Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Days have passed, and the more I listen, the only songs I still fux wit is Dollar, hood politics, lie to kick it, and thats about it.

I take my 8.5 back and give it a solid 7.5. Kendrick sounds like a babbling retard @ times brehs :yeshrug:

Yeezus might be better than this, and I hated that sh1t :lupe:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Kendrick already "broke through" so to speak with his wins for "I" this year so he's definitely no longer a "black sheep" so to speak. He's a true critical and media darling in the vein of 2003-04 era Kanye West. His talent DEMANDS respect.

I'm still HIGHLY pissed that Nas got shafted in 2013 with Life Is Good. There's no goddamn way that Take fukking Care was a better album than LIG or that nikkas In Paris was a better WRITTEN song than Daughters. I'd truly hope that the Hip Hop voters are starting to awaken to the fact that our mainstream representation of the ART does in fact send a message to the overall culture. And I'm not talking in terms of "white acceptance" or that a Grammy "validates" you. I'm talking on a larger scale, the music that gets rewarded and gets the push shapes how the industry in turn promotes the genre. We're at a point right now, where it feels like we are entering an era where there is a renewed focus on lyricism and craft over stunting, trap, and bullshyt filler music. If we want to make sure that this current path continues its momentum we NEED to do all that we can as fans and Artists to show that this is indeed what we prefer. Whether it be with our wallets in purchasing albums or with our votes in rewarding the music that we deem superior

Dunno man. The Grammys tend to reward the most popular music. It's a trade awards show, so if you helped the industry by selling records...chances are you're going to get an award eventually. That's why I don't take it seriously. Guys like Hov and Eminem win everything because they're established earners and the voters recognize them. If Macklemore didn't beat Kendrick in 2013, Jay would have.

Funny thing about Nas is that if rap awards were determined by the same rules that determine other genres, he probably would have won. Legacy (ie established) artists who release serious projects tend to beat the younger acts. But because it's hip hop there are now rules and Drake won. I understand why he won beyond that - Take Care was a project that defined the sound of mainstream rap at the time. But obviously LIG is a better album.

The thing that really surprised me was Nas losing for Cherry Wine. Usually they love giving out awards for posthumous stuff like that.

Daps
Days have passed, and the more I listen, the only songs I still fux wit is Dollar, hood politics, lie to kick it, and thats about it.

I take my 8.5 back and give it a solid 7.5. Kendrick sounds like a babbling retard @ times brehs :yeshrug:

Yeezus might be better than this, and I hated that sh1t :lupe:

:stopitslime:

fukk you listening to?

:pacspit:

Look both ways before you cross my mind :mindblown:

Tony D'Amato

Daps
Reppin
Inches

Just my opinion brehs
S3A0UBc.png

I shoulda just coped those songs in Play store and saved my money on the whole album

Tony D'Amato

Daps
Reppin
Inches
You not feeling Institutionalized, Momma, or Mortal Man either? :whew:

I ain't knocking if you don't like the album tho. But Yeezus being better :comeon:
Mortal man i a wack as hell to me. Institutionalized was cool, but Its not something I want to listen to again. Momma's still cool doe.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
The short of it: Kendrick Duckworth Lamar is special. Special in that there are not many, if any, quite like him who can do what he's currently doing. He has a special ability to create full albums that are conceptually creative and engaging throughout. He is a credit to the genre of rap and one of the latest shining examples of those pushing the culture forward. Is he the first, only, or last to do something compelling in music? Of course not. But he is definitely doing something exceptional, right now. He's doing something few artists have the creativity or courage to accomplish. The concepts and stories that he's extending over full feature-length albums takes patience, thoughtfulness, and attention--qualities that most artists lack. The messages that he's delivering from his growing platform are bold and radical and should be celebrated and debated. I was curious to see what he would do as a follow-up to the outstanding GKMC. Simply put, my negus exceeded any expectations I might've had. The brooding commentary about and telling of the black experience that he just did over this jazzy and funky soundscape is pretty incredible. Kudos to everyone who was involved in this ill project. nikkas gotta step they rap games up. Tuck they little albums in for awhile and let this shyt breathe. All hail King Kendrick the Great!