Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Gotta Big-Up some young BK NEGUS:salute: on the train, that let me know Best Buy was selling the album early. $18.99 sticker:huhldup:, had me feeling like a 90s Kid about to cop Wu-Tang Forever, Life Is Death, and the Art of War:boss: But, it only ranged up to $13.99:krs: Who'd think a new gen rapper have me studying a CD booklet in 2015:flabbynsick:. Anyway, nuthin compares putting To Pimp My Butterfly in the disc chamber (to import into the Ipod:whoa:) and Pressing Play for the first time:

tumblr_mskidwPzbE1sehnpvo1_500.gif

...one of you Coli Photoshop GAWDz gif KDOT on that lil NEGUS, to make the cypher complete:mjcry:
The sticker said 18.99 but I got it at the register for 13.99. Classic brehs, I haven't brought a Hip Hop albums since the The Carter 3 and before that Stankonia.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
is this in all stores yet?
was last monday the real first release date?
I want to buy first week
Lupe isn't interesting and doesn't relate to many listeners, but he's a amazing talent and his content is dope.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I love the concept, the name of the album is a classic along. Black Butterfly was a track by Deneice Williams. To Pimp a Butterfly plays on the words of Black Butterfly meaning. That song is about the birth of a Black child has been born and what to expect and give them knowledge to raise above.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"shyt don't change...until you wash yo ass nikka". Institutionalized, For Sale and Wesley's Theory have grown the most on me during the week. I thought this was a classic before, but its just growing with every ride in the car. Can't listen to anything else. :blessed:

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
Yup it's a masterpiece. I'm thinking of buying the CD now

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
"shyt don't change...until you wash yo ass nikka". Institutionalized, For Sale and Wesley's Theory have grown the most on me during the week. I thought this was a classic before, but its just growing with every ride in the car. Can't listen to anything else.
shyts a struggle, I need to make a "I'm addicted to TPAB" self help group:mjcry:

I'm listening to whoo kids sirius mix right now trying to switch it up thinking "I just wanna listen to TPAB":mjcry:

Dev2103

All Star
Daps
Best hip hop album in years and I was never a big Kendrick fan :salute:Content, delivery, production..it's all there.

Last edited:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Yea but who's doing the "pimping" then?

I like that analogy but it doesn't fit into kendricks story.

It's not about him vs white people but him battling vs himself. Or blacks with talent power or influence using that status looking after their own people.

I can dig it.

But with my analogy, the white people are doing the pimping, like they've been doing for nearly 500 years. They see "potential" . They claim to harness it, and they use it until they see that there is no more use for it anymore.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I know but Lupe (who I grew up to) and Kendrick address some of the same topics, but they tell it very differently.

Like Lupe will educate you about shyt, but Kendrick goes about it like a war chief :blackbands:

Lupe will say that the system is designed to keep blacks down and tell you how wrong it is.
Kendrick will tell you to burn that motherfukker down and anyone who gets in the way can catch a stray. :blackbands:

Basically, Lupe is like a school teacher.
Kendrick is one of those nikkas was from scared straight.

They're both telling you the right things, and ultimately they're speaking the same message, but the latter has that aggression that draws you in.
While I am not sure about the analogy, I will say that they have different styles but both tell it through their music.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I know it's days old, but I just had to highlight this post for the sake of how awful it is.

Acting like T&Y is the first time he's made good music when his first two albums are both great is fukkboy shyt. Hurt Me soul, kick push, the coolest, hip hop saved my life, American terrorist, streets on fire, superstar, high definition, daydream, etc, etc all great songs.

Ain't nobody caping for Lasers. We all know it wasn't good, but let's not get crazy with revisionist history like Lu just figured out how to make songs :pachaha:.

The Coolest is a painfully boring beat and chorus. It baffles the mind you can be moved by such dull instrumentation.

Daydream is terrible. Jill Scott is hip hop cancer.

Lu basically DID just figure out how to make legit dope songs. And he kinda used a K Dot template/producer.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I love the concept, the name of the album is a classic along. Black Butterfly was a track by Deneice Williams. To Pimp a Butterfly plays on the words of Black Butterfly meaning. That song is about the birth of a Black child has been born and what to expect and give them knowledge to raise above.

Whatchoo know 'bout sum dam 'Niecy?