Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
My problem with Lupe stans is that they conflate technical ability with good music. Lupe is an amazing rapper with complex lyricism but that doesn't mean he makes great music. Just like Eminem is technically a great rapper but that doesn't mean he makes good music.

I like Lupe's new album because it marries his complexity with some good song writing and beats. That hasn't always been the case for him. F&L2 is wack because everything surrounding the lyricism is meh. Lasers is him overthinking pop rap and looking like a fool.

Music isn't just technical proficiency. Yall sound like Yngwie Malmsteen stans who praise his technical ability and act like it elevates his music beyond masturbatory wankery. Nah. I'll take the "simple" guitar brilliance of BB King or Paul McCartney over that any day of the week. Songwriting wins.

Make and argument agianst Lupe and act like Food & Liqour and The Cool don't exist brehs

Your argument is trash if you just blatantly ignoring albums

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From the minute I heard of the album's title I fell in love with it because I tonight it was about white supremacy b*stardizing, corrupting , hating and using black people when we as a people are much better than that.

Cacs are pimping nikkas out like we're cheap hoes when we're really something special - like a butterfly.

Anything else would be a disappointment for me since this is most logical and provocative.

Yea. It can definitely mean that too. I just wouldn't limit it to that. The albums more about Kendrick himself and black people than white people.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been listening to this album since it dropped. I'm over 30 years old, and I don't give a fukk. This shyt here is an instant classic. Although they're two different albums, I think this actually surpasses GKMC slightly. People throw the word classic around a lot, but it applies here. There are a lot of albums with the classic label that really didn't stand the test of time (e.g. GRODT). I will say that it's difficult to pick singles off this album because the songs work best within the context of the album. GKMC flowed like that as well, but it had more songs that could stand alone.

Another thing, I don't know if this was mentioned, and I thought it was pretty obvious off first listen, but Lucy/Lucifer is a pimp. The devil is trying to pimp Kendrick (the butterfly).

Yea, gkmc is not a classic on any level. It's just more "hip hop". Musically and artistically this new album is classic, but lyrically I don't think so. As a concept album it's pretty amazing.

Yea but Lucy as the pimp? :ohhh: I think Kendrick is doing the pimping, cause he's beating Lucy at his/ own game

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm confused--the Target and Best Buy ads claim they have a "deluxe version" of the CD. What do they mean by deluxe? Doesn't appear they have any extra songs or even different cover art.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
I have a bunch of thoughts on this album but one I want you guys to help me with is on For Free

I mean, baby
You really think we could make a baby named Mercedes
Without a Mercedes Benz and twenty four inch rims
Five percent tint, and air conditioning vents
Hell fukkin' naw,

Is he talking about taking out loans, and buying things before he actually is anywhere near having the money to own it. Whole song makes sense but I've been stuck there.

I take it as him asking uncle sam or the industry to give him something if they want to use his talent.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
mortal man been on repeat all day!!
:mjcry:when shyt hit the fan is you still a fan??

i am one of those who was lucky enough to not have mortal man ruined by social media, so when pac's voice came on:ooh::ohlawd::mjcry:

When I saw the thread tittle update to "discussion" I got out of the booth and didn't come back until I finished the whole thing, when his voice came up I was like :damn::lawd: :banderas:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Yea, gkmc is not a classic on any level. It's just more "hip hop". Musically and artistically this new album is classic, but lyrically I don't think so. As a concept album it's pretty amazing.

Yea but Lucy as the pimp? :ohhh: I think Kendrick is doing the pimping, cause he's beating Lucy at his/ own game

You said your name was Lucy. I said where's Ricardo:banderas:

...am I the only one hearing KDot channel X's Damien :devil:, tho:ohhh:
He sounds more like Suga Free to me. He got that pimp voice going. The devil is trying to pimp him, but he had enough resolve not to succumb.

Daps
You said your name was Lucy. I said where's Ricardo:banderas:

...am I the only one hearing KDot channel X's Damien :devil:, tho:ohhh:
yeah
If I remember correctly..that was one of his top 25 albums..that complex list he did a while back

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
brehs, i'm loosing my mind. songs usually don't have this effect on me.
:lawd:how much a dollar cost
:banderas:mortal man

:damn:...is it jacky, is it jesse, oh i know it's michael jackson
:ohlawd: 0oooh!!!
:mjcry:when shyt hit the fan is you still a fan!!!
my nikka had to put out a warning before he goes full Pac fresh out of jail
eyyav.png

these mf's in the music industry bout to start coming for his head if he doesn't start pushing more sterotypes and spread more propaganda:mjcry: