Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
Just when I think I'm getting close to crack this fukking album

I had saw it as the caterpillars don't realize their potential, and butterflys are shun because they are doing better than most (in whatever subjective way) / group dynamics (smartest kids always getting shytted on in class for being perceived a threat to the others")

caterpillars and butterflys although different in form, are one in the same meaning caterpillars all the potential in them to transform into butterflys :patrice:

not really sure about the whole race thing, but Kenny's main message since atleast S80 is to love yourself and become an independent person

This metaphor could as well be done using ugly duckling and turning it into a swan or some shyt :ohhh:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I've been listening to this album since it dropped. I'm over 30 years old, and I don't give a fukk. This shyt here is an instant classic. Although they're two different albums, I think this actually surpasses GKMC slightly. People throw the word classic around a lot, but it applies here. There are a lot of albums with the classic label that really didn't stand the test of time (e.g. GRODT). I will say that it's difficult to pick singles off this album because the songs work best within the context of the album. GKMC flowed like that as well, but it had more songs that could stand alone.

Another thing, I don't know if this was mentioned, and I thought it was pretty obvious off first listen, but Lucy/Lucifer is a pimp. The devil is trying to pimp Kendrick (the butterfly).

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
"How many leaders you said you needed and left em for dead?!" That song got me in my feels heavy, but especially that line:wow:. I wanna love like Nelson, I wanna be like nelson, I wanna walk in his shoes but my peace making seldom:wow:.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I have a bunch of thoughts on this album but one I want you guys to help me with is on For Free

I mean, baby
You really think we could make a baby named Mercedes
Without a Mercedes Benz and twenty four inch rims
Five percent tint, and air conditioning vents
Hell fukkin' naw,

Is he talking about taking out loans, and buying things before he actually is anywhere near having the money to own it. Whole song makes sense but I've been stuck there.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Coli Bro that said GKMC's a John Singleton flck, and TPAB's a Spike Lee joint:salute:

...that means next lp's gonna be Hughes Bros motion picture:ahh:

nikka We Gon Be Alright

tumblr_mlkph4wJee1qlkt4ho1_400.gif

:blessed:

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
U is a great track that I respect but right now it's the only track I skip, I just can't listen to Kendrick drunk crying flow over and over

I'm think album might be as good as GKMC right now

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
My problem with Lupe stans is that they conflate technical ability with good music. Lupe is an amazing rapper with complex lyricism but that doesn't mean he makes great music. Just like Eminem is technically a great rapper but that doesn't mean he makes good music.

I like Lupe's new album because it marries his complexity with some good song writing and beats. That hasn't always been the case for him. F&L2 is wack because everything surrounding the lyricism is meh. Lasers is him overthinking pop rap and looking like a fool.

Music isn't just technical proficiency. Yall sound like Yngwie Malmsteen stans who praise his technical ability and act like it elevates his music beyond masturbatory wankery. Nah. I'll take the "simple" guitar brilliance of BB King or Paul McCartney over that any day of the week. Songwriting wins.

I know it's days old, but I just had to highlight this post for the sake of how awful it is.

Acting like T&Y is the first time he's made good music when his first two albums are both great is fukkboy shyt. Hurt Me soul, kick push, the coolest, hip hop saved my life, American terrorist, streets on fire, superstar, high definition, daydream, etc, etc all great songs.

Ain't nobody caping for Lasers. We all know it wasn't good, but let's not get crazy with revisionist history like Lu just figured out how to make songs :pachaha:.

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
Giving it my first real listen today.

Just bought "Every ****** is a Star" on iTunes. Never heard this but it's dope as fukk!

These Walls....lyrics are potent as a mother fukker.

The whole caterpillar/coc00n/butterfly/sex/physical prison/ mental prison/killer flip is crazy.

Last edited:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:patrice:

I look at it as white people wanting nothing to do with us until they believe they see "value" in us.

Yea but who's doing the "pimping" then?

I like that analogy but it doesn't fit into kendricks story.

It's not about him vs white people but him battling vs himself. Or blacks with talent power or influence using that status looking after their own people.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Yea but who's doing the "pimping" then?

I like that analogy but it doesn't fit into kendricks story.

It's not about him vs white people but him battling vs himself. Or blacks with talent power or influence using that status looking after their own people.

From the minute I heard of the album's title I fell in love with it because I tonight it was about white supremacy b*stardizing, corrupting , hating and using black people when we as a people are much better than that.

Cacs are pimping nikkas out like we're cheap hoes when we're really something special - like a butterfly.

Anything else would be a disappointment for me since this is most logical and provocative.