Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
No coincidence both this and t&y are 78 minutes long and neither feel drawn out. It won't when there's literally no filler on the album. Every song has purpose, a message, and hits hard.

Let a great cook. Screw a song length. I'd prefer the creative pallet not be restrained. With that said I don't listen to the Pac conversation after every listen. Album wouldn't be the same without that bringing it all together though.

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
Just when I think I'm getting close to crack this fukking album

I had saw it as the caterpillars don't realize their potential, and butterflys are shun because they are doing better than most (in whatever subjective way) / group dynamics (smartest kids always getting shytted on in class for being perceived a threat to the others")

caterpillars and butterflys although different in form, are one in the same meaning caterpillars all the potential in them to transform into butterflys :patrice:

not really sure about the whole race thing, but Kenny's main message since atleast S80 is to love yourself and become an independent person

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No coincidence both this and t&y are 78 minutes long and neither feel drawn out. It won't when there's literally no filler on the album. Every song has purpose, a message, and hits hard.

Let a great cook. Screw a song length. I'd prefer the creative pallet not be restrained. With that said I don't listen to the Pac conversation after every listen. Album wouldn't be the same without that bringing it all together though.

I've been listening to the album in it's entirety and I agree. It doesn't seem like I've spent that long listening to it.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Momma" is slept on for some reason.

My fav song on the album

Yea, I said this off the first listen like 100 pages back.

A few people dapped me up:manny:

I still say it's the best overall, but a few other tracks have grew on me. The clear best to everyone seems to be "u".

"Alright" should be that one commercial hit he needs, especially since pharrell on it.:myman:

People hate on King kunta and I did too at first but now I got that song is on repeat.:patrice:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just when I think I'm getting close to crack this fukking album

I had saw it as the caterpillars don't realize their potential, and butterflys are shun because they are doing better than most (in whatever subjective way) / group dynamics (smartest kids always getting shytted on in class for being perceived a threat to the others")

caterpillars and butterflys although different in form, are one in the same meaning caterpillars all the potential in them to transform into butterflys :patrice:

It's crazy. I wrote something years ago inspired by Big Boi's line from "In Due Time" where says "You looking to be a butterfly without the caterpillar". I was thinking about that and wrote something about how the butterfly is looked at for it's beauty. It's also looked at because it flies. The caterpillar on the other hand is seen as ugly and it can't fly, but crawls. It's kind of a symbol for success (butterfly) and struggling (caterpillar). There's also the element that a caterpillar isolates itself inside of a coc00n in order to become a butterfly. The metamorphosis that takes place inside the coc00n is overlooked.

Listening to this album and hearing how he's using the butterfly as a metaphor is interesting. Especially, since he adds "pimp" to it. When the title of the album was revealed, I thought about how butterflies are "pimped" and the only thing I could come up with are those gardens where they put them on display. They are harvested with one of the purposes being people flocking to see them. America does the same.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Kenny's girl at signing?
CApjdQ2VIAABed-.jpg:large

This caught me by surprise. If there's any rapper who I was confident would wife a sista it's Kendrick. Maybe she's just light/biracial.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's crazy. I wrote something years ago inspired by Big Boi's line from "In Due Time" where says "You looking to be a butterfly without the caterpillar". I was thinking about that and wrote something about how the butterfly is looked at for it's beauty. It's also looked at because it flies. The caterpillar on the other hand is seen as ugly and it can't fly, but crawls. It's kind of a symbol for success (butterfly) and struggling (caterpillar). There's also the element that a caterpillar isolates itself inside of a coc00n in order to become a butterfly. The metamorphosis that takes place inside the coc00n is overlooked.

Listening to this album and hearing how he's using the butterfly as a metaphor is interesting. Especially, since he adds "pimp" to it. When the title of the album was revealed, I thought about how butterflies are "pimped" and the only thing I could come up with are those gardens where they put them on display. They are harvested with one of the purposes being people flocking to see them. America does the same.

I think pimping the butterfly is making the most of your fame/talent without selling out and still being the cattipilar even though you don't appear to be one.

"Actually they are one in the same". But Kendrick realizes he can't be seen as the a caterpillar since he's now a star but he doesn't want to be seen as a butterfly only, a thing that the rest of the cattipilars don't identify with and see as weak, or an outsider etc... Something they can't become.

In Kendricks case he's using his butterfly status and rap career to get money of course but to also help his family, friends and give a positive message and teach the youth, something most butterfly's fail to do. They'd rather leave the hood and look down on the caterpillars after success. Basically they forget where they came from, and change literally just like a catepillars do physically in appearance but also metaphorically because

They'll become successful rich and famous stars but turn their back on the same harsh environment (coc00n) and people that motivated them to succeed and then they don't "use their influence/fame/talent for good" they misuse it.

but Kendrick doesn't wanna be this type of butterfly. So he pimps it, from a caterpillars perspective and uses it to his own advantage while still being the caterpillar (or at least seen as one or remembered to be one). It's like he maintains two identities, he's constantly struggling with as you can see though out the album.

Remember in "momma" the kid says "you DO speak my language"? Like he's suprised famous Kendrick can still related to him.

It's all about identity and remaing true to yourself after fame. Like Tupac managed to do. It's like balancing a contradiction or two conflicting identities.

That's why I say it's the same as " the Rose that grew from concrete"

You gotta remember. Every butterfly used to be a cattipilar and every "nikka is a star" or butterfly.... At least they have the potential to be.

Last edited:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
These Walls is the first song on this album that's truly great IMO and instant rewind status when I play it through.

That beat got me vibing like MJ in the Rock With You music video brehs

She just wanna close her eyes and sway....WITH YOU WITH YOU WITH YOUUUU

rock-with-you-o.gif

exercise her right to work it out....IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUEEE.

rock-with-you-mj-o.gif

IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK....

106hti1.jpg

I COULD FEEL THE RAIN WHEN IT CRIES....GOLD LIVES INSIDE OF YOUUUUUU :noah:

IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK

309lzmc.jpg

I LOVE IT WHEN I'M IN IT....I LOVE IT WHEN I'M IN IT...I LOVE IT WHEN I'M IN IT :noah:

Song so damn groovy I almost get annoyed when Kendrick does the acapella third verse. Like nikka STFU and let bilal, the white girl and the band get back to cooking :damn:

Last edited: