Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I fukk with Mortal Man

I ain't gonna lie tho, he did use Pac for that "wow" :wow: factor.

I can see how people wouldn't fukk with it :manny:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gotta Big-Up some young BK NEGUS:salute: on the train, that let me know Best Buy was selling the album early. $18.99 sticker:huhldup:, had me feeling like a 90s Kid about to cop Wu-Tang Forever, Life Is Death, and the Art of War:boss: But, it only ranged up to $13.99:krs: Who'd think a new gen rapper have me studying a CD booklet in 2015:flabbynsick:. Anyway, nuthin compares putting To Pimp My Butterfly in the disc chamber (to import into the Ipod:whoa:) and Pressing Play for the first time:

tumblr_mskidwPzbE1sehnpvo1_500.gif

...one of you Coli Photoshop GAWDz gif KDOT on that lil NEGUS, to make the cypher complete:mjcry:

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Don't know why people act like metacritic isn't reputable. metacritic score is an average of all the critics reviews. Mosta time metacritic score does reflect the quality of an album.

It's kinda like if all the homies gave a review on a bytch. If everyone is saying the p*ssy is good, then it must be good :yeshrug:

This!

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
metacritic isn't the be all and end all. to me the quality of an album has different criteria. critics are the least important to me. what the fans think, or what other musicians and rappers think are also important. but how you relate to the album after times passes is the most important. i also take metacritic with a pinch of salt, its a lot of stuff they raved, like the movie Social Network, which i suppose is technically good, but i don't care for it.

so just cause metacritic dapped it up doesn't mean its the best, but it is accurate to say its the most critically praised consensus rap album of all time along with stankonia. thats just a fact. thats not the be all and end all, but as far as critical acclaim from the music experts, its has that lane sewed up.

Last edited:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Lol I can sense the defensiveness and tension over this last page. Why can't both albums be masterpieces? Just eat and be thankful we got two extremely well put together albums. We already stated which we prefer several times I'm sure. Just leave it at that and enjoy both.

I've listened to both at least once the past 3 days. Besides one skin of Joey Bada$$ nothing else has been able to hold my interest. This is timeless music.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
meteoritic isnt the be all and end all. to me the quality of an album has different criteria. critics are the least important to me. what the fans think, or what other musicians and rappers think are also important. but how you relate to the album after times passes is the most important. i also take metacritic with a pinch of salt, its a lot of stuff they raved, like the movie Social Network, which i suppose is technically good, but i don't care for it.

so just cause metacritic dapped it up doesn't mean its the best, but it is accurate to say its the most critically praised consensus rap album of all time along with stankonia. thats just a fact. thats not the be all and end all, but as far as critical acclaim form the music experts, its has that lane sewed up.
Exactly. I rather gauge how the other MCs rappers react to the music and what impact/change it has on the game before I cited these media hype beast.

Metacritic doesn't give the scores but they acknowledge a lot of trash publications like pitchfork and Rolling Stones then throw their bullshyt into the mix

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a week later my favorites songs in order

1) alright
2) these walls
3) king kunta
4) mortal man
5) momma
6) complexion
7) institutionalised
8) how much a dollar cost
9) blacker the berry
10) hood politics
11) u
12) wesleys theory
13) i
14) you aint gotta lie

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
If dikk riding hipster cac publications like pitchfork influence your opinion on what albums are masterpieces and which aren't I feel bad for you.

Both albums are fantastic.
YALL nikkas swear yall bout this being black shyt, then a nikka drops a universally acclaimed. PRO BLACK AS fukk ALBUM. And not in the Lupe way where he's on some peaceful shyt. Kendrick, is on some fukk AMERICA shyt. While incorporating historically black sounds and genres into a modern form. And yall nikkas have the nerve to criticize it :laff:

Critically acclaimed? Check.
Lyrically amazing? Check
Great songwriting? Check.
Pro-Black? Check
Speaking for black youth in a generation where nikkas are being killed like dogs? Check.
Great production? Check
Amazing concept? Check.
Anti-Racism? Check.
BARS? Check.
Using historically black genres? Check.
Easter eggs everywhere? Check
Multitude of flows? Check.

I mean what more could you want from a project? I don't understand how any black man could sit with a straight face and not love this album. It ain't like "cac publications" ARE looking for positive black music :laff: if anything they would pan a black rage against the machine type of album. Unless of course the project In itself was undeniably amazing. Which it is. I just don't understand. This just makes me believe more and more that most of the Coli isn't black. I expect people elsewhere to hate. But most of the disdain for this project that I've seen has come from a "predominately black" site. Or at the very least predominately POC.

How everyone here isn't happy that we have an artist that stayed true to himself, and true to his people, while delivering a masterpiece that is so undeniable that even "cac publications"'who normally pan powerful black music in this era see it as a beautiful masterpiece, is beyond fukking me. You guys should be ashamed.

:laff:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
YALL nikkas swear yall bout this being black shyt, then a nikka drops a universally acclaimed. PRO BLACK AS fukk ALBUM. And not in the Lupe way where he's on some peaceful shyt. Kendrick, is on some fukk AMERICA shyt. While incorporating historically black sounds and genres into a modern form. And yall nikkas have the nerve to criticize it :laff:

Critically acclaimed? Check.
Lyrically amazing? Check
Great songwriting? Check.
Pro-Black? Check
Speaking for black youth? Check.
Great production? Check
Amazing concept? Check.
Anti-Racism? Check.
BARS? Check.
Using historically black genres? Check.
Easter eggs everywhere? Check
Multitude of flows? Check.

I mean what more could you want from a project? I don't understand how any black man could sit with a straight face and not love this album. It ain't like "cac publications" ARE looking for positive black music :laff: if anything they would pan a black rage against the machine type of album. Unless of course the project In itself was undeniably amazing. Which it is. I just don't understand. This just makes me believe more and more that most of the Coli isn't black. I expect people elsewhere to hate. But most of the disdain for this project that I've seen has come from a "predominately black" site. Or at the very least predominately POC.

How everyone here isn't happy that we have an artist that stayed true to himself, and true to his people, while delivering a masterpiece that is so undeniable that even "cac publications"'who normally pan powerful black music in this era see it as a beautiful masterpiece, is beyond fukking me. You guys should be ashamed.

:laff:

I don't care what dikk riding cacs who deem stuff like yeezus to be a masterpiece have to say about hip hop. Metacritic means nothing to me. Why this bothers you so much is bizarre to me. I've said all throughout this thread the album is amazing for the record.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
a week later my favorites songs in order

1) alright
2) these walls
3) king kunta
4) mortal man
5) momma
6) complexion
7) institutionalised
8) how much a dollar cost
9) blacker the berry
10) hood politics
11) u
12) wesleys theory
13) i
14) you aint gotta lie

I see no reason why for free and especially for sale shouldn't count as songs.