Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Heard T&Y for the first time yesterday. It's a cool album, but it got some beats on there that sound like some white boys made them. Definitely not on the level of this soulful masterpiece.
Why would that matter the beats are still fire?
Though I like the beats on this album and this album in general much more.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
YALL nikkas swear yall bout this being black shyt, then a nikka drops a universally acclaimed. PRO BLACK AS fukk ALBUM. And not in the Lupe way where he's on some peaceful shyt.
"Peaceful"

The ghetto was a physical manifestation
of hate in a place where ethnicity determines your placement
A place that defines your station
Remind you nikkas your place is the basement
White people in the attic
nikkas sellin' dope, white people is the addicts
White folks act like they ain't show us how to traffic
All that dope to China, you don't call that trappin'?
+Breaking Bad+, learned that from a TV
So don't say it's politics when you see me
When you gon' apologize for your CD
nikka, that don't match red and black to a GD

"Peaceful"

You a prisoner too, you living here too
You just like us, til' your shift get through
You could look like us, you know shyt get through
You should be in cuffs like us, you should get strike 2
You should get like life, you should get like woo!
You should get that twice! You should get refused

"Peaceful"

White T on they shoulders
What drags em off through the streets
In the whip wit' they soldiers
Stations of the police
Trying to stick all this time to me
Trying to stick all these crimes to me
Could you just send a dime to me
Mama please send a sign to me
What's looking like life?
Is probation and a fine to me
Lawyer said I'd be alright
But I think that he lying to me
They really wanna throw those lines to me
Put me in a line, put the knives to me
Put me in the sky, put it to my side
Then push it inside of me

:snoop:

Don't even reply to me breh :timmyimout:

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No, I'm no saying its exempt from criticism. I'm saying the margin for actual criticism is so small for this album why even do it. It's a near perfect album.
That's up for debate. The album is still fresh so only time will tell

Criticism will differ between people

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
I'm not sure why we're still comparing T&Y to this album

TPAB, like FHD is the "Black Experience in America for Dummies and Whites"

meanwhile T&Y actually gets in depth with real issues

but I'ma let ya'll cook :sas2:

This is likely the best statement in regards to the two albums and how they relate to one another.

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
is this in all stores yet?
was last monday the real first release date?
I want to buy first week

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Listening to 'Momma' while i cook. Thinking that's a fly little Donny Hathaway sample....Check the liners and it's Lalah???? She sample her dad or does she just sound exactly like him?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:banderas:

I noticed the Rap Genius is saying he's talking about Compton. Says the kid was throwing around a football like Ricky in Boyz In Tha Hood. But I disagree, I think he went home to Africa in this song and met the boy there. Says he's tossing around a football with ashy ankles...which suggests he's kicking a soccer ball. Kendrick went to South Africa last year, I think that's what he's talking about. Saying we speak the same language but he couldn't understand due to America clouding his mind.

Momma is Africa.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
YALL nikkas swear yall bout this being black shyt, then a nikka drops a universally acclaimed. PRO BLACK AS fukk ALBUM. And not in the Lupe way where he's on some peaceful shyt. Kendrick, is on some fukk AMERICA shyt. While incorporating historically black sounds and genres into a modern form. And yall nikkas have the nerve to criticize it :laff:

Critically acclaimed? Check.
Lyrically amazing? Check
Great songwriting? Check.
Pro-Black? Check
Speaking for black youth in a generation where nikkas are being killed like dogs? Check.
Great production? Check
Amazing concept? Check.
Anti-Racism? Check.
BARS? Check.
Using historically black genres? Check.
Easter eggs everywhere? Check
Multitude of flows? Check.

I mean what more could you want from a project? I don't understand how any black man could sit with a straight face and not love this album. It ain't like "cac publications" ARE looking for positive black music :laff: if anything they would pan a black rage against the machine type of album. Unless of course the project In itself was undeniably amazing. Which it is. I just don't understand. This just makes me believe more and more that most of the Coli isn't black. I expect people elsewhere to hate. But most of the disdain for this project that I've seen has come from a "predominately black" site. Or at the very least predominately POC.

How everyone here isn't happy that we have an artist that stayed true to himself, and true to his people, while delivering a masterpiece that is so undeniable that even "cac publications"'who normally pan powerful black music in this era see it as a beautiful masterpiece, is beyond fukking me. You guys should be ashamed.

:laff:
The reason for this apparent disconnect is because most "cac publications" are liberal arts folks who appreciate meaningful music and art. Whereas the majority of hip hop fans, black or otherwise, want to hear "typical" hip hop music, which in 2015 is kind of the opposite of what Kendrick put out.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Album is very good but not quite the wave i'm on with this summertime LA weather starting to cook. It'll happen naturally. I ain't forcing it. Pause.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps

I noticed the Rap Genius is saying he's talking about Compton. Says the kid was throwing around a football like Ricky in Boyz In Tha Hood. But I disagree, I think he went home to Africa in this song and met the boy there. Says he's tossing around a football with ashy ankles...which suggests he's kicking a soccer ball. Kendrick went to South Africa last year, I think that's what he's talking about. Saying we speak the same language but he couldn't understand due to America clouding his mind.

Momma is Africa.
Rap Genuis gets a lot of shyt wrong and there's always a bunch of reaching going on. I get more from this thread than Rap Genuis. I would like to do a track by track breakdown but I'm not trying to define music and put it in some box I think it's all open to what the lyrics mean to you.

Daps

Momma is Africa.
He's talking about a trip he took to Africa here, that's what he said all that shyt he thought he knew, he didn't know shyt. All the progress he thought he made was bullshyt.