Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Man, I shouldn't have to let an album grow on me or give it 5+ spins to really judge it or like it. If someone puts some shyt food in front of me, I'm not going to eat half the damn meal before I decide its garbage. The album was decent after two listens (the second with headphones), but it wasnt soul shattering or anything like that. I just hope the same people telling others how to listen to it do the same with other rappers they don't fukk with. It'll be interesting to see how many of these same people will be calling Drake or kanye album garbage after one listen.

And :mjlol: @ someone being a c00n or a cac just because they don't like this.

:heh: @ someones ability to understand music being called into question because they think its garbage.

When did rap snobs become a thing? These dudes are just as pretentious and obnoxious as the dude they idol
Ima drake fan but he doesn't have a album that deserve this type of in depth listening, it's music u get from the jump, it doesn't have underlining tones or stories going on. His best album(take care) was great cause it created a mood and a feel wit the help of the weekend, His music is filled wit catchy hooks, great melodies, hot beats. But the songs aren't cohesive enough where u fill u need to focus that hard to get

Not to say Kendrick lyrics are lupe level, it's just that piecing together the story take time and a couple listens. But if u not feeling the vibe, mood and beats from the jump it will be hard to truly get it. That why I don't really trip on people not liking, some people just want hard beats that bang

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Man, I shouldn't have to let an album grow on me or give it 5+ spins to really judge it or like it. If someone puts some shyt food in front of me, I'm not going to eat half the damn meal before I decide its garbage. The album was decent after two listens (the second with headphones), but it wasnt soul shattering or anything like that. I just hope the same people telling others how to listen to it do the same with other rappers they don't fukk with. It'll be interesting to see how many of these same people will be calling Drake or kanye album garbage after one listen.

And :mjlol: @ someone being a c00n or a cac just because they don't like this.

:heh: @ someones ability to understand music being called into question because they think its garbage.

When did rap snobs become a thing? These dudes are just as pretentious and obnoxious as the dude they idol

If you don't like the album, that's fine, it's obviously not for everybody. But in a general sense, there are many albums that are considered growers and albums that are very appealing on the 1st listen and then quickly lose their appeal over time. This isn't just something that's true with this particular album. But to be real, this album definitely does get better with each listen without a doubt if you dig it at all.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Ima drake fan but he doesn't have a album that deserve this type of in depth listening, it's music u get from the jump, it doesn't have underlining tones or stories going on. His best album(take care) was great cause it created a mood and a feel wit the help of the weekend, His music is filled wit catchy hooks, great melodies, hot beats. But the songs aren't cohesive enough where u fill u need to focus that hard to get

Not to say Kendrick lyrics are lupe level, it's just that piecing together the story take time and a couple listens. But if u not feeling the vibe, mood and beats from the jump it will be hard to truly get it. That why I don't really trip on people not liking, some people just want hard beats that bang
You aint gotta try so hard :mjcry:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
That doesn't even make sense, risks is all he took with this album.
Never heard anything close to sounding like this except the best song of course (The blacker the berry), which was a bit more standard.
This whole album was a giant risk :dead: from the cover to album art to a funk filled intro and jazz and neo soul throughout the album with no radio friendly songs after having not dropped an album in going on three years :deadrose:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@GoldenGlove, so you didn't fukks with the first verse of Momma either? The song itself just misses my top 5. As the other cat said too, the simplicity of the 2nd version along with the message behind it makes it dope. Perhaps you got a bit numbed to it hearing it on that "freestyle". Still though, considering how the young and dumb usually think they know everything, I think it's a good message for them about that.
I think that had something to do with it. 1st verse is straight. It's not a bad song, I just don't like it as much as others do.

Last edited:

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
This whole album was a giant risk :dead: from the cover to album art to a funk filled intro and jazz and neo soul throughout the album with no radio friendly songs after having not dropped an album in going on three years :deadrose:
Bruh when he said that I totally wrote dude off as a poster, I mean I been knew he was a clown wit the cole hate and drake dikkriding, but this took it to the next level. This album is so far away from the sound of the current rap scene. To say he didn't take enough of a risk is grade a trash posting son.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Kendrick likes to have these little characters in his albums(since its a story) "Sherena" or whatever her name was, was the character centered in GKMC. Now its Lucy(Devil). Like I said Lucy wants Kendrick to adopt to consumerism like these other rappers and rap about the same cliche shyt like money, cars and all that other crap. Fighting against consumerism is one of the main themes of this album. Lucy basically is the antagonist trying to corrupt Kendrick and make him sell out. This is why I LOVE "For Sale?" Because it tells us Kendrick wont be selling out(for a while now).

Show my mother the song and she liked it.

Brady-Carter

It is what it is..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDot
Listen to this album a bunch more times. This album is really good. Catching new things the more I listen to it. Knew this was a really good album when I caught my self in the grocery store full out head bobbing to it today. :heh:

Not a fan of the live version of "I" on the album. Probably b/c I have heard the CDQ version so many times now, it just throws me off.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Listen to this album a bunch more times. This album is really good. Catching new things the more I listen to it. Knew this was a really good album when I caught my self in the grocery store full out head bobbing to it today. :heh:

Not a fan of the live version of "I" on the album. Probably b/c I have heard the CDQ version so many times now, it just throws me off.
Live version is better.