Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Daps
But he took 20x the risks Drake has taken in the last 5 years so what we saying

Its a risk to venture out as an artist and attempt to create your own take on all these different genres and fuse them with deep strong poetry

Drake has never ever made a riskier record than Kdot

Ever

Stop it nikka

That guy got Drake's dikk so far up ass..he's making up random shyt now.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Stop fukkin sayin this shiit faqqit..this sounds NOTHING like those artists you mentioned...the two interludes got jazz influence..the rest does not.

it's like saying youre boyfriend Drake sounds like Lil Wayne
Except all of those artists did production on the album? :duck:

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You Ain't Gotta Lie went from being my least favorite cut at first to now being my favorite....that flow on the 3rd verse is :wow:. Reminds me of some 90's Busta

One of Kendrick's best attributes as a rapper (which is what mostly turns people off) is his voice. He doesn't have a 1 distinctive voice and you can't ever guess what tone/pitch he's gonna use next. Kendrick bends his voice like an instrument which adds another layer to the music. Its almost like he's an actor switching from character to character at the drop of a dime. I don't know if its a good or bad thing, but to me it takes some serious skill to pull that off.

Also, with TPAB getting so much love, so many raving reviews and doing well on the charts.....Kendrick could just fall back if he wanted to. I watched this man grow from being a street rapper on them old BWS tapes, to becoming a Wayne clone to finally finding his identity on the EP, O.D., and Section 80. Dropping a classic debut with GKMC that made a big splash and now dropping TPAB which very may be his magnum opus...he could go out on top.

I think if he walked away now his legacy would be cemented but as a fan...I hope he stays in the rap game for a very long time and continue to deliver good genuine music.

I think that he will continue making music, but I don't think he we ever release an album that is as universally lauded as this one (but who knows, I thought the same with GKMC). I think 10 years from now people will be talking about "what would Kendricks legacy be had he hung it up after To Pimp a Butterfly" The same way ppl on the coli talk about what Nas' legacy would be if he retired after IWW.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Do you listen to The Roots? Foreign Exchange? Robert Glasper? Any modern black adult R&B, jazz, or fusion?

No?

OK.

Thought so.

This shyt has sounded like the last 10 years of adult contemporary music....but most of you haven't even listened to stuff like this before.
I have listened to them and
1. It sounds nothing like them
2. This is straight hiphop ⅔ you mentioned is not (or perhaps the The foreign exchanges first album).
3. This has a lot more funk inspiration than Jazz for that matter.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This album is exposing a lot of people's ability to understand a message in music.

If people find this too complex and missing what is being said then that's just sad... The masses have been numbed in their music with all the trash that has been consumed over the years.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

its amazing cause its so simple yet probably one of the best verses on the album

"I know some rappers using big words to make they similes curve
My simplest shyt be more pivotal"

:mjcry: the truth

I didn't think that verse was all that when he kicked it as a "freestyle" on that radio show a few weeks back, and I still don't.

Momma is one of my least fav songs on this album

Last edited:
Daps
I didn't think that verse was all that when he kicked as a "freestyle" on that radio show a few weeks back, and I still don't.

Momma is one of my least fav songs on this album

Nah he had way better "technical" verses on the album but like homie said..the simplicity of it is the reason i fux with it like that.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
@GoldenGlove, so you didn't fukks with the first verse of Momma either? The song itself just misses my top 5. As the other cat said too, the simplicity of the 2nd version along with the message behind it makes it dope. Perhaps you got a bit numbed to it hearing it on that "freestyle". Still though, considering how the young and dumb usually think they know everything, I think it's a good message for them about that.

player611

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I shouldn't have to let an album grow on me or give it 5+ spins to really judge it or like it. If someone puts some shyt food in front of me, I'm not going to eat half the damn meal before I decide its garbage. The album was decent after two listens (the second with headphones), but it wasnt soul shattering or anything like that. I just hope the same people telling others how to listen to it do the same with other rappers they don't fukk with. It'll be interesting to see how many of these same people will be calling Drake or kanye album garbage after one listen.

And :mjlol: @ someone being a c00n or a cac just because they don't like this.

:heh: @ someones ability to understand music being called into question because they think its garbage.

When did rap snobs become a thing? These dudes are just as pretentious and obnoxious as the dude they idol

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
You Ain't Gotta Lie went from being my least favorite cut at first to now being my favorite....that flow on the 3rd verse is :wow:. Reminds me of some 90's Busta

One of Kendrick's best attributes as a rapper (which is what mostly turns people off) is his voice. He doesn't have a 1 distinctive voice and you can't ever guess what tone/pitch he's gonna use next. Kendrick bends his voice like an instrument which adds another layer to the music. Its almost like he's an actor switching from character to character at the drop of a dime. I don't know if its a good or bad thing, but to me it takes some serious skill to pull that off.

Also, with TPAB getting so much love, so many raving reviews and doing well on the charts.....Kendrick could just fall back if he wanted to. I watched this man grow from being a street rapper on them old BWS tapes, to becoming a Wayne clone to finally finding his identity on the EP, O.D., and Section 80. Dropping a classic debut with GKMC that made a big splash and now dropping TPAB which very may be his magnum opus...he could go out on top.

I think if he walked away now his legacy would be cemented but as a fan...I hope he stays in the rap game for a very long time and continue to deliver good genuine music.

I think that he will continue making music, but I don't think he we ever release an album that is as universally lauded as this one (but who knows, I thought the same with GKMC). I think 10 years from now people will be talking about "what would Kendricks legacy be had he hung it up after To Pimp a Butterfly" The same way ppl on the coli talk about what Nas' legacy would be if he retired after IWW.
Yea Kendrick retire from your job after like 4 years

Bruh no rapper retires, certainly not in they prime

This album is exposing a lot of people's ability to understand a message in music.

If people find this too complex and missing what is being said then that's just sad... The masses have been numbed in their music with all the trash that has been consumed over the years.
true true