Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

LucaBrasi

West Coast Legend
Daps
Reppin
California
But to me. This album isn't anything new for kendrick...his underground material is full of jazzy funk influenced music. To me this was a return. That's why I don't understand why some people are so confused by this album. If anything GKMC was the departure from his normal sound not this one. But now he just had the resources and budget to make a project on a much grander scale. Lyrically speaking good kid is every bit as good as this one. But musically it was definitely more appealing to the commercial crowd. Which is why I said it was the album that needed to be released first to attract the fanbase. For him to have that platform where he could take a chance like this one. This album took guts. For a guy to be on top of the game. To have the whole world waiting on you to release another good kid. And drop something completely opposite....something so anti mainstream. I was afraid he would never get back to that. So you're right....this album is definitely growth. Growth from a style he had already mastered.

The booth is back to actually having great discussions and posts :ohhh:

:salute: breh

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Yeah, I also thought King Kunta was reminscent of DJ Quik. Hell, the way he does the hook sounds similar to Suga Free. The beat sounds straight up like Quik tho, to whereas I was actually surprised that it wasn't him behind the boards.
Its quiks bassline...from mausbergs get nekkid,,,i posted earlier...tripped ..when i finally saw quiks publishin in the credits

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
we're talkign about both the Professional critics and scores (metacritic, rateyourmusic, other sites) based on users ratings