Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Many people who aren't feelin this album don't know "how" to listen to it. If you are expecting to hear GKMC, then are mistaken. You really have to sit down with this album and soak it in. It has so many gems in it. It definitely tells a story. I've only listened to the album one full time all the way thru without skippin a track.

So im still grading and critiquing it as we speak. Pretty solid so far tho. This ain't the album for cats wanting to "turn up" and shyt. Kendrick went in with this 1

Tried to rep you for this gem but it's gone :why:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Many people who aren't feelin this album don't know "how" to listen to it. If you are expecting to hear GKMC, then are mistaken. You really have to sit down with this album and soak it in. It has so many gems in it. It definitely tells a story. I've only listened to the album one full time all the way thru without skippin a track.

So im still grading and critiquing it as we speak. Pretty solid so far tho. This ain't the album for cats wanting to "turn up" and shyt. Kendrick went in with this 1
I don't think it's that...the album starts off mad slow...and the sound of it is not for everybody..especially the first half...on top of that...the nikka completely OD's on his alien voice with some of the songs...this is why I can't call it a classic n all that other shyt...cause it starts off weak...doesn't hit u right from jump..it's a good album tho...but the second half of the album is way better than the first...and I love funk music and jazz...but just cause someone loves that genre of music doesn't mean they have to love every generic funk or jazz sounding beat...same with RnB..Rock...Hip Hop..etc etc...so people really need to stop saying that...

Daps
Play this album or a classic 90s album with boom bap to a late 90s baby who is in high school now. See their reactions to the lack of 808s and catchy hooks.:sas1:

That's just a generation thing tho..

Most 90s cats didnt fukk with that hippity-hip flow from 80's either..but I will say this..being creative and lyrical does not resonate with young dudes today.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
That's just a generation thing tho..

Most 90s cats didnt fukk with that hippity-hip flow from 80's either..but I will say this..being creative and lyrical does not resonate with young dudes today.

Yeah, its all about the club and the car. You can make songs with nothing but a catchy hook and some adlibs, and the club will rock to that. Which is why Kendrick's release has THAT MORE impact. When the transition of rap comes, and people are forced to step up their game, a lot of these cats are gonna be assed out :laugh:

LogicFirst

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Kendrick tries to be conscious with this album but it ends up being the same ol shyt. First off, he uses the word nikka too many times in a non creative way. Second, he starts to make a point about something but never follows through with the thought. It just sounds like someone trying to be deep but just isn't

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I don't think it's that...the album starts off mad slow...and the sound of it is not for everybody..especially the first half...on top of that...the nikka completely OD's on his alien voice with some of the songs...this is why I can't call it a classic n all that other shyt...cause it starts off weak...doesn't hit u right from jump..it's a good album tho...but the second half of the album is way better than the first...and I love funk music and jazz...but just cause someone loves that genre of music doesn't mean they have to love every generic funk or jazz sounding beat...same with RnB..Rock...Hip Hop..etc etc...so people really need to stop saying that...

What song other than King Kunta would say you is a weak first half song?

I agree second half is way better, but institutionalized, these walls, and "u" are all fantastic records. For Free? Is dope too.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
hopefully we dont have to wait 3 years for the next album. not a big fan of this album after 2 spins but i can hear how it will be great live. that might be the thing to get me really into it. the shyt sounds really good but im not really in the mood for all the funky, poli-sci, commentary jibberjabber. that shyt might be great for the genre but i don't have the ears for it at the moment. i have more important shyt to study than rap albums.