Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
This does feel like the companion piece to the Black Messiah Album. Even down to the covers

dangelo-black-messiah-album-cover.jpeg

kendrick-lamar-to-pimp-a-butterfly-album-cover-636-636.jpg
Imagine a collaboration :ooh: :ohlawd:
Imagine collaboration with both AND Andre 3000 :banderas:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
You get it, breh. Even 2 more pro-black MCs that are on Kendricks vibe and status will SHAKE EVERYTHING UP. That means a lot of clubs will shut down, a lot of strippers will quit and go to church or nursing :mjlol:, the crackbabies will do their best to sound smart :laugh: , and intelligence will at long last come back and help the black community when we need it the most. Just in time for the 150th anniversary of the End of American Slavery.
*hasn't checked album or the thread, really*

Okay, so TPAB is one of those albums? Okay...

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
*hasn't checked album or the thread, really*

Okay, so TPAB is one of those albums? Okay...

Watch the rap game in 2015 when this album still makes an impact. Some of your favorite commercial rappers aren't going to be around much longer...

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I totally agree with you on the first 2 tracks. However, I mess with King Kunta... I just think it's a smooth catchy song. :manny:

But back to the first 2 songs, I like the concept for Wesley's Theory, but I'm not feeling the sound of it to kick off the album. Then to follow that up directly with a 4 minute skit? I can tell that I won't be listening to that "This dikk ain't freeeeeee" shyt too much, after a few times, I really don't need to hear it.

And I haven't heard anybody complain about how pretentious and preachy he is on this album. The way he connects the concept of this album heavily relies on the skits, and him straight up spoon feeding the listener with those. It's almost like he was saying, "Ok, do you get it?... let me make sure they get it" with how he presented his message. I knew he was talking about taxes and 'Uncle Sam' in the first song (surprisingly, somebody mentioned that they didn't catch how the first 2 tracks are linked)... I didn't need ol girl hammering it home again in the skit "I'm gonna get my Uncle Sam to fukk you up"...Kind of felt like he didn't feel like he could fully connect all of his ideas without the skits/speeches reaffirming his message.

He does the same thing after Alright with the skit For Sale about "Lucy/Lucifer" and selling his soul. Kendrick clearly didn't have enough confidence in the listener to decode this without the skits.

And I agree with U, the 2nd part he over did it with the crying rap.
Yea like I said I think it's solid...I can also see how some might not mess wit it too heavy and I myself don't think it's the holy grail or anything...I like Section 80 and GKMC more..

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's Kendrick locked in a hotel room, doubting himself, depressed at what he's become, second verse is his boy coming at his head for "abandoning" his people in Compton.

I think he's still talking to himself in that last verse homie

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Play this album or a classic 90s album with boom bap to a late 90s baby who is in high school now. See their reactions to the lack of 808s and catchy hooks.:sas1:
Grown-ass adults listen to trap music too. TM101 dropped a long time ago.

808's and catchy hooks have been a proponent of popular modern music since the 70's & 80's. Sign O' The Times has a basic ass drum machine and sampler with hooks in abundance.

You can dislike this album and have well-matured opinions on music because... it's music. This album is an artistic expression for real. It has no cheapshots. Obviously, it's not going to be for everyone but that doesn't make them basic or childish.