Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I dont even know what year this album hes rapping about is taking place.. that is the TRUE ESSENCE OF TIMELESS MUSIC

Not one line,bar, quote about a car, certain gear, or anything material POPPING NOW...

godly :blessed:

:wow:

nikkas too caught up in labels and materialism like hoes. This is a paradigm shift in the young black mind.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
We're not entering the Golden Age... we're entering the New Renaissance Era. An era of where creativity is praised over the street thug image, artists will be able to sell without a label, and teams are a lot more versatile. Kendrick is one. We just need another rapper to come in and finalize it.
We do have other ones it's just people tend to act like they don't exist..Krit always been real...Cole is the one who lit the fire under Kendricks ass as far as content goes...Lupe just dropped Tetsuo and Youth which is conceptually amazing and probably more creative and impressive than this Kendrick album....people just ride wit who the media sides with...and that's not even a knock on Kendrick...

WeDemBoyz

All Star
Daps

People afraid of criticism
But I always put myself in a sacrificial position
They been know I ain't just rappin for fame
I got my old homie's half-sister's father askin' for chains
Yep, I give the cash up, this paper don't matter
They see me from skinny to fatter, when I rap about war
They got a tendency to scatter, they ain't my backup no more
So now my enemies are at my front door
Cause anytime we mention our condition, our history or existence
They callin it reverse racism
Still to this day the streets torn - my brother Jung'
I'll always have a seat for him - not behind me, beside me
You'll always know where to find me
They say the close ones will hurt you
So let's keep a small circle
On the road to riches and diamond rings
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the king

:cryingmj: that's my GOAT yall

Last edited:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
We do have other ones it's just people tend to act like they don't exist..Krit always been real...Cole is the one who lit the fire under Kendricks ass as far as content goes...Lupe just dropped Tetsuo and Youth which is conceptually amazing and probably more creative and impressive than this Kendrick album....people just ride wit who the media sides with...and that's not even a knock on Kendrick...

That's exactly what I mean. We need one on a mainstream level that can make this much of a noise. Cole made noise, but he can only do so much... he's not a superstar. And people don't even give Lupe a glance. As for Krit, dude will forever be underrated.. which is a shame cause he really should be a lot more popular. But like I'm saying, get one more rapper with the star power and things will definitely change up.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've probably heard this album 7 or 8 times now (long commutes afford me a bare minimum of 3 hours a day)

From the first listen I knew this was a great album, but cot dam:wow:

The production on this album is phenomenal. I recall in 2012 when Section 80 was out, before GKMC dropped, blazing one with Ali (the Engineer) and Dave Free (brains behind the marketing). They had such a clear vision, said they were going to keep the production and as much as possible in house due to their tight chemistry. Ali said people are going to be surprised with the music they put out, they won't be boxed in to one sound. That was 3 years ago .....

And now this. This album is fearless and for that he commands respect. I literally fukks with every single song. The production draws emotion, that shyt hits the spot. And Kendricks performance is A1 to me. I get that some people don't like his change up in voice, I understand it. But see I thought the second part of U for example, was absolute heat rocks. To each his own.

I'm old enough to know this is a special album.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
That's exactly what I mean. We need one on a mainstream level that can make this much of a noise. Cole made noise, but he can only do so much... he's not a superstar. And people don't even give Lupe a glance. As for Krit, dude will forever be underrated.. which is a shame cause he really should be a lot more popular. But like I'm saying, get one more rapper with the star power and things will definitely change up.

You get it, breh. Even 2 more pro-black MCs that are on Kendricks vibe and status will SHAKE EVERYTHING UP. That means a lot of clubs will shut down, a lot of strippers will quit and go to church or nursing :mjlol:, the crackbabies will do their best to sound smart :laugh: , and intelligence will at long last come back and help the black community when we need it the most. Just in time for the 150th anniversary of the End of American Slavery.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That damn sax on Mortal Man literally makes me hit the
tumblr_n5lxzrR5rt1tvlsaeo1_400.gif

I been saying for years Terrace Martin is a fukkin beast on that sax:ohlawd:. Him and Robert Glasper have a fantastic chemistry

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I can't even really say Kendrick has star power tho..that's the funny thing...Kendrick is a regular cat...don't get fresh....not flashy...none of that...I don't see what he does that makes him a star over Cole..Krit..etc..dude is mad regular..just like they are..dude just had that industry backing...I knew this when I went to the BET awards and the shyt was basically a Kendrick show..and he didnt even have an album...shyt was weird as hell to experience...and like I said...this ain't a knock on Kendricks talent at all...

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
its getting very strange that no matter the genre it is difficult for anyone to make a classic in this era...

im starting to think not just social media but society in general along with culture is to blame.

alot of beats also seem more flat...something is just off.

but maybe its society...im starting to think if ready to die came out in this climate people would love it but would not call it a classic...

Nothing is organic anymore. Everything is forced and have sinister motives these days, especially for quick $$$.

Kendrick saw that and he went against the grain to drop this, and Hip Hop should be proud of that shyt. :banderas:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Right. I think with a conceptual album, it's very tough to take a song and place it by itself, because some songs need context for it. Like with Backseat Freestyle, the subject matter is generic and weak. BUT, the concept of that song was a young K. Dot freestyling in the back of a Toyota. Swimming Pools was abut alcoholism, but fit into the album because he had just gotten jumped by Sherane's people.

I think with this album, people are gonna be iffy towards it, but it'll be a grower for many. Cause this isn't the type of music you hear anymore, and we as the listeners are more accustomed to 808s and rapid hi-hats than chord progressions and live percussions.

808s and hi hats are basically techno beats with much more bass in it. :manny:

Which is why black radio have so many EDM artists infiltrating now in 2015.