Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i think it just came down to not fitting in with the story/metaphor/ concept he was trying to tell. it couldn't have been a sample issue or anything. there's probably a bunch of left overs that didn't completely gel with the final concept as a whole

Told you breh. I wasn't even fronting on tryna hype it up. This is an Important project. Hip hop needed this. He needs to be the guy leading. I don't think any of his contemporaries are capable of putting out an album like this. Honestly.

You guys know how whenever you listen to an album or movie over and over again you hear new things you did not notice each time? I just caught that "Ima get my Uncle Sam to fukk you up...you ain't no king" line on the second track " :russ: :dead: man Kendrick thought out every line on this album...I missed that line completely..

That is exactly what your both talking about...its those small lines decades from now that are gonna stand out.

"We shoulda never gave Common money....go back home...money go back home"
:dj2: :dj2:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
"Ima get my Uncle Sam to fukk you up...you ain't no king"
w8wut.gif

Didn't even pick that up.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
never heard a mainstream hip hop artist put his white fans on blast like kendrick did on mortal man. most of these cacs probably wont notice because they're too busy stanning/pretending like they liked the 2pac interview because.... you know #90SHIPSTERLIFEBRAH :skip: but i guarantee the majority of those hipster ironic hip hop culture vulture fans are ignoring what pac is saying too. :ufdup:

that's assuming they even realize that is 2pac before they read it on their favorite hipster blog or rapgenius. :mjpls:

anyway mortal man has just become my favorite track on the album. passed up the how much a dollar cost

this album is deep as fukk. i was trying to avoid the cliche comments early on in the thread. but every time i listen to this shyt i discover another level to this shyt. its really dense. people giving kneejerk proclamations on it have a distorted opinion and value of music imo.​

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This is a legitimate argument, but at the end of the day there's hood nikkas who ain't really hood nikkas. I relate to Kendrick because I'm one of them, grew up in the worst part of my city and was shielded from a lot of it. Kendrick's story really speaks to me, and nikkas who ain't from the hood can get to understand what it's like from Kendrick's music. The REAL hood nikkas, surprisingly, are the main critics when it comes to hip-hop so Kendrick has to go out of his way to convince them that his music is dope. If you make the music for hood nikkas then you alienate the other 95% of your potential fanbase, because hood nikkas are so backwards that half the shyt they fukk with, nobody else would like.

The dualities of this fukkery :wow:

Sad part is,there are posters that co sign "real hood shyt" that would :pacspit: @ Kendrick because he ain't "real" enough for them, and say that some bullshyt like Young Thug or Migos are better artists than him; off of thfact that they got club hits. :snoop:

The streets really only dikkride some commercial hits and underground hits with 808s.

WeDemBoyz

All Star
Daps
thanks to the coli and twitter i was probably one of the first 1,000 people on earth to hear the album :blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
One thing I gotta say - Kendrick's a beast on the mic technically and his concepts are A1 but his biggest strength is timing - he knows when to drop when he'll have the biggest impact within the climate. GKMC when the climate was heavily skewed towards turn up, control when all the rappers were buddy buddy and now this album when black culture, identity and existence is under attack. Guys chess game is top notch.

:ohhh:

Indeed :obama:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thanks to the coli and twitter i was probably one of the first 1,000 people on earth to hear the album :blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:
same breh. i think i had to be in the first 1000 to purchase too since the pre orders got fukked up. the moment i found ount the dirty was on itunes i copped. first time i ever bought an album on my phone before. no regrets. :ahh:

#coliexcellence

WeDemBoyz

All Star
Daps
same breh. i think i had to be in the first 1000 to purchase too since the pre orders got fukked up. the moment i found ount the dirty was on itunes i copped. first time i ever bought an album on my phone before. no regrets. :ahh:

#coliexcellence

breh I was downloading the explicit shyt while everyone else on the inanet and twitter were spreading the clean dl link. lmaoooooo i know for a fact I was first 1000 if not first 500 to get the dirty. i need a prize breh :mjcry::blessed::wow:the homies woke up the next day with a text from me with the dl link. made me feel like KD on some #servant shyt :smugdraper:

WeDemBoyz

All Star
Daps
i meant the physical

I'll probably have the physical in my hands on Thursday like I did GKMC. I had physical GKMC a week before the world. Got one of the best cd shops in the country right around the corner the cacs up there gonna call me when the shipment comes in:blessed::blessed::blessed: