Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No form of music has ever changed racism or brought about social justice. But I would have no problem with a pro-black vibe in hip hop.

Nah, the fight is socioeconomic. All that shyt that is happening to us is the result of concentrated poverty. I don't agree with @MeachTheMonster in that regard. Just raising your kids is not enough to change how society portrays us. Racial bias is ingrained in everything.
:whoa: I wasn't saying that at all. If that's what my post conveyed then I fukked up.

What I ment was I can add more soldiers and fight the right way.

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this should all be obvious: but this is not a commercial album

gkmd was a concept album that happened to have mainstream hits. based off the story/concept it lent itself to that type of production and tone

he threw that shyt out the window and went total art house with this one

anyone expecting another gkmd :pachaha:

this def needs multiple listens and analysis to fully appreciate it :obama:

i feel its already 10x improvement over gkmd... for lack of a better term, this one is much deeper and covers a lot more ideas

:salute:kendrick

also... after listening to the album several times now, "i" makes perfect sense... as a stand alone song i can see why itd be polarizing... but its like a reading a random chapter in the middle of a novel if you just base it on its very own

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you cant listen to this album casually... theres too much to read inbetween the lines and connect to the larger arc/message of the album :ohlawd:

not saying he executed it flawlessly... but kendrick went for it, and for most part hes pulling it off. which is saying A LOT since other rappers have tried this and fell flat on their faces (not gonna mention any names because of coli stannery)

macadomusic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man , Kendrick and the whole team perfected the whole "audio movie" thing. I liked it listening to it on random , but listening to it from front to back all the way through, shyt is amazing. Not one "radio single" on it. No microwave shyt. All the music switch ups reminds me of a de la soul "3 ft high" type of a.d.d. listening experience. I can totally see how a younger cat won't feel it because it's no cliche shyt on here, which is a good thing. Salute #TDE . Jay Rock up next tho :smile: