Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
Electric Circus was truly ahead of its time. Goes to show how far marketing and good publicity will get you. These two album are very similar in terms of concept, sound and style.

Always found the criticism of EC to be very hive-minded and dismissive. People already had this idea that Com had lost his marbles and that the album was garbage before they even heard it. Theres no reason why it aint heralded at one of the best albums of 2002, but his label delayed it, basically wrote him off and his public image was damaged so it was aborted.

This album will likely get 5/5s and 10s and be on every list at the end of the year. Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but all eyes are on Kendrick right now. He's the chosen one and can do no wrong. Its funny how perspective changes our view on music
Im curious to why people think like this.... enlighten me:patrice:

iNad925

Imma let you finish, but WINTER IS COMING
Daps
Why is track 16 so long?

tupac-razor-trick-o.gif

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Im curious to why people think like this.... enlighten me:patrice:
Kendrick got the juice. Hes a young dude, has the machine behind him, people rooting for him, looking for him to be a voice of whats going on.

Common was dismissed for dressing like a fruit, dating Badu, singing on records...he's used to be the alcoholic Chi-town b-boy, people HATED him back when he switched up.

Basically the image and marketing of the artists dictated how the albums were ultimately received IMO. EC was not perfect, neither is TPAB. But its pretty hard to dig one and not the other. Theyre both very eclectic albums that cover similar topics, they have similar sounds and influences in funk and psychedelic jazz

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
Kendrick got the juice. Hes a young dude, has the machine behind him, people rooting for him, looking for him to be a voice of whats going on.

Common was dismissed for dressing like a fruit, dating Badu, singing on records...he's used to be the alcoholic Chi-town b-boy, people HATED him back when he switched up.

Basically the image and marketing of the artists dictated how the albums were ultimately received IMO. EC was not perfect, neither is TPAB. But its pretty hard to dig one and not the other. Theyre both very eclectic albums that cover similar topics, they have similar sounds and influences in funk and psychedelic jazz
I understand where you coming from I just think it should condemn the artist's body of work in question.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Listening through a couple times I can say that I would have absolutely loved this album during my teens/early twenties. It captures those feelings of misguided anger, inspiration, and hopelessness that was swirling around my head at that time.

As of now, I've seen too much and I know too much to really be impressed by this album. It comes off as simple minded and amateurish rehashes of concepts that have been beat into the ground by now. He does a good job at sounding deep, and I can see why his fans appreciate that. But It does nothing for me :manny:

Jards

All Star
Daps
One thing I gotta say - Kendrick's a beast on the mic technically and his concepts are A1 but his biggest strength is timing - he knows when to drop when he'll have the biggest impact within the climate. GKMC when the climate was heavily skewed towards turn up, control when all the rappers were buddy buddy and now this album when black culture, identity and existence is under attack. Guys chess game is top notch.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Listening through a couple times I can say that I would have absolutely loved this album during my teens/early twenties. It captures those feelings of misguided anger, inspiration, and hopelessness that was swirling around my head at that time.

As of now, I've seen too much and I know too much to really be impressed by this album. It comes off as simple minded and amateurish rehashes of concepts that have been beat into the ground by now. He does a good job at sounding deep, and I can see why his fans appreciate that. But It does nothing for me :manny:
So basically you're dead inside

kevthesureshot

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Electric Circus was truly ahead of its time. Goes to show how far marketing and good publicity will get you. These two album are very similar in terms of concept, sound and style.

Always found the criticism of EC to be very hive-minded and dismissive. People already had this idea that Com had lost his marbles and that the album was garbage before they even heard it. Theres no reason why it aint heralded at one of the best albums of 2002, but his label delayed it, basically wrote him off and his public image was damaged so it was aborted.

This album will likely get 5/5s and 10s and be on every list at the end of the year. Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but all eyes are on Kendrick right now. He's the chosen one and can do no wrong. Its funny how perspective changes our view on music. Com got punished for trying something like this, Kendrick will be praised to death for it

I remember thinkin of EC when Kendrick performed on Colbert Report. Obviously they're two different MCS and Artists, but I can see some similarities musically (Bilal appearance on both) Listening to TPAB yesterday, I had concerns of what the reactions would be to the album and whether or not people would let Kendrick take them on this ride. Apparently, he's been getting good reviews and it's selling well so maybe people will go back and revisit Electric Circus.

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY

This album will likely get 5/5s and 10s and be on every list at the end of the year. Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but all eyes are on Kendrick right now. He's the chosen one and can do no wrong. Its funny how perspective changes our view on music. Com got punished for trying something like this, Kendrick will be praised to death for it

I think it has to do with how society is today. Just my perspective as to why Kendrick may get more praise as oppose to Common conceptually speaking.