Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I think it has to do with how society is today. Just my perspective as to why Kendrick may get more praise as oppose to Common conceptually speaking.
Common wasn't working with these kinda beats and common sounded like trash.

I can feel you, inside my stomach, my body shakes. :mjlol:

No p*ssy never made me feel it i side my stomach bruh :huhldup:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So basically you're dead inside

As a black man, let me tell you...

This album is not that innovative or inspiring. It's not nearly as deep as it pretends to be, it's not empowering or beneficial to the community, it doesn't raise consciousness. Cacs love it. New blacks love it.

I just think it's okay. It's got bright spots, but it's not the gem people pretend it is. :manny:

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Common wasn't working with these kinda beats and common sounded like trash.

I can feel you, inside my stomach, my body shakes. :mjlol:

No p*ssy never made me feel it i side my stomach bruh :huhldup:

Yeah, well he definitely had some pussified cuts on there. :francis:

Overall though I fukks with it :yeshrug:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
As a black man, let me tell you...

This album is not that innovative or inspiring. It's not nearly as deep as it pretends to be, it's not empowering or beneficial to the community, it doesn't raise consciousness. Cacs love it. New blacks love it.

I just think it's okay. It's got bright spots, but it's not the gem people pretend it is. :manny:
What's the last 2 albums you loved that were deep and innovative enough for you

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Kendrick got the juice. Hes a young dude, has the machine behind him, people rooting for him, looking for him to be a voice of whats going on.

Common was dismissed for dressing like a fruit, dating Badu, singing on records...he's used to be the alcoholic Chi-town b-boy, people HATED him back when he switched up.

Basically the image and marketing of the artists dictated how the albums were ultimately received IMO. EC was not perfect, neither is TPAB. But its pretty hard to dig one and not the other. Theyre both very eclectic albums that cover similar topics, they have similar sounds and influences in funk and psychedelic jazz
Electric circus was forgettable because the production was a step down from like water for choclate.

It's easy to like this and not that.

This is good

That was not.

Common never had a good album After dilla died

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So basically you're dead inside

No its actuality quite the opposite. I'm enlightened passed the point where teenage anguish speaks to me.
I've heard funk+rap done before and better
I've heard the story about the guy who was enlightened by a bum dozens of times.
I've heard the introspective song with the artist wondering if his fans really stand by him.

I've heard about black on black crime, and how black skin is beautiful before.

And he doesn't even add anything new to these rehashed concepts.

There's not much here to grab my attention or to stimulate any abstract thinking in my mind.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Ain't no coincidence that Tetsuo & Youth and To Pimp A Butterfly are arguably the two best hip hop albums since The Cool and good kidd mAAd city

Step aside, let special talents work, and you're usually gonna get greatness. Cream always gonna rise to the top :manny:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
No its actuality quite the opposite. I'm enlightened passed the point where teenage anguish speaks to me.
I've heard the story about the guy who was enlightened by a bum dozens of times.
I've heard the introspective song with the artist wondering if his fans really stand by him.

There's not much here to grab my attention or to stimulate any abstract thinking in my mind.

Not to single you out, but why does any of what you posted even matter? Did the music sound good or not when you listened to it? So are you saying that the music itself was stale, corny, boring, or overdone? How could any artist impress you if these are your normal standards for rap nikkas?:heh: I mean, it's cool if you thought the music was wack in some way, but you said a whole lot of ancillary shyt that has nothing to do with the actual enjoyment of music, songs, and lyrics.

I'm not caping for Kendrick either, because I know dude can be an artsy weirdo with his music sometimes and be hit or miss depending on what you enjoy listening to.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

Basically you're past the point where you see the problems of black people as mental instead of systematic.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not to single you out, but why does any of what you posted even matter? Did the music sound good or not when you listened to it? So are you saying that the music itself was stale, corny, boring, or overdone? How could any artist impress you if these are your normal standards for rap nikkas?:heh: I mean, it's cool if you thought the music was wack in some way, but you said a whole lot of ancillary shyt that has nothing to do with the actual enjoyment of music, songs, and lyrics.

I'm not caping for Kendrick either, because I know dude can be an artsy weirdo with his music sometimes and be hit or miss depending on what you enjoy listening to.

"The music itself" is only part of the equation.

"The music itself" isn't what has people making statements comparing him to the greats.

And frankly the music itself really isn't that special. As i said rap+funk has been done much better before.

I was speaking to the social commentary/impact of the album with my post.

So being that the music isn't special. The lyrics a aren't special and the songs are just rehashes of shyt that's been done before plenty of times. The album does nothing for me :manny: