Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Imo, the hook for hood politics? BOO BOO!

Minor blemish on an amazing album, but yeah that and the bilal hook for institutionalized ain't hitting for me. Snoop's part saved it though.

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Imo, the hook for hood politics? BOO BOO!

Minor blemish on an amazing album, but yeah that and the bilal hook for institutionalized ain't hitting for me. Snoop's part saved it though.

That Boo Boo shyt...I take that as some sort of saying in the West. So shyt didn't bother me.

That Bilal hook man :whew:

Idk breh him singing that hook (while being Kendrick's grandma) was :bow:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
"The music itself" is only part of the equation.

"The music itself" isn't what has people making statements comparing him to the greats.

And frankly the music itself really isn't that special. As i said rap+funk has been done much better before.

I was speaking to the social commentary/impact of the album with my post.

So being that the music isn't special. The lyrics a aren't special and the songs are just rehashes of shyt that's been done before plenty of times. The album does nothing for me :manny:

Yes critics hand out bonus points for delivering on concepts & advanced lyricism in concert with actually having great sounding music. Like nobody would give a fukk about the political elements & lyrical execution of Death Certificate if the music itself didn't jam and sound good 1st. But how does what any critic say affect your ears & your enjoyment of music? Is anybody in the whole genre of rap music doing something that hasn't been done before? The only way it matters is if your project can be seen as copying another artists vision or formula.

It makes sense to say Kendrick aint saying nothing special but I can jam to this; or the music just don't bang at all and puts me to sleep. Some of yall treating music like you grading a math exam. What's your critique of the music or songs besides the fact that it didn't meet a checklist that could be determined without actually listening to the project?

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dunno about being the best verse but i'm happy she got a placement on a mainstream project. I like her and her NBA reference lines usually leave a nikka like;

tumblr_mxk4ljZHkS1sdydefo1_400.gif

Yea her NBA references are :lawd:

But I'm still trying to figure out the stu scott line:patrice:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
fukk CACS, this album aint for them. as a matter of fact rap is not for cacs. cacs can fukk off.
Music is for everybody.
I also like that you're saying this about Mr.HiiiPoWeR/fukk Your Ethnicity who has a white rapper as one of his main influences and idols and uses a white lady as a singer on both of his albums on a few songs.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
No its actuality quite the opposite. I'm enlightened passed the point where teenage anguish speaks to me.
I've heard funk+rap done before and better
I've heard the story about the guy who was enlightened by a bum dozens of times.
I've heard the introspective song with the artist wondering if his fans really stand by him.

I've heard about black on black crime, and how black skin is beautiful before.

And he doesn't even add anything new to these rehashed concepts.

There's not much here to grab my attention or to stimulate any abstract thinking in my mind.
Where do you find that level of fulfillment in music?

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Music is for everybody.
I also like that you're saying this about Mr.HiiiPoWeR/fukk Your Ethnicity who has a white rapper as one of his main influences and idols and uses a white lady as a singer on both of his albums on a few songs.

Yea white people can't releate to this album at all:mjlol:

It's crazy cause his biggest fans a white. :snoop:

I remember my first Kendrick concert was nothing but white people, it kinda ruined it for a friend of mine to hear them rapping along the lyrics and this album I can't imagine what a concert would be like:beli: