Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
On "Wesley Theory" Am I the only one who only listens to the "Every nikka is a star" part? Once the beat come on its on to the next track :camby:

One of the GOAT album openings I ever heard :wow:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
You can only make the message so hard to gather together. If you don't break it down to the point where most people can understand your vision then it's a waste. It'll end up like abstract art where maybe 10% of people get it, but the other 90% is like :dahell:

you just alley ooped me another criticism i have on Kendrick, he claims to make music for nikkas in the streets but in reality he makes musics for hip hop head purist and internet/forum nikkas who already know how to break down metaphors/storytelling

i vividly remember when GKMC dropped, mad nikkas in the hood were sayin it was dope but when they actually started talking about it realized that they didn't understand a cot damn thing going on on that album, if you heard the explanations nikkas were coming up with for Sing About Me :mjlol: they were excited as hell too, i aint have the heart to tell them :mjcry: that song wasn't even that complex and he still managed to confuse nikkas.......nikka claimed to make music for street nikkas that real street nikkas couldn't even interpret :wow:and this album is more lyrical than GKMC imo, i can't imagine the type of shyt my nikkas gon say to me when we talk about this one :smhcraig:

it's actually kind of weird, too simple for a nikka like me who knows what's what, but too complex for the nikkas on the block he claims he does this for :ohhh:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
you just alley ooped me another criticism i have on Kendrick, he claims to make music for nikkas in the streets but in reality he makes musics for hip hop head purist and internet/forum nikkas who already know how to break down metaphors/storytelling

i vividly remember when GKMC dropped, mad nikkas in the hood were sayin it was dope but when they actually started talking about it realized that they didn't understand a cot damn thing going on on that album, if you heard the explanations nikkas were coming up with for Sing About Me :mjlol: they were excited as hell too, i aint have the heart to tell them :mjcry: that song wasn't even that complex.......nikka claimed to make music for street nikkas that real street nikkas couldn't even interpret :wow:and this album is more lyrical than GKMC imo, i can't imagine the type of shyt my nikkas gon say to me when we talk about this one :smhcraig:

it's actually kind of weird, too simple for a nikka like me who knows what's what, but too complex for the nikkas on the block he claims he does this for :ohhh:

This is a legitimate argument, but at the end of the day there's hood nikkas who ain't really hood nikkas. I relate to Kendrick because I'm one of them, grew up in the worst part of my city and was shielded from a lot of it. Kendrick's story really speaks to me, and nikkas who ain't from the hood can get to understand what it's like from Kendrick's music. The REAL hood nikkas, surprisingly, are the main critics when it comes to hip-hop so Kendrick has to go out of his way to convince them that his music is dope. If you make the music for hood nikkas then you alienate the other 95% of your potential fanbase, because hood nikkas are so backwards that half the shyt they fukk with, nobody else would like.

The dualities of this fukkery :wow:

LordTaskForce

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
2014 my favorite album dropped was Cilvia Demo:yeshrug:

I don't know Lupe is still my favorite artist. But he was throwing me off with this twitter rants and outcrying. He dropped Tetsuo and Youth and I was pleased and glad Lupe was back. Album was a 5/5 for me

Lupe and Kendrick stabs should be please at the work they both dropped

But I just can't compare him to Kendrick... Iyrically he isn't fukking with Lupe. But I do think Kendrick has the advantage of making a cohesive body of work. Lupe's album makes you want stop and just ponder on thought provoking topics. Kendrick's album makes you want to FEEL and move. That's the epitome of Funk and Soulful Jazz. Dark poetry at its finest. TPAB paints the picture of a trouble young Black male going to Jazz joint to get alot off his chest and just blazes up the entire joint. Leaves and feels brand new while the audience is in awe at what they just heard. I would like to see a collaboration with him And Kendrick but that will never happen due to Lupe's way of thinking and ego.

Its depends on preference, one is definitely more easy listening.

2015 is snapping up to be the best year of music in a while. Snoop bout to drop that gem we been missing since that failed attempt at Reggae. Even Big Sean'Sean's album was a step up from his last one. I think Ludacris bout to drop a dope album too

I hope the bridge keeps building and doesn't meet a unfortunate dose of corrosion and starts falling down again and we will be back to square one.

100% my sentiments

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
yo :ohhh:

drake.png

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
I'm on my 5th listen now

the weather here today making it sound even nicer

Institutionalized is still my favorite but "u" and Alright sound great as well

Liking it more each listen

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Electric Circus was truly ahead of its time. Goes to show how far marketing and good publicity will get you. These two album are very similar in terms of concept, sound and style.

Always found the criticism of EC to be very hive-minded and dismissive. People already had this idea that Com had lost his marbles and that the album was garbage before they even heard it. Theres no reason why it aint heralded at one of the best albums of 2002, but his label delayed it, basically wrote him off and his public image was damaged so it was aborted.

This album will likely get 5/5s and 10s and be on every list at the end of the year. Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but all eyes are on Kendrick right now. He's the chosen one and can do no wrong. Its funny how perspective changes our view on music. Com got punished for trying something like this, Kendrick will be praised to death for it

Daps
Electric Circus was truly ahead of its time. Goes to show how far marketing and good publicity will get you. These two album are very similar in terms of concept, sound and style.

Always found the criticism of EC to be very hive-minded and dismissive. People already had this idea that Com had lost his marbles and that the album was garbage before they even heard it. Theres no reason why it aint heralded at one of the best albums of 2002, but his label delayed it, basically wrote him off and his public image was damaged so it was aborted.

This album will likely get 5/5s and 10s and be on every list at the end of the year. Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but all eyes are on Kendrick right now. He's the chosen one and can do no wrong. Its funny how perspective changes our view on music

I was in my late teens

I fukkin hated that shiit back then and never listened to it since..Ima go ahead give it another chance..