Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do I bother reading booth threads. I forget how corny nikkas are on here.

Bunch a lames:mjlol:

Further listens this shyt is looking to be classic.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
My problem with Lupe stans is that they conflate technical ability with good music. Lupe is an amazing rapper with complex lyricism but that doesn't mean he makes great music. Just like Eminem is technically a great rapper but that doesn't mean he makes good music.

I like Lupe's new album because it marries his complexity with some good song writing and beats. That hasn't always been the case for him. F&L2 is wack because everything surrounding the lyricism is meh. Lasers is him overthinking pop rap and looking like a fool.

Music isn't just technical proficiency. Yall sound like Yngwie Malmsteen stans who praise his technical ability and act like it elevates his music beyond masturbatory wankery. Nah. I'll take the "simple" guitar brilliance of BB King or Paul McCartney over that any day of the week. Songwriting wins.
See but 3 out of Lupe's 5 albums are musically dope...so it's not just about him being complex cause most people felt Lasers was wack and FnL2 was mediocre...and straight up called him out on it...but that isn't the case with Tetsuo and Youth so I don't even understand posts like this...

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"U"

crying-black-man-o.gif

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This album has too many layers to it, which may be the gift and curse of it. Some people may not be willing to peel back each layer and go further into the experience. While some may be turned off sonically, others may be willing to dig further. Very complex piece of work that I honestly don't think we'll get the full experience of the energy from this album until you can witness it live. Then I think the experience with this album would come full circle. The curse in that is how many people will hop off the wagon before they get to that point, while those who stuck around and even hopped on will have an appreciation for this album others won't. Just too layered and heavy for anyone to have an opinion on it within 1 listen. I enjoyed it and I think most people will.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
:umad:

Fukk outta here with that. :camby:

GKMC>>>> Lasers & F&L 2

I like Kendrick. I was anticipating this album.

But to me, Tetsuo & Youth is lyrically and sonically superior to TPAB By a wide margin.

If you weren't riding K-Dot's nuts so hard, you would be able to see there is really nothing special about this album. :manny:

I agree with everything you said except that TPAB isn't special. Album is incredible to me. You gotta really reach to not like this album. Some undeniable gems on here.

2015 has birthed two special (T&Y and TPAB) and one very very good hip hop album(B4DA$$) so far . I even heard Big Sean's album is decent. If Big Sean is putting out good albums with substance then this 2015 greatness vibe might rub off on er'body :lupe:

Lemme find out Soulja Boy bout to drop a classic this year :pachaha:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i wish he'd stop talking about his dikk all the time.

i really enjoy this album..but it has tons of references and quotes/homages .. if this was game or hov y'all would have the pitchforks out. let's call a spade a spade

I think it's different with Jay and Game because they're in effect quoting their contemporaries. Kendrick doing it is like when dudes from the 90s would do it with Rakim or Slick Rick or Kane. Jay doing it with Snoop, Big, Nas, Rae, Prodigy, Big L, etc just feels different and feels more like biting because those are dudes he's competing with. And with Game it just seems lazy

kingdizzy01

ATXBBOY
Daps
Reppin
ATX x Jersey Devil x Little Caribbean/Flatbush MF
I really really really fukk with this. I was listening and once Pac came in on the last track and everything came together, it just made me really love this album. It's concise, it's personal, it's raw emotion, it's well put together and it's definitely left of the mainstream and for what he seemed to be going through personally while making it, it makes sense that the album sounds the way it does. It's jazz, funk, hip hop, and a soul album all wrapped in one as he just talks to Pac for an entire album

100% co sign

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
It's crazy how good this album sounds today. Every song I didn't like yesterday I'm loving today except wesleys theory.

Is there any leads on the Colbert report song ? Maybe a CDQ of the live performance ?