Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I reading these reviews and aIl I read is this sounds like some kast or j.dilla. :whoa: Where the west coast sound at? I will take my time to listen to this but I'm not trying to hear Kendrick Lamar sound like outkast.:dahell:
Its funny as hell that I was JUST thinking this shyt reminds me of Outkast....not a bad thing to me

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Honestly I like the album..there's no reason for me to be jealous of anything...but lets get this straight...nikkas was making full threads to shyt on the Lupe album and the people celebrating it for no reason...if that ain't butt hurt...I don't know what is...I personally shytted on Lasers...wasn't feeling FnL2...and feel that Section 80 and GKMC is better than half of Lupe' catalog....but me being a fan of both artists...and knowing what both artists are capable of...I'm not gonna sit here and front...nikkas in this thread are shytting on cats like Krit and Cole acting like they garbage...I called Napoleon out on that shyt when he made that thread shytting on Cole in favor of Lupe and Tetsuo and Youth...

Well I'm not sure what was going on in here before I posted. I just clicked one of the last pages and noticed Lupe stans trying to downplay what Kendrick achieved with this album. Most people are going to like this album critically and it's going to do much better commercially than Tetsuo and Lupe stans are going to have to deal with it. Either enjoy it like everbody else or don't. I do agree that no one should be trying to sh!t on other really dope artists like Cole and Krit just to promp up Kendrick's, or any other rap artists, work.

Last edited:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kendrick is definitely a MUCH better artist than Lupe and this album proves it. To Pimp A Butterfly is beautiful. From start (Wesley's theory) to finish (his conversation with Pac). A1 production. Nice funky and jazzy atmosphere. And Kendrick is spitting. No cryptic bullsh!t that we got from Lupe. Nice concepts (These Walls) and black awareness. This is the best album I've heard in a minute. I love GKMC but I don't think I liked it initially as much I like this album. Kendrick is the best that the new generation of hip hop artists have to offer. Lupe ain't even in the equation and the only ones putting him there is his delusional stans.

me too. i liked gkmc but it took me time to really love it. i feel like this album musically is a step up, and has more songs that you can chill to as well as think to. this album has a nice balance of smooth and hard.

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Listened to this album a few times so that I could really digest what I was listening to. One thing that I can say about Kendrick is that he's an amazing storyteller. His way with words really enraptures the album in a way that you're hooked onto what he's saying. I didn't have a problem with his delivery at all as he's always been strong when it comes to emphasizing what he wants to get across. I loved every song on here as I like jazz and funk music so this was right up my alley as everything blended in well together for me.

Overall, this will be one of the albums that will be timeless as the content is simply amazing. What has me wondering is what direction his next album will take as this was so far from the GKMC sound. Definitely can't wait for his next album as I think it will top this one. It's definitely refreshing to see an artist take his craft seriously and constantly elevate it to a higher level.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't understand why Lupe fans and Kendrick fans are arguing to this extreme. Lupe fans and Kemdrick fans should be supporting one another these are the two artists not named Nas who utilize their platform within the mainstream to push lyricism and substance over party and bullshyt. These are the two artists who have completely reinvigorated the Concept Album within the genre. Lupe and Kendrick are fans of EACH OTHER if shouldn't be like this. We should be championing both and upholding them as the future of the craft../