Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
2014 my favorite album dropped was Cilvia Demo:yeshrug:

I don't know Lupe is still my favorite artist. But he was throwing me off with this twitter rants and outcrying. He dropped Tetsuo and Youth and I was pleased and glad Lupe was back. Album was a 5/5 for me

Lupe and Kendrick stabs should be please at the work they both dropped

But I just can't compare him to Kendrick... Iyrically he isn't fukking with Lupe. But I do think Kendrick has the advantage of making a cohesive body of work. Lupe's album makes you want stop and just ponder on thought provoking topics. Kendrick's album makes you want to FEEL and move. That's the epitome of Funk and Soulful Jazz. Dark poetry at its finest. TPAB paints the picture of a trouble young Black male going to Jazz joint to get alot off his chest and just blazes up the entire joint. Leaves and feels brand new while the audience is in awe at what they just heard. I would like to see a collaboration with him And Kendrick but that will never happen due to Lupe's way of thinking and ego.

Its depends on preference, one is definitely more easy listening.

2015 is snapping up to be the best year of music in a while. Snoop bout to drop that gem we been missing since that failed attempt at Reggae. Even Big Sean'Sean's album was a step up from his last one. I think Ludacris bout to drop a dope album too

I hope the bridge keeps building and doesn't meet a unfortunate dose of corrosion and starts falling down again and we will be back to square one.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I don't understand why Lupe fans and Kendrick fans are arguing to this extreme. Lupe fans and Kemdrick fans should be supporting one another these are the two artists not named Nas who utilize their platform within the mainstream to push lyricism and substance over party and bullshyt. These are the two artists who have completely reinvigorated the Concept Album within the genre. Lupe and Kendrick are fans of EACH OTHER if shouldn't be like this. We should be championing both and upholding them as the future of the craft../
Real talk..

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
MXLpnMf.gif

that_boy_kilso

mix engineer
Daps
Reppin
Brasil
i think this album is BY FAR the most complex, well written and produced album by k.dot, real dope stuff, its really like a GREAT movie or a great book!

BUT, i never read the same book more than 2 times and never watched the same movie more than 4 times, even my favorites, so for me, the record with the most replay value by him still Section.80...

The only issue of To Pimp a Butterfly for me is that it takes to much time to start the rapping in almost every song, its cool for the experience, but it gets boring for a everyday listen...

but with all that said, shyt is way to dope! kendrick by far the most interesting rapper out right now...

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand why Lupe fans and Kendrick fans are arguing to this extreme. Lupe fans and Kemdrick fans should be supporting one another these are the two artists not named Nas who utilize their platform within the mainstream to push lyricism and substance over party and bullshyt. These are the two artists who have completely reinvigorated the Concept Album within the genre. Lupe and Kendrick are fans of EACH OTHER if shouldn't be like this. We should be championing both and upholding them as the future of the craft../
It's easy to understand honestly.

When cats say stuff like, "Lupe isn't the songwriter that Kendrick is, and Kendrick does everything better" it's ridiculous and some people who mess with both artists can't stand for that. I love Kendrick and Lupe's music. But it's interesting seeing how Lupe's conceptual album was deemed as him trying too hard and being cryptic, and Kendrick's conceptual album being a masterful masterpiece of art. The hypocrisy is apparent to me.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
It's easy to understand honestly.

When cats say stuff like, "Lupe isn't the songwriter that Kendrick is, and Kendrick does everything better" it's ridiculous and some people who mess with both artists can't stand for that. I love Kendrick and Lupe's music. But it's interesting seeing how Lupe's conceptual album was deemed as him trying too hard and being cryptic, and Kendrick's conceptual album being a masterful masterpiece of art. The hypocrisy is apparent to me.
Real talk as well..

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
2014 my favorite albums dropped was Lupe and Cilvia Demo :yeshrug:

I don't know Lupe is still my favorite artist. But he was throwing me off with this twitter rants and outcrying. He dropped Tetsuo and Youth and I was pleased and glad Lupe was back. Album was a 5/5 for me

Lupe and Kendrick stabs should be please at the work they both dropped

But I just can't compare him to Kendrick... Iyrically he isn't fukking with Lupe. But I do think Kendrick has the advantage of making a cohesive body of work. Lupe's album makes you want stop and just ponder on thought provoking topics. Kendrick's album makes you want to FEEL and move. That's the epitome of Funk and Soulful Jazz. Dark poetry at its finest. TPAB paints the picture of a trouble young Black male going to Jazz joint to get alot off his chest and just blazes up the entire joint. Leaves and feels brand new while the audience is in awe at what they just heard. I would like to see a collaboration with him And Kendrick but that will never happen due to Lupe's way of thinking and ego.

Its depends on preference, one is definitely more easy listening.

2015 is snapping up to be the best year of music in a while. Snoop bout to drop that gem we been missing since that failed attempt at Reggae. Even Big Sean'Sean's album was a step up from his last one. I think Ludacris bout to drop a dope album too

I hope the bridge keeps building and doesn't meet a unfortunate dose of corrosion and starts falling down again and we will be back to square one.
Tetsuo & Youth dropped in January 2015 breh

Columbo

Lieutenant
Daps
Reppin
Homicide Investigations
Im liking this album alot but I wish it was a little more mainstream. Its on that stoner tip pretty much all the through. Its hard to imagine myself liking this as much as gkmc but its too early to say

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As for this Lupe vs Kendrick nonsense. I'm seriously getting annoyed with it by Lupe stans. Every time theres a thread centered around Kendrick Lupe is always mentioned out of nowhere. Whats the big deal? Sounds like insecurity.

IMO I prefer Kendrick. Again that's just my opinion. I feel Kendrick is just more versatile/diverse which what I like about him. He can make conscious music like Lupe, but also love/sex songs, ignorant/banger music, West Coast gangsta music, happy music and sometimes club music. Lupe while he is a beast main priority seems to mostly be lyricism which is important for a rapper, but putting it over many things can be stale. Kendrick balances things out.

@ bold it's funny cause before the Lupe vs Kendrick stan war poppin off, every other page ITT was a post mentioning Drake trying to throw shade.

Now that it's Lupe nikkas calling for peace n shyt. :bryan: the booth is so goofy man

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
My problem with Lupe stans is that they conflate technical ability with good music. Lupe is an amazing rapper with complex lyricism but that doesn't mean he makes great music. Just like Eminem is technically a great rapper but that doesn't mean he makes good music.

I like Lupe's new album because it marries his complexity with some good song writing and beats. That hasn't always been the case for him. F&L2 is wack because everything surrounding the lyricism is meh. Lasers is him overthinking pop rap and looking like a fool.

Music isn't just technical proficiency. Yall sound like Yngwie Malmsteen stans who praise his technical ability and act like it elevates his music beyond masturbatory wankery. Nah. I'll take the "simple" guitar brilliance of BB King or Paul McCartney over that any day of the week. Songwriting wins.

Trey0'5Blue2Gz

I'm The Cook that killed Gus Fring
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Liberty City
This not even a rap/ Hip Hop album, It just glorious fusion of all black music (Funk, Jazz, Spoken Word, etc) just :myman:

Yep! This is why I really enjoy this album. I was playing this around my dad earlier and he was digging it. My Pops played jazz when he was younger so it had him feeling nostalgic. He was telling me how much he enjoyed hearing a mixture of different eras of black music being meshed together to spread a positive message.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I really really really fukk with this. I was listening and once Pac came in on the last track and everything came together, it just made me really love this album. It's concise, it's personal, it's raw emotion, it's well put together and it's definitely left of the mainstream and for what he seemed to be going through personally while making it, it makes sense that the album sounds the way it does. It's jazz, funk, hip hop, and a soul album all wrapped in one as he just talks to Pac for an entire album

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i wish he'd stop talking about his dikk all the time.

i really enjoy this album..but it has tons of references and quotes/homages .. if this was game or hov y'all would have the pitchforks out. let's call a spade a spade

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
welcome to the coli where you can't be a fan of 2 great artist at the same time.