Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they love when we kick that hood shyt...now when we get into that black fist in the air shyt...that's another story

This was basically Hidden Colors, a Spike Lee joint, and 7am in musical form. Classic blackness that we need at this very moment. I love this album. I don't think any CAC could come close to stealing this flow, like that fat CAC stole Ghostface's

Maybe I'm missing something, but what was so empowering and conscientious about this album? How is it "classic blackness"? Because he calls himself a "proud monkey"? Because he says "don't shyt change unless you wash your ass"? Because he compares black-on-black crime to the Trayvon Martin case?

I honestly want to know. What am I missing? What have I overlooked? :mindblown:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Maybe I'm missing something, but what was so empowering and conscientious about this album? How is it "classic blackness"? Because he calls himself a "proud monkey"? Because he says "don't shyt change unless you wash your ass"? Because he compares black-on-black crime to the Trayvon Martin case?

Post your pic. We need to confirm your black card before we answer this goofy shyt seriously. Somethings not right within you

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane

nikkas hear that jazz and zone out:mjlol:

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
It just flows perfectly :blessed:

If only Banks could...:mjcry: nvm

Heard it again today, this time in the whip wit my nikkas :whew:

I hate that I spoiled myself to The Blacker The Berry, if I didn't know about it, it literally would've been the greatest climax I've heard on record. The buildup to that song is just perfectly executed. :banderas:

another thing is that if people are still talking about this album being a modern g-funk album then they have a short attention span. When you get past King Kunta the only thing that's jazz/funk about this album is i. It's a hip-hop album through and through, with crossover R&B beats but almost no R&B artists do the hooks

The transition from Complexion to Blacker The Berry is INSANE. That calm feeling Rap's verse and the beat change up give you...into the monologue...into the sinister feel of BTB is :wow::wow:

It's a classic.

I don't even skip the songs I kinda consider skipping.

That chorus on how much a dollar cost hyyyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnn and them vibrations on walls can talk.

That nikka who killed kendrick boy feeling that ETHER.

111122-Wilfred-Mott-crying-gif-Imgur-dXok.gif

I second every word of your post fam. And just to think, a few hours ago I thought the album was iight and that Rosenberg was overreacting, but fukk what anybody says, this is gonna be an undisputable classic. And if nothing else, it's solidified, Kendrick's the best RAPPER (not most popular, not most hype, not most charismatic, but the BEST overall rapper) in the game. Who was the last artist to debut with two back to back classics, that's still living? :wow: And "ether" don't even do justice to what he did to that boy on "These Walls"...that shyt is borderline suicide-inducing if you put yourself in ol boys shoes, listening to that shyt...Goddamn :banderas:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Lupe also doesn't use skits with amazing spoken word for the listeners
Lupe also doesn't change his voice to connect his storytelling even more

Kendrick does this so perfectly though :wow:

Word!:sas1: @GoldenGlove

:dwillhuh:Uhhh...what about all the times Lupe:lupe: has his sister doing spoken word on various cuts/intros/interludes/etc. tho?:francis: Or are you saying her's just isn't "amazing"?
You must've thought it was cool to like spoken word on a K. Dot album, yet forgetting and shytting on the originator, Ayesha Jaco.:lolbron:

Also, Prisoner 2 had him doing a different voice for that EXACT same purpose my dude, lol!:youngsabo:

:sas2:

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
If only Banks could...:mjcry: nvm

The transition from Complexion to Blacker The Berry is INSANE. That calm feeling Rap's verse and the beat change up give you...into the monologue...into the sinister feel of BTB is :wow::wow:

I second every word of your post fam. And just to think, a few hours ago I thought the album was iight and that Rosenberg was overreacting, but fukk what anybody says, this is gonna be an undisputable classic. And if nothing else, it's solidified, Kendrick's the best RAPPER (not most popular, not most hype, not most charismatic, but the BEST overall rapper) in the game. Who was the last artist to debut with two back to back classics, that's still living? :wow: And "ether" don't even do justice to what he did to that boy on "These Walls"...that shyt is borderline suicide-inducing if you put yourself in ol boys shoes, listening to that shyt...Goddamn :banderas:
U killed the homie but you locked up where nikkas don't fukk with you.

U have no money on your books like that

U not gettin drugs

U havin dreams about my success and retaliation

Your baby moms was lonely so I consoled her

I'm fukking your baby mama, the only bytch that ever loved you.

Now rewind the song and realize the sound of them walls that are talking are coming from your bytch, and she love it.

Deadly.

nikkas die for this shyt. Yikes :huhldup:

But he's never going to see the light of day again

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix

The rhythms and melodies are nostalgic

They bring you back to a place you used to enjoy. It's hard to explain. If you not feeling it, then you just not feeling it.

It would be like asking and old head who was able to experience midnight marauders when it originally drooped, why they may or may not have liked ATCQ

The beauty of music is that it's subjective.

You're not any less of person if you like or don't like [x] - piece of art.

Last edited: