Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Album didn't hit me off bat like GKMC but god damn there are some joints on here. fukking with These Walls, King Kunta and Institutionalised the most so far. Loving the instrumentation on here. Couple of tracks I'm still not 100% on but overall I'm fukking with this heavy. Good album to just drink and vibe to. King Kendrick went completely left with this and I gotta :salute: duke for it.

I dunno why cats are so surprised with the sound / direction though. He's been mentioning constantly Terrace and Thundercat have been heavily involved with the album and the beats are what you would expect from a fusion of those two.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Just finished. This shyt is a well orchestrated piece of trash. Kendrick loves to get ultra poetic to hide the fact that he isn't saying much of anything beneficial to the listener while pretending he is. I remember his team disrespectfully saying that he was an evolution of tupac in his Bio and now they want to try and latch on to his great legacy in an attempt to make Kendrick be something he's not. Kendrick is a nikka, quickly approaching 30 whom raps from the perspective of a 15 year old wanna be militant spitting soft serve fluffy versions of the shyt his west coast forefathers did over two decades ago. Absolutely trash

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like it. But goddamn. It's just so contrived man. Im just disappointed. It's like a waste of talent.
You just des
Another good interpretation:

The over analyzing of music is so damn annoying, it sounds good or it doesn't. Muffuccas always gotta nerd up everything

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
There ARE bangers.. nikkas are just too infatuated with trap music. You can't even blame them either because that's all that's currently around us. People like complaining how Hip Hop is all the same, yet when a rapper gets bold enough to do something different, he catches hate for it. Well. Then don't complain when you get 15 versions of the Rich Gang mixtape from 30 different rappers. :ufdup:

You tryna tell me that Alright isn't a banger? Complexion? Wesley's Theory?? These Walls??? :usure: Even the album version of "i" goes.

Trap music just ruined a lot of people's ears when they weren't exposed to anything else. I'm Glad that Kendrick went that organic route to make his follow up of GKMC instead of commercial garbage like Wiz Khalifa. :banderas:

Daps
CLASSIC album..I might bump this for 2 months straight :ahh:

Top 5:

1. Momma
2. Mortal Man
3. These Walls
4. You Aint Gotta lie
5. Alright

ugh..fukk it, every joint on there is 5/5
that corny ass verse by rapsody tho. :beli:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
Trap music just ruined a lot of people's ears when they weren't exposed to anything else. I'm Glad that Kendrick went that organic route to make his follow up of GKMC instead of commercial garbage like Wiz Khalifa. :banderas:

It goes even further back than trap too. Remember when Crunk music was a thing? Cause Crunk is basically Trap without the 808s. And Crunk was surfacing... I wanna say around maybe 2004? So it'd be about 11 years running. I remember when D4L and Dem Franchize Boys were the hottest crew on TV, and everybody was doing the dances.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
If you like traditional forms of black music you'll probly like this album. :myman:

If you are a hollowed out drug fiend that fiends for Sesame Street bars, 808s, Church Bells and machine gun hihats you might not feel it.:whoa:

:laff: so true. People's ears have not been conditioned to earlier forms of black music.