The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The album is average.

A lot of these posters in here are praising it like it's the second coming. But Tetsuo & Youth as well as 2014 Forest Hills Drive are better.

To be honest, it's kinda boring. I guess you could say it's sonically consistent, but that's not really a good thing. Nothing really stood out to me as inspiring or innovative. His attempts to be conscious seemed hollow. It's a letdown, especially after GKMC.

There are some highlights, some moments of depth, but nothing that would elevate it to classic status.

If anyone besides Kendrick had released this album, it would not get a quarter of the praise it's received.

On top of that, I think it's somewhat socially irresponsible. Kendrick is using his platform to recite meaningless platitudes and promote concepts like "respectability politics". To see that receive such acclaim in the mainstream, or for it to be promoted as the salvation of hip-hop, is disheartening.

I'm not saying the album is trash. It's just disappointing. :yeshrug:
I'm glad he shouted out Killer Mike cause when it comes to discussing politics, Kendrick sounds like a high schooler talking about race and sociology...and Killer Mike sounds like a Nobel winning laureate on the matter.

Jay Electronica sounds like a PhD/Spiritual GURU

THAT is how radically different his skill level is on the matter.

But hey, I'm dealing with a lot of dudes who don't have anything past a bachelors degree or who lack real background in these topics including books read, and actual social experience facing or solving these problems.

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I won't get into where I feel this album ranks or comparisons to other artists. It's been out less than 24 hours; gotta let it digest more. What I will say is the way that the entire album builds to the crescendo of Mortal Man, how the complete statement/poem he initially reads to Pac was used segue into subsequent songs -- the interview and then the final analysis of what it means to, "Pimp a Butterfly," is beautiful. I can't think of a more appropriate word.

Brehs also need to ignore @Napoleon. He's a Drake dreidel rider extraordinaire that aligns himself against anything or anyone that is contemporary or rival of Drake/OVO as if he was Drake himself, on some Talented Mr. Ripley shyt :pachaha:. It's the reason he hates J.Cole, Kendrick, tries to prop up the Bar mitzvah next door over the Weeknd, et al. shyt is embarrassing and unbecoming of a man.

Daps
Man this album sucks

Kendrick isnt talking about shyt that matters, hes not selling out shows, driving whips you wont even catch at disneyland nor is he fukkin every bad bytch. -Doesnt even have beats that I can bump in my shytty car that doesnt even have a sound system
-he aint even talkin about drugs and shootin nikkas up
-hes not running through the 6
-he aint even got metro boomin n DJ mustard beats this shyt is trash

:troll:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I won't get into where I feel this album ranks or comparisons to other artists. It's been out less than 24 hours; gotta let it digest more. What I will say is the way that the entire album builds to the crescendo of Mortal Man, how the complete statement/poem he initially reads to Pac was used segue into subsequent songs -- the interview and then the final analysis of what it means to, "Pimp a Butterfly," is beautiful. I can't think of a more appropriate word.

Brehs also need to ignore @Napoleon. He's a Drake dreidel rider extraordinaire that aligns himself against anything or anyone that is contemporary or rival of Drake/OVO as if he was Drake himself, on some Talented Mr. Ripley shyt :pachaha:. It's the reason he hates J.Cole, Kendrick, tries to prop up the Bar mitzvah next door over the Weeknd, et al. shyt is embarrassing and unbecoming of a man.
Hey man. Kendrick and Cole fans asked for it. :manny:

All these attempts at denigrating Drake resulted in posters like me having to step in and remind you all that you don't truly appreciate genre defining and revolutionary music that evolves the sound of an already innovative genre.

Jen The Prude

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Daps
Reppin
OVO/France
The album is average.

A lot of these posters in here are praising it like it's the second coming. But Tetsuo & Youth as well as 2014 Forest Hills Drive are better.

To be honest, it's kinda boring. I guess you could say it's sonically consistent, but that's not really a good thing. Nothing really stood out to me as inspiring or innovative. His attempts to be conscious seemed hollow. It's a letdown, especially after GKMC.

There are some highlights, some moments of depth, but nothing that would elevate it to classic status.

If anyone besides Kendrick had released this album, it would not get a quarter of the praise it's received.

On top of that, I think it's somewhat socially irresponsible. Kendrick is using his platform to recite meaningless platitudes and promote concepts like "respectability politics". To see that receive such acclaim in the mainstream, or for it to be promoted as the salvation of hip-hop, is disheartening.

I'm not saying the album is trash. It's just disappointing. :yeshrug:

That's a very polite way of saying that all the songs sound the same. And they sure do!