Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

MostHatedBox

Boxstate's own
Supporter
Daps
MBDTF is a classic for different reasons (even though to me Late Registration is 'Ye's best work). MBDTF is a classic because of Kanye's work as a collaborator, and a master of arrangement. He took world famous and in some cases timeless voices and reduced them to nothing more than instruments that can be used at his disposal. Its also perfectly paced.
:patrice: When did I say MBDTF wasn't a classic? It is it just took me longer to get into that album but its a classic. This album was crazy from the start for me an Instant classic in my opinion.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
But in the same way people will look at the Migos on face value, they'll look at Kendrick as being some "genius" when he's really not much more than Phonte, Black Thought, or any host of feature artists on the last 20 years of The Roots albums

I see where you are coming from. I disagree, however. Part of Kendrick's talent is not just his honesty but his willingness to be strange and take chances on his art. Little Brother and the Soulquarians became tropes in the early 2000's regardless of their talent and quality of work.

I don't see Kendrick as becoming a trope, because as it stands he exists within a vacuum. Does he have the benefit of dropping at the right time? Yes. But so did Nas and so did Kanye. Kendrick along with Kanye, Gambino (who isn't on the same talent level at all but bear with me), are pushing the envelope of hip-hop sonically. Making the subject matter more nuanced in an artform that always took pride in being abrasive. Its like impressionism.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I see where you are coming from. I disagree, however. Part of Kendrick's talent is not just his honesty but his willingness to be strange and take chances on his art. Little Brother and the Soulquarians became tropes in the early 2000's regardless of their talent and quality of work.

I don't see Kendrick as becoming a trope, because as it stands he exists within a vacuum. Does he have the benefit of dropping at the right time? Yes. But so did Nas and so did Kanye. Kendrick along with Kanye, Gambino (who isn't on the same talent level at all but bear with me), are pushing the envelope of hip-hop sonically. Making the subject matter more nuanced in an artform that always took pride in being abrasive. Its like impressionism.
I respect it...I just understand that I'm either too "aware" and too experienced to accept this surface level criticism of "the system"

This sort of reactionary passive aggressive pseudo-revolutionary music by just name-dropping black civil rights leaders is just so fatiguing right now. I'm over it.

I understand a lot of these dudes need this shyt cause they lack role models and leadership in their own personal lives...but this isn't going to leave a mark on me.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Started off a lil shaky baby, loved the intro, I'm on Blacker the Berry now, and honestly...You can see exactly what impact this'll have on the game. Or at least what he was aiming for. This ain't been done since the 90's (with this popular of an artist), and it's definitely a gutsy, honorable, ARTIST move to create an album like this. And honestly it's CRAZY when you think of how many bases this album touches. First off, the commentary on BLACK life. Street culture. Politics. Inner turmoil. American culture...Positiviy, negativity...The throwback scat, blaxploitation and jazz influences...The overall musical mash-ups that infuse today with yesterday making it timeless for the future...90% of this album WON'T turn off grandma, or ya old aunt or uncle that don't fukk with rap AT ALL.

They'll actually prolly have the :ohhh: if they catch a snippet. Honestly this is a good ass album for a black barbecue, summertime riding, lounging, or just digesting and breaking down. I'm not trying to jump the gun, but it's ridiculous that even though this might be a polarizing album, it's very BROAD in it's reach and what it accomplishes. I think it'll do well. But with time, it'll definitely be appreciated. I'd say Kendrick's 2/2. Early.

:wow:
The Roots never made an album, huh?

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
damn, someone was trying to fukk with Kendricks sales lmao

dangeroo saying he fixing it

edit: supposedly you can get it on itunes again