Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
He won't because his approach to music is different. While Kendricks music has some depth to unpack, his approach is pretty straight forward. He's also trying to connect with the listener on a emotional level. I also feel like it's music 1st and message 2nd. Lupe can be very inaccessible as an artist in his music, and according to his fans, they like that his shyt requires a ton of deciphering for enjoyment's sake. Lupe can be very heavy handed with his lyrics over everything approach.
And I don't agree with it this time around tho...cause if u just blindly listen to the beats and hooks on Lupe's Tetsuo and Youth...they are more catchy and have a lot of appeal...u can actually put some of those songs in Lupe's album on the radio...it's musically great imo...and the hooks are great as well...catchy but he managed to tie everything In with what he was saying..he didn't waste anything...and didn't even rely on skits...problem is people know Lupe isn't being straight forward and criticize it cause they may not get it on first listen...meanwhile people are willing to keep going back to catch different things with Kendrick...and yea..they approach things different...Lupe is more poetic in his approach...I just feel like it's a double standard going on when it comes to peoples favorite artists....

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
THese Days is just more rhythmic or some shyt to me I dunno.

The beats are better (for rapping on). Thus, the flows are better. The hooks are better. The beats are better. The ambience, background vocals and sound effects were well placed. And all that stuff to me is more important than that actual lyricism.

And then the concepts on tracks like Tree of Life were just :ohlawd:.

Outside of Pineal Gland, Empathy and Illuminate I dont even remember which songs I really loved from Control System but there are probably 3 or 4 more.
On These Days...Feeling Us, WROH, God's Reign, Stigmata, Tree of Life, 100 Stax, World Runners, Never Mind that....ALL FIRE.

Album is just more well produced

:dwillhuh:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Upon first listen is a GREAT album. :wow:

The cats hatin' are these #NewBlacks who want him to Migos flow all day and talk more about that hood stuff. :pacspit:

Every person who doesn't feel/understand the jazz/funk influences on this album is revealing themselfs as either young bloods with no grasp of black music history or cats who think rap need to be in the trap all the time...

fukk ya'll this shyt is one of the best Sophomore efforts since IWW, Word of Mouf and Late Registration

ralph lauren

Banned
Daps
Um, physical copies haven't even been released.

Why are all K.Dot fans pathological liars?

The commercial success of this album is currently in jeopardy. Because it is so excruciatingly boring, the bulk of this album's sales should be in his first week but now that it's been semi-leaked, I think a lot of the hype will die down by March 23rd.

900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg

i know its not out in stores.. i was just trying to get a link

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Why would iTunes take the album down NOW? SMH, hustling backwards, and if it's the lable, they're stupid as hell. This is just gonna hurt the sales.

For the ppl asking for a link, I caught up on the posts that I missed (about 7 pages, at 50 posts per page), and saw 2 posts with links to the album in spoiler tags (which IS a no-no fyi), so do the math, dig a little and you'll find it.

Also, I see some of the Kendrick-hating brigade that couldn't stay up past their bed time to hate when this dropped are starting to filter in. This thread is about to go to shyt pretty quickly.

Finally, can we stop with the "this album isn't for cacs" type posts. That's just ignorance. Music is universal. Just because it has a pro-black message doesn't make it anti-white. There are alot of us out there capable of enjoying and supporting the message of a strong black man. I enjoyed the album immensely while listening last night, but according to some folks on here, that shouldn't be possible becasue I'm a "cac"? Absurd. I guess I shouldn't like Public Enemy either? Not all of us are racist devils like some of you so desperately want to believe.

The album is still up on Spotify...

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
here I go
the way it starts :banderas:
fukkin george clinton and thundercaaaaat :lawd:
edit;; this dikk aint freEE :russ:
king kunta :stylin:
flying lotus HAS to be on Institutionalized
that delicate, experimental emotional sound with those spoken word-esque lyrics :wow:
giving me Erykah Badu vibes
snoop :lawd:
these walls has those throwback, top down R&B vibes, it's so fukking good! :damn:He's such a poet
that dark turn at the end :ohlawd:
u has me making the :scust: face at my desk, he's snapping
oh shyt, alright is gold :lawd:
those slight chopped and screwed/lean vibes
the soundscape in the for sale interlude is really immersive and his high voice is really elevating it, very surreal
momma is some serious spoken word
hood politics is really pleasant, you can nostalgia thinking about the people you know who are like the caricature he's painting while the beat is a really nice mix of ambient, dark and funky
plus the bass :ohlawd:
that dark drop at the new part of the skit :ohlawd:
how much a dollar cost's lyrics, god damn, I'm choking up a little :to:
complexion is hitting me right in the chest, yo :mjcry:
rapsody's lisp is sexy as fukk

the blacker the berry is just so good
not as like a musical political manifesto
but as this big, angry, cathartic venting of a black mans frustration
it's a really interesting and accessible dissection of a perspective that isn't heard that often (off the coli lol)

momma said is comfortable and romantic :ehh:
skipped i
went back, that intro :wow:
this sounds a lot better in album :wow:

mortal man :to:
the cry of an artist for acceptance :to:

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Upon first listen is a GREAT album. :wow:

The cats hatin' are these #NewBlacks who want him to Migos flow all day and talk more about that hood stuff. :pacspit:

Every person who doesn't feel/understand the jazz/funk influences on this album is revealing themselfs as either young bloods with no grasp of black music history or cats who think rap need to be in the trap all the time...

fukk ya'll this shyt is one of the best Sophomore efforts since IWW, Word of Mouf and Late Registration
First of all, the Migos are technical rap MONSTERS. So for you to even say this shyt just shows how little you know or pay attention to.

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
So far this shyt sound like

Black Messiah - D Angelo
Aquemini/Stankonia - Outkast
Untitled - Nas
How I Got Over - The Roots

All in one :mindblown: :banderas:

With a little Erykah Badu - New Amerykah 2 mixed in for good measure...

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i enjoyed it on first listen last night.

I don't want to give it a mic score cuz this one will take longer to digest.

it didn't hit me as an instant classic (:mjpls:) like GKMC did on first listen but i enjoyed it musically.

it sounded like so many influences in one

Standouts to me on first listen were king kunta(but already heard it) and alright..