Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't rock with this. Was never one for neo soul/funk type shyt.

Alright is cool tho because he was flowing.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
First of all, the Migos are technical rap MONSTERS. So for you to even say this shyt just shows how little you know or pay attention to.

They are technically sound....but how many people do YOU know actually understand the technical aspects of MCing? And how much of their flow actually takes away from the fact that they are actually really forward and honest artists. I wasn't saying it to diss Migos i'm saying it because most people take them at face value...which is what people want from rap nowadays based on consumption...besides this.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
u :skip:

This track went from a strange but ultimately focused melancholy to drunken rambling over poor production :snoop:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
They are technically sound....but how many people do YOU know actually understand the technical aspects of MCing? And how much of their flow actually takes away from the fact that they are actually really forward and honest artists. I wasn't saying it to diss Migos i'm saying it because most people take them at face value...which is what people want from rap nowadays based on consumption...besides this.
But in the same way people will look at the Migos on face value, they'll look at Kendrick as being some "genius" when he's really not much more than Phonte, Black Thought, or any host of feature artists on the last 20 years of The Roots albums

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Yes I didn't have MBDTF on constant repeat like this. Bias opinion though.

MBDTF is a classic for different reasons (even though to me Late Registration is 'Ye's best work). MBDTF is a classic because of Kanye's work as a collaborator, and a master of arrangement. He took world famous and in some cases timeless voices and reduced them to nothing more than instruments that can be used at his disposal. Its also perfectly paced.

Flight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
KC
I've actually been listening to a lot of Jazz lately in the weeks leading up to this album and I ain't bumpin Ross, Drake or Gucci :manny:

I've actually been feeling conflicted with rap as of late with all of this shyt happening in Ferguson and nikkas getting murdered left and right, so much that I really haven't been able to listen to shyt like I have in the past because it just don't connect with me anymore. And I started to delve deep into more conscious, soulful and jazzy music to fit my vibe. That's why I'm so grateful for this album because it came at a time where I really needed it.:mjcry:Along with making my own shyt, It's crazy how much my musical taste is developing at only age 22. :wow:

Suggest me some good jazz artists breh.

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
Started off a lil shaky baby, loved the intro, I'm on Blacker the Berry now, and honestly...You can see exactly what impact this'll have on the game. Or at least what he was aiming for. This ain't been done since the 90's (with this popular of an artist), and it's definitely a gutsy, honorable, ARTIST move to create an album like this. And honestly it's CRAZY when you think of how many bases this album touches. First off, the commentary on BLACK life. Street culture. Politics. Inner turmoil. American culture...Positiviy, negativity...The throwback scat, blaxploitation and jazz influences...The overall musical mash-ups that infuse today with yesterday making it timeless for the future...90% of this album WON'T turn off grandma, or ya old aunt or uncle that don't fukk with rap AT ALL.

They'll actually prolly have the :ohhh: if they catch a snippet. Honestly this is a good ass album for a black barbecue, summertime riding, lounging, or just digesting and breaking down. I'm not trying to jump the gun, but it's ridiculous that even though this might be a polarizing album, it's very BROAD in it's reach and what it accomplishes. I think it'll do well. But with time, it'll definitely be appreciated. I'd say Kendrick's 2/2. Early.

:wow:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Honestly it feels like a child of Outkast/Roots/Common/J Dilla/Soulquarians etc. Funny both K Dot and J Cole were able to make some "Grown Man" type of albums. Love the content, I was concerned about some of his comments on Trayvon and Mike Brown but to make a LP like this with really zero mainstream singles and strong black content. I mean just like D'Angelo with "Black Messiah", the Black Identity of this album can't be denied. The 2nd album is very difficult but he came completely different. Can't call it if it's better than "Good Kiid" or "Section 80" cause I just started listening to it. "Mortal Man" did a great editing job on that Pac interview.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Im bout to check it out. Skimmed it on itunes earlier. It reminds me of D'angelo's album. Which is a really good thing. Love the jazzy funk influence. Yoo why isn't that song he performed on the Colbert report not on the album? :dwillhuh: Shyt dont make sense at all. It goes with the flow of the album. Did the song leak? Anybody have it? Cause I'll just add it in to the rotation.