Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Why would iTunes take the album down NOW? SMH, hustling backwards, and if it's the lable, they're stupid as hell. This is just gonna hurt the sales.

For the ppl asking for a link, I caught up on the posts that I missed (about 7 pages, at 50 posts per page), and saw 2 posts with links to the album in spoiler tags (which IS a no-no fyi), so do the math, dig a little and you'll find it.

Also, I see some of the Kendrick-hating brigade that couldn't stay up past their bed time to hate when this dropped are starting to filter in. This thread is about to go to shyt pretty quickly.

Finally, can we stop with the "this album isn't for cacs" type posts. That's just ignorance. Music is universal. Just because it has a pro-black message doesn't make it anti-white. There are alot of us out there capable of enjoying and supporting the message of a strong black man. I enjoyed the album immensely while listening last night, but according to some folks on here, that shouldn't be possible becasue I'm a "cac"? Absurd. I guess I shouldn't like Public Enemy either? Not all of us are racist devils like some of you so desperately want to believe.

MLB again this year?

:abelinthecut:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Had a chance to sleep on it, and woke up and threw it on again with no distractions

It's good. It starts off sorta slow, then really picks up around "These Walls" for me. I marginally enjoyed the production more, though production doesn't really do much for me anymore, that jazzy, hazy, smooth (I guess, I hate when people use that word for some reason) type of production that is throughout. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it though, there is a lot of interesting things musically going on here. I just not super enjoyable for me.

And I've only been through it a couple of times, but it definitely reminds me of Lupe's album in that it's an ambitious work that I'll acknowledge is laudable in its scope and desire for artistry, but I've been down these roads before, this isn't my first rodeo. I already know I'm not gonna be listening to it a month from now, and that's just being real. Conceptually, musically, it's a step towards growth, but I know deep down there's very little here that will keep me coming back. Honestly the same thing happened with GKMC, I really only rarely listen to the songs that made a personal impression on me (Swimming Pools, Real, Money Trees).
Yep.

Its like a sonic piece of wall art...but... I definitely won't be playing this often...but as someone who really listens to jazz, funk, and house etc music...I'm HEARING the biting in lil' dude right now.

This is a little more listenable than Lupe's album (which was incredible) in the sense so much of it just blends together. But I'm just too old to listen to this pseudo-informed talk. Its just not for me. I'm not trying to get inspired by a young dude with relatively no life experience talking about generic social ills.

And other rappers (I won't say one, but his name starts with a D... or a K... ) go into the relationships with women aspect to a degree I think is way more genuine and NOVEL.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
OK. I'm gonna push back here and I'mma need yo just accept this:

He's not sounding different from any of the following:

The Roots
Foreign Exchange/Little Brother
Robert Glasper
Big KRIT
OutKast

Either we just need to accept that Funk as a genre is limited or that kendrick isn't pushing it as much as he's claiming to.

How is this bad?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
THese Days is just more rhythmic or some shyt to me I dunno.

The beats are better (for rapping on). Thus, the flows are better. The hooks are better. The beats are better. The ambience, background vocals and sound effects were well placed. And all that stuff to me is more important than that actual lyricism.

And then the concepts on tracks like Tree of Life were just :ohlawd:.

Outside of Pineal Gland, Empathy and Illuminate I dont even remember which songs I really loved from Control System but there are probably 3 or 4 more.
On These Days...Feeling Us, WROH, God's Reign, Stigmata, Tree of Life, 100 Stax, World Runners, Never Mind that....ALL FIRE.

Album is just more well produced