Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Daps
Reppin
Old School Players to New School Fools
I can't even rate it yet. However based on the fact that I have listened through 3 times in half a day is enough to tell me its a proper album and built to last.

Its reminding me of when I first heard Aquemini in terms of wanting to really focus on everything.

What I will say is that this is music and chalk and cheese with 90% of other hiphop releases.

Would be interested in seeing the product credits.
I can hear lots of Terrence Martin, DJ Quik, Rapahel Saddiq and a bit of Dr Dre.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
This album dropped and quite literally overnight, nikkas in the Booth have turned into funk/jazz connoisseurs :mjlol:

Yeah...you went from bumpin Gucci, Ross, and Drake....now all of a sudden you're dusting off Miles Coltrane and Parliament-Funkadelic records to appreciate songs Kendrick don't even sound comfortable on

Not saying it's not possible....but for YOU nikkaS? :laff:

There may not be an objective opinion on this album from this subforum until April-May :wow:
Lol I sorta noticed this too. All of a sudden nikkas been boppin to jazz and funk they whole life now that this has came out :comeon:

But you can get an objective opinion from me after a few more spins. Listened to the album 3 times, now on mye 4th. It's a really good album, but it has flaws.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
This album dropped and quite literally overnight, nikkas in the Booth have turned into funk/jazz connoisseurs :mjlol:

Yeah...you went from bumpin Gucci, Ross, and Drake....now all of a sudden you're dusting off Miles Coltrane and Parliament-Funkadelic records to appreciate songs Kendrick don't even sound comfortable on

Not saying it's not possible....but for YOU nikkaS? :laff:

There may not be an objective opinion on this album from this subforum until April-May :wow:
Maybe you shouldn't listen until you can get over people enjoying it.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
"I don't give a fukk about no politics in rap"

I swear I been saying this shyt all throughout here in the Booth

Kendrick been lurking The Coli :ohhh:

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
Brehs I'm really enjoying the interludes. Y is everybody hating them? They're so dope to me

kem2

Pro
Daps
as for people using this album to mention and slight Drake, to me it should be J. Cole they should looking at like :francis: after this album.

Word.

I like J.Cole but Kendrick is so miles ahead of him it's not even funny. Cole is three albums in and has progressed so little, while Kendrick went from S80 to GKMC and now to TPAB.

He gave his fans and his critics exactly what they wanted with FHD, but that shyt still ain't a classic. He tried riding the pro black wave, but his ideas concerning blackness and race relations are on some naive basic shyt. What did he really say in that album? shyt was about hoes, fame and rapping at the end of the day like all his albums before that. Kendrick's comments regarding Ferguson were :huhldup:, but he actually made race a main focus of his album and came through with some substance.

I don't even really fukk with the album like that (jazz and spoken word is not for me), but you have to appreciate the growth he showed with the project. People wanted a GKMC 2 and he didn't give it to them which takes a lot of courage as an artist.

Last edited:

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
Brehs I'm really enjoying the interludes. Y is everybody hating them? They're so dope to me
I learned when GKMC dropped that some people are gonna hate for the sake of hating. I don't understand it but its whatever. If you like it you do, if you don't you don't. I just never understood trolling threads of music you don't like. When Drake's project dropped, I checked it out. It wasn't for me. I left it at that.