Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
better than the first?
The first is more easily acccessible. Its way too soon to tell which album is better for me. I needed this album. The same way I need GKMC when it dropped for the first time. I'm looking forward to growing with this album.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
What do you guys think the reaction would have been if he dropped this first then GKMC?
I think GKMC was better as a debut.

S80 is still my favorite, I think. I only have herd TPAB once, and it was this morning when I got to work. I have to give it the headphone and car listen, but I dig it. I'm glad he did his own thing on here, and I like the funk influence. It's cool hearing Ron Isley and George Clinton on this.

Sometimes I wished he worked with a few more producers outside of his team, Digi+Phonics. Even if he kept it to some other Cali producers like ALC, Madlib, or Oh No, I think that would be cool. But I really like how he always goes to them first, and great labels are usually defined by having a core production team that makes their sound. They did a great job of bringing a different vibe to this album. A lot of the beats I don't think I'd love just by themselves, but Kendrick adds a lot to them.

Again, huge shouts to Rapsody for making the album. Ab-Soul just gave her a big shoutout on that 47 Bars with Alchemist when he said, "if skills sold, truth be told, I'd actually be Rapsody." She got got slept on by XXL on that Freshman list, and I'm glad she's doing big things. I'm glad she got more than just a 16.

Mortal Man is my favorite song on here btw.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The first is more easily acccessible. Its way too soon to tell which album is better for me. I needed this album. The same way I need GKMC when it dropped for the first time. I'm looking forward to growing with this album.
the reason i ask is because GKMC wasnt all that to me outside of like 4 songs.

If its not better I know to download this without the high expectations that yall comments would create. I do however expect that the album is better

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
I just want to BUY the cd :to: Apple took the release down. :mjcry: I ain't even gonna download it until I buy it :sadcam:
That's gonna make ppl bootleg it and will hurt the sales. Smh I want Kendrick to sell a mil the first week. I wonder how much it sold so far?

Anyway to find out the numbers so far?

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
Only thing I don't feel at all is that For Free Interlude, seriously what :dahell:

I liked the production on most of album, and 'u' was wack at first but then he pulls that crying Ghostface flow mid track :wow:

I think I already like it more than GKMC, not sure of its replay value though, gotta see:ehh:

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
the reason i ask is because GKMC wasnt all that to me outside of like 4 songs.

If its not better I know to download this without the high expectations that yall comments would create. I do however expect that the album is better
If you're not into funk or jazz then this album might not be for you. Most of the songs take a direction in one of those two genres. If you're not a fan of Kendrick as am emcee or the voices that he does sometimes on tracks then this album probably isn't for you. The subject matter is very good imo and is very necessary in today's world. The beats and Kendrick's flow are the things I can see throwing people off with this album. Having said all that, as a fan of Kendrick, funk, jazz, and the content, this album is fantastic. Its everything I wanted it to be. Its just clear that Kendrick gives no fukks about appealing to as many people as possible. This album is gonna divide a lot of Kendrick fans and its not gonna convince people who weren't fans to be fans I dont think. I hope that explained enough lol.