Kendrick Lamar - The Heart pt. 5 official video

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See, this is my main complaint.

A better writer, could condense this and and make it more impactful. he's just too wordy and taking his diary entries and poetry essays and putting them over music.

Its just a chore.

And theres no punchlines. Its just revelations and generic affirmations filling space.

He can perform it well, but its always been tough to digest him knowing he rarely has been able to do what his peers did by actually using the skill of inference and reference and other leitmotifs to get his point across.

This is spoken word. This is not rap music, per se. At least to me.

If he wrote for a magazine, he would be referred to an editor to tighten this up.

@xCivicx @FruitOfTheVale @Cadillac @IVS @SirBiatch @UserNameless @ReturnOfJudah @charmander @SwagBoy @Ravishing Brick Rude @TruDatz @Illuminatos
Breh at some point you just need to throw in the towel and say the shyt ain’t for you. You’ve probably got the most posts in this thread basically trying to convince people not to like it. They do, get over it

jevity

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was needed.

To the culture, from the culture, FOR the love of the culture, and therefore also directly confronting the culture.

Nobody else in the culture=/game could have made a song like this in 2022. Why ? Because nobody else in the culture/=game has BOTH the required set of skills, the lived experience* AND the position and power that Kendrick does.

So in a song like this, coming from him, in times like these, the beat, flow and word for word lyrics almost become secondary if not tertiary to not only the message, but also the messenger himself.

This song is simply a statement from a man taking a stand. The same way a younger Kanye could not stop himself from telling the world about everything HE felt and thought, Kendrick can not stop himself from having to tell the culture/game/world about what HE/WE/THEY feel and think...as we all stagger down this impossible timeline of stupor and stupidity.

It's all about perspectives, and he has just shared his.

* Sometimes THAT shyt just has to come from where it comes from.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
This comes off as very pessimistic about black america, can't say I disagree though.

Great song either way, better than anything off damn.

:wow:
boys not listening its some shyt he sayin n he barrin the shyt out of it

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
And yet it was. Nothing anyone can do about the way that album was received and how praised it was. Like it or not its going down as THE defining album of Kendrick’s career and a true modern classic.

So saying that kendrick revisiting aspects of that album makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Hell Nas revisits aspects of Illmatic. Jay revisits aspects of Reasonable Doubt. All artists dip into the well of their most celebrated works from time to time except perhaps Kanye West, and he’d do well to do so every now and then lol

Not even gonna entertain them comparisons but imma put it like this. I don’t give damn near 2 shyts about these crackas reviews. In real time. That shyt was NOT loved like that on the streets and I’m speaking on straight up Kendrick stans callin it some mid. And the crazy part is it literally dropped on the day my son was born. 03/15/15. I was in the hospital listening to that album while my son and wife slept I should have a deeper connection with that album with how excited I was to listen to it. shyt is the highest rated hip hop album of all time. I’m sorry ain’t no amount of thesis gonna make me get wit that rating. Lol. Homie also won a Pulitzer Prize for DAMN. Another album that ain’t deserve all that. Lol. U my guy so imma always respect ur opinion tho. Lol. But TPAB, is no Illmatic(especially not), or Reasonable Doubt. One of those albums hit the streets like a storm to the point it got bootlegged crazy and made his peers wanna change the way they rapped. The other album was blazin the streets in 96. There’s more to say but u get my drift. Lol. Mark my words tho. GKMC is that album for Kendrick. And if he revisited the likes of that one? U would see a far bigger reaction. And it ain’t about what I like the most either because my fav Kendrick album is Section 80 but I can see objectively what GKMC meant to the generation.

I’m just using those albums as examples. MJ went into the Thriller bag every now and then and Prince, as innovative as he was, dipped into the Purple Rain formula a few times. The POINT is to illustrate that once an artist has presented a formula that results in massive success that its natural to go back to that well at some points in the future. Not to copy yourself but to refine on and even expand on that formula. Kendrick doing the same thing (potentially) is nothing new in hip hop or popular music.

And it wasn’t just cacs who love that album. MANY younger black people and music listeners really adore the album and to many of this generation its their “Fear Of A Black Planet”. Alright became an unofficial anthem for the burgeoning Black Lives Matter movement (the movement NOT the organization) because it struck a cord with black youth. There are also artists and musicians who talk about how influential the album has been to their own approach to making projects that incorporate elements of Jazz and Hip Hop. Whether you fukk with the album or not its not really debatable that its a classic. Hell I don’t like The Beatles but I can’t argue Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club isn’t a classic album. Its just not MY shyt.

See Alright is one of the few songs that from the beginning was a song that many people appreciated. I’m glad u brought that up. That’s a song that everyone I spoke to about the album fukked with. Like I said. What u saying TPAB is. Is what GKMC REALLY was to the streets. Alright is a classic song tho. But don’t forget the plethora of Pac songs that got played over that one during the protests. I love Jazz and Hip Hop fusion. That’s prolly my favorite type of hip hop aesthetic and I’m sorry I’ve just heard this type of shyt done better within the confines of what Kendrick was going for. Beatles isn’t ur type of music. But I fukk with hip hop, that aesthetic, AND Kendrick so I can’t even use that excuse.

Dope discussion right here fellas.

And its something about those 15's

My son was born on 10/15/21 and my niece was born on 3/15/22, lol quite the personalities they.

I wanted to use some smilies but the site is trippin. I went through hell just to quote yall lol. I had to highlight the insight though, salute.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
To WHO?! What you even on bruh. If it was your own opinion I wouldn’t even replied. But you said ‘you can’t play this at a kickback’. Makes no sense. The people running up the numbers on YouTube, all over IG and twitter —-they go to kickbacks!

Like what you like but we way past that ‘but will the bytches like it’ thinking

I unignored you just to see if you were hating on this and I was right

How do you dikkride Drake and hate on this?
:gucci:
Negged and back on ignore

Let me get this straight...the guy who has had multiple writers is a better writer than one of the most, if not the best writer of this generation.

Insufferable doesn't even begin to describe how terrible of a take this is.

Breh at some point you just need to throw in the towel and say the shyt ain’t for you. You’ve probably got the most posts in this thread basically trying to convince people not to like it. They do, get over it

Whoever y'all talmbout, I got that fakkit on ignore already. :blessed:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The visuals and what they mean is cool, but I have to admit that as for the song itself, it's the WEAKEST out of the Heart series.

When Kendrick started the Heart series it used to be him pouring his HEART OUT emotionally through the track and you feel everything. His hunger. His desire. His passion. You FELT THAT.

With this song. I didn't feel any of it. Sure he was mad lyrical and has a message and theme but that's typical. I don't see this any different from the song "i" with instead an of the Isleys instrumental it's with a Marvin Gaye instrumentation. I mean it feels like I seen this schitck before.

This in the end felt SAFE and I hope not the album be a safe album. I expect it to be challenging.

Last edited:

bubba scotch

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See, this is my main complaint.

A better writer, could condense this and and make it more impactful. he's just too wordy and taking his diary entries and poetry essays and putting them over music.

Its just a chore.

And theres no punchlines. Its just revelations and generic affirmations filling space.

He can perform it well, but its always been tough to digest him knowing he rarely has been able to do what his peers did by actually using the skill of inference and reference and other leitmotifs to get his point across.

This is spoken word. This is not rap music, per se. At least to me.

If he wrote for a magazine, he would be referred to an editor to tighten this up.

@xCivicx @FruitOfTheVale @Cadillac @IVS @SirBiatch @UserNameless @ReturnOfJudah @charmander @SwagBoy @Ravishing Brick Rude @TruDatz @Illuminatos

Maybe Kendrick's spoken word is not for you :leon:

Now that we've come to this conclusion, I guess you wont be listening to the album and posting in the album thread...right?:sas2:

No need to go through this torture again...right? :sas2:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This comes off as very pessimistic about black america, can't say I disagree though.

Great song either way, better than anything off damn.

:wow:

so true

I wander if his views have changed or are still the same since TPAB.

He was walking the line of attempting to be the revolutionary he was talking about but stopped doing interviews after he received backlash from saying black people don’t respect themselves and the blacker the berry.

I really hope he dives and gives more depth to his content this time around.

From the rumors I’ve read a lot of it is going to speak on cancel culture and black culture. So I’m really looking forward to it

@FruitOfTheVale you might need to up the thread again about TPAB and cognitive dissonance

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Dope….seein ALOT of hate, sad those who did couldn’t wait to do nothin else….cuz there’s nothin to hate on here

Most of the “hate” is just here on the Coli and it actually seems to be a vical minority of the same posters saying the same thijg over and over.

People on black Twitter and other places are loving the song and video.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
This was needed.

To the culture, from the culture, FOR the love of the culture, and therefore also directly confronting the culture.

Nobody else in the culture=/game could have made a song like this in 2022. Why ? Because nobody else in the culture/=game has BOTH the required set of skills, the lived experience* AND the position and power that Kendrick does.

So in a song like this, coming from him, in times like these, the beat, flow and word for word lyrics almost become secondary if not tertiary to not only the message, but also the messenger himself.

This song is simply a statement from a man taking a stand. The same way a younger Kanye could not stop himself from telling the world about everything HE felt and thought, Kendrick can not stop himself from having to tell the culture/game/world about what HE/WE/THEY feel and think...as we all stagger down this impossible timeline of stupor and stupidity.

It's all about perspectives, and he has just shared his.

* Sometimes THAT shyt just has to come from where it comes from.

Well said. Somebody earlier said ‘would his family be okay with him forgiving the killer’. That’s where we come from. Thats the culture black folk come from that we’ve strayed far far FAAAR from so maybe that’s why it jolts someone to hear that said. Bc now ‘the culture’ is all about “OPPS” and dissing dead enemies. We are fukked and that energy is conveyed in this song. Always been what Kendrick is about, ie GKMC ‘dying of thirst’