Kendrick Lamar - The Heart pt. 5 official video

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
KOD is a meh album at best lol. Even Cole stans aren't parading that album. I'd say T&Y is a good album, even as the resident Luper hater, but I don't see the comparison to TPAB. They don't sound the same sonically. And Lupe's popularity with fans and critics has been declining for years so...
T&Y had some of the same producers as TPAB. And I disagree with KOD. I met a bunch of people who messed with the album. Then saw the backlash it got and turned on it. That whole album rollout was weird af. Bottom line is Kendrick is the only artist out of the big 3 that critical acclaim doesn’t really match the in person response to his music.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
The second half is getting crazier, removing sounds and carrying it on the same level with delivery, flow and rhyme skills. That boy good :wow:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Lupe isn't mainstream but T&Y was acclaimed, i'm a huge Lupe fan but be real T&Y and Lupe in general does not have much mainstream appeal if any. Cole sounded uninspired on KOD and it had bad beats to me personally so I won't speak on that

Kendrick being a critic darling is true but that's hardly relevant IMO because great music is great music
How didn’t T&Y have mainstream appeal but TPAB did? Come on son the only thing mainstream appealing about TPAB is the artist attached to it and “Alright”. shyt T&Y had shyt like Deliver, Adoration Of The Magi, Little Death, and Chopper etc etc. Even Blur My Hands had mainstream appeal. Not saying either of these albums have a bunch of mainstream appeal tho. Cause neither does.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
T&Y had some of the same producers as TPAB. And I disagree with KOD. I met a bunch of people who messed with the album. Then saw the backlash it got and turned on it. That whole album rollout was weird af. Bottom line is Kendrick is the only artist out of the big 3 that critical acclaim doesn’t really match the in person response to his music.
Terrace Martin is on a couple tracks. Are you really gonna argue it's as jazz oriented or "left" as TPAB production wise? It's not the same ballpark, sonically. They're different albums entirely production wise.

KOD didn't even get great reviews on this forum, much less from Cole fans. I don't think it's controversial to say his first album was largely panned by fans. Second album was well received by his fans but less so by general rap listeners. FHD was a classic that satisfied everyone. 4YEO was too experimental for many (I liked it overall). And Off Season was very well received by fans.

If Kendrick's hype didn't match the in person love he wouldn't be doing arena tours and on pace to do 400k+ first week most likely. He has a lot of fans, Cole has a lot of fans, Drake has more fans than either. I'd argue Kendrick has clearly made better albums than Cole or Drake and has also taken more risks. GKMC is a classic...does anyone deny that? TPAB has detractors who don't fukk with jazz but it's a classic album that critics fukked with. And most people fukk with DAMN. I don't really see your argument here.

Last edited:

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
How didn’t T&Y have mainstream appeal but TPAB did? Come on son the only thing mainstream appealing about TPAB is the artist attached to it and “Alright”. shyt T&Y had shyt like Deliver, Adoration Of The Magi, Little Death, and Chopper etc etc. Even Blur My Hands had mainstream appeal. Not saying either of these albums have a bunch of mainstream appeal tho. Cause neither does.

I never said TPAB had mainstream appeal but Kendrick is a mainstream name and Lupe isn't

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lemme ask u a question. Why didn’t Lupe’s T&Y get the love TPAB got? It executed its concept even better. Why did J Cole’s KOD get shytted on? But DAMN praised? Kendrick is a critic darling my guy. Lol

man it really did

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

T&Y was Lupe’s final album on Atlantic and we ALL KNOW at this point bow Atlantic tried to fukk Lupe’s career over because he wouldn’t renegotiate his contract to make it a 360 deal. They tried damn near everything they could to blackball him and his FANS staged a protest outside of the Atlantic offices and that hacker group Anonymous threatened to leak Atlantic emails if they didn’t let him release Lasers.

Atlantic wasn’t spending not one single CENT on that album beyond releasing it. No videos, no real promo, no nothing. TPAB in contrast, was HIGHLY hyped and promoted. Kendrick pretty much got the full court press when it came to promo. Doesn’t mean its not a classic album or an important album for this generation it just means that the playing field when speaking of both artists at this particular point in time wasn’t level in the SLIGHTEST.

I never said TPAB had mainstream appeal but Kendrick is a mainstream name and Lupe isn't

He’s not a mainstream name NOW but at one point when he was playing ball with Atlantic he definitely was. I can’t BELIEVE that history is being rewritten regarding Lupe’s career when it was not even 15 years ago that the mainstream looked at Lupe almost the EXACT same way they look at Kendrick now. Lupe was called the “savior” of mainstream Hip Hop. The “Chosen One” who would bring balance to the Force after Snap Rap had taken over and a mockery of the genre. Food & Liquor was so heavily anticipated it was bootlegged to a level not seen since Illmatic. Jay-Z co-signed him to the point where he executive produced his album WHILE HE WAS THE PRESIDENT OF DEF JAM. Think about that! A PRESIDENT of a rival label executive producing an artist’s debut album! Nas, who at the time wasn’t praising anyone and declaring Hip Hop Is Dead, said that Lupe was the chosen one and he’s listen to ANYTHING he put out. He had Pharrell and Kanye fawning over him to the point where they formed a group with him and went on a world tour with him. He won a Grammy. He was named GQ Man Of The Year. Did I fukking DREAM all of this:lupe:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Terrace Martin is on a couple tracks. Are you really gonna argue it's as jazz oriented or "left" as TPAB production wise? It's not the same ballpark, sonically. They're different albums entirely production wise.

KOD didn't even get great reviews on this forum, much less from Cole fans. I don't think it's controversial to say his first album was largely panned by fans. Second album was well received by his fans but less so by general rap listeners. FHD was a classic that satisfied everyone. 4YEO was too experimental for many (I liked it overall). And Off Season was very well received by fans.

If Kendrick's hype didn't match the in person love he wouldn't be doing arena tours and on pace to do 400k+ first week most likely. He has a lot of fans, Cole has a lot of fans, Drake has more fans than either. I'd argue Kendrick has clearly made better albums than Cole or Drake and has also taken more risks. GKMC is a classic...does anyone deny that? TPAB has detractors who don't fukk with jazz but it's a classic album that critics fukked with. And most people fukk with DAMN. I don't really see your argument here.
No one disputes GKMC is a classic at this point. Most Kendrick fans I knew in real life ain’t fukk with TPAB heavy like that. And it ain’t cause of the Jazz influence y’all need to cut that shyt. If that was the case the youth wouldn’t have fukked with shyt like 1999 from Joey Badass etc etc. I’m not saying KENDRICK doesn’t get the love. I said that ALBUM gets more love on the internet than I’ve seen from real life Kendrick fans. DAMN was aight. I remember industry tryna get other emcees to speak on that shyt when the hype was up. Even cats like Roc Marci. nikkas would pick certain songs they fukked wit heavy but that’s really it.

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
T&Y was Lupe’s final album on Atlantic and we ALL KNOW at this point bow Atlantic tried to fukk Lupe’s career over because he wouldn’t renegotiate his contract to make it a 360 deal. They tried damn near everything they could to blackball him and his FANS staged a protest outside of the Atlantic offices and that hacker group Anonymous threatened to leak Atlantic emails if they didn’t let him release Lasers.

Atlantic wasn’t spending not one single CENT on that album beyond releasing it. No videos, no real promo, no nothing. TPAB in contrast, was HIGHLY hyped and promoted. Kendrick pretty much got the full court press when it came to promo. Doesn’t mean its not a classic album or an important album for this generation it just means that the playing field when speaking of both artists at this particular point in time wasn’t level in the SLIGHTEST.

He’s not a mainstream name NOW but at one point when he was playing ball with Atlantic he definitely was. I can’t BELIEVE that history is being rewritten regarding Lupe’s career when it was not even 15 years ago that the mainstream looked at Lupe almost the EXACT same way they look at Kendrick now. Lupe was called the “savior” of mainstream Hip Hop. The “Chosen One” who would bring balance to the Force after Snap Rap had taken over and a mockery of the genre. Food & Liquor was so heavily anticipated it was bootlegged to a level not seen since Illmatic. Jay-Z co-signed him to the point where he executive produced his album WHILE HE WAS THE PRESIDENT OF DEF JAM. Think about that! A PRESIDENT of a rival label executive producing an artist’s debut album! Nas, who at the time wasn’t praising anyone and declaring Hip Hop Is Dead, said that Lupe was the chosen one and he’s listen to ANYTHING he put out. He had Pharrell and Kanye fawning over him to the point where they formed a group with him and went on a world tour with him. He won a Grammy. He was named GQ Man Of The Year. Did I fukking DREAM all of this:lupe:

I'm aware of all that. I'm referring to the year 2015, Lupe wasn't even close to being a mainstream name at that point and Kendrick was a star

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Kendrick stans are the worst.:scust:

Everytime this nikka breathe, y’all stumbling all over yourselves to proclaim it “art” and better than everything else.

Almost forgot how insufferable you goofys are :smh:

iLLusoYuN_Da_Adidas_King

Psn illusoyun
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach
See Alright is one of the few songs that from the beginning was a song that many people appreciated. I’m glad u brought that up. That’s a song that everyone I spoke to about the album fukked with. Like I said. What u saying TPAB is. Is what GKMC REALLY was to the streets. Alright is a classic song tho. But don’t forget the plethora of Pac songs that got played over that one during the protests. I love Jazz and Hip Hop fusion. That’s prolly my favorite type of hip hop aesthetic and I’m sorry I’ve just heard this type of shyt done better within the confines of what Kendrick was going for. Beatles isn’t ur type of music. But I fukk with hip hop, that aesthetic, AND Kendrick so I can’t even use that excuse.