Kendrick Lamar is the Kevin Hart of hiphop

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Juvenile? JUVENILE?? You bring up "Ha"? That shyt was abysmal!! The worst lyrical single of all time! You impressed by "You keep your body clean ha?"

And people think Kevin Hart is funny?
Yet it's a classic and everyone was talking about it and reciting it. Were they not? I was impressed cause it was different and creative vs what was going on and i thought it was a great sounding bonafide hit record. Which one of kendrick's singles are really different vs what's going on?

good luck choosing one

Singles from good kid, m.A.A.d city
  1. "The Recipe"
    Released: April 3, 2012
  2. "Swimming Pools (Drank)"
    Released: July 31, 2012
  3. "Backseat Freestyle"
    Released: January 7, 2013
  4. "Poetic Justice"
    Released: January 15, 2013
  5. "bytch, Don't Kill My Vibe"
    Released: March 19, 2013

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Kendrick can spit - and made a cohesive concept album. One filled with amazing songs. I'll admit that his voice took some getting used to when I first heard Section 80. He's not the best rapper of all time. GKMC isn't the greatest album of all time. This is a ridiculous standard to hold him to.
I'm only holding him to the standard overly hyped artist deserve to be held to.

From his bio (
Kendrick Lamar likes to compare himself to Tupac Shakur. But Tupac wasn’t from Los Angeles and didn’t know his father growing up. By the time Tupac was 23, he had already been shot multiple times and begun serving a prison sentence. Lamar, on the other hand, was born and raised in Compton. His parents are still married. He’s 23, and so far he has dodged the almost inescapable bullets that dart through what he calls his “mad city.” Enjoying this Kendrick Lamar Biography? Keep reading!

Even so, Lamar seems to share Tupac’s soul; better still, he seems an evolution of it. The line between “Pac the Playboy” and “Tupac the Tortured Poet” was drawn with an indelible marker, but the sides of Lamar’s personality bleed into one another. The chorus of “P&P” (an ode to “p*ssy and Patron” punctuated by a girl pouting, “Hey, what’s up, daddy”), for example, is cookie-cutter braggadocio. Its first verse, however, stacks a precarious tower of thoughts almost tipped over into rage by an incident at a gas station — and leaves him searching through his phone for a comfort he admits is temporary.)
http://kendricklamar.org/kendrick-lamar-biography/

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Again, do you have proof that Interscope purchased over 500,000 copies of GKMC? How did Interscope do it? Do they send their employees into Best Buys to purchase the album at retail? Do they purchase 500,000+ copies below retail before they are even sent to the retailer? That wouldn't count for RIAA certification would it? Didn't Hov have to change the bulk purchase rule for his Samsung deal?

Most importantly, can you explain how Interscope makes money doing this? Let's say they bought 500,000 copies at $10 each, that's a $5,000,000 investment in Kendrick. They didn't make that back on the other 500,000 copies that were actually moved at retail. So how do they make money? Touring? T-Shirts? That's a lot of fukking t-shirts!
Proof that would hold in court,NO I DONT HAVE PROOF. Just limited info,instinct and intellect.

I do know everywhere i read,it says he signed in 2012 to interscope,yet the WE ALL SEEN the video of one of his underlings saying they signed in 2011. Why would they lie? Maybe they pretended to not be signed,so they could falsely come off as an indie group that was popping. Maybe section 80 was being promoted in every covert way possible by interscope. That's what I believe. They definitely lied,now we have to speculate why. I think my educated guess/assumption makes good sense. I believe alot of these newly signed artists are in 360 deals. In all honesty if i had a record company i'd be only signing people to 360 deals unless i thought they were so special as to where I had to have them on the roster. so I believe touring,merchandise etc is getting split up.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yet it's a classic and everyone was talking about it and reciting it. Were they not? I was impressed cause it was different and creative vs what was going on and i thought it was a great sounding bonafide hit record. Which one of kendrick's singles are really different vs what's going on?

good luck choosing one

Singles from good kid, m.A.A.d city
  1. "The Recipe"
    Released: April 3, 2012
  2. "Swimming Pools (Drank)"
    Released: July 31, 2012
  3. "Backseat Freestyle"
    Released: January 7, 2013
  4. "Poetic Justice"
    Released: January 15, 2013
  5. "bytch, Don't Kill My Vibe"
    Released: March 19, 2013
Different? yes. Creative? No. Awful? Absolutely.

What records by other artists do you think Kendrick's records sound like?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I'm only holding him to the standard overly hyped artist deserve to be held to.

From his bio (
Kendrick Lamar likes to compare himself to Tupac Shakur. But Tupac wasn’t from Los Angeles and didn’t know his father growing up. By the time Tupac was 23, he had already been shot multiple times and begun serving a prison sentence. Lamar, on the other hand, was born and raised in Compton. His parents are still married. He’s 23, and so far he has dodged the almost inescapable bullets that dart through what he calls his “mad city.” Enjoying this Kendrick Lamar Biography? Keep reading!

Even so, Lamar seems to share Tupac’s soul; better still, he seems an evolution of it. The line between “Pac the Playboy” and “Tupac the Tortured Poet” was drawn with an indelible marker, but the sides of Lamar’s personality bleed into one another. The chorus of “P&P” (an ode to “p*ssy and Patron” punctuated by a girl pouting, “Hey, what’s up, daddy”), for example, is cookie-cutter braggadocio. Its first verse, however, stacks a precarious tower of thoughts almost tipped over into rage by an incident at a gas station — and leaves him searching through his phone for a comfort he admits is temporary.)
http://kendricklamar.org/kendrick-lamar-biography/
So if he's not as good as Pac, then he's wack to you?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Proof that would hold in court,NO I DONT HAVE PROOF. Just limited info,instinct and intellect.

I do know everywhere i read,it says he signed in 2012 to interscope,yet the WE ALL SEEN the video of one of his underlings saying they signed in 2011. Why would they lie? Maybe they pretended to not be signed,so they could falsely come off as an indie group that was popping. Maybe section 80 was being promoted in every covert way possible by interscope. That's what I believe. They definitely lied,now we have to speculate why. I think my educated guess/assumption makes good sense. I believe alot of these newly signed artists are in 360 deals. In all honesty if i had a record company i'd be only signing people to 360 deals unless i thought they were so special as to where I had to have them on the roster. so I believe touring,merchandise etc is getting split up.
What limited info? Sounds to me like you're just talking out your ass. Let me know if there is a shred of proof to support your claim that Interscope bought a majority of the over 1 million sold copies of GKMC. Also - let me know how that makes financial sense.

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
You murked the Kevin Hart portion, but nothing you said convinced me of Kdot. What you left out is Kendrick actually has a Classic(GKMC) or at least something so memorable, that kids in future gonna rediscover that shyt. Kevin Hart :comeon:

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
Fam... you really goin on a 7 page rant to persuade people Kendrick is wack ?

you think your opinion is that important bro ?

Aint nobody gonna go ''oh that nikkas thread is right, well all kendricks music to the trash bin'' ol crab in a bucket ass nikka..

People like both of em, people hate both of them.. Who cares, find something better to do bro..

7 Billion people on planet earth, the world is NOT going to stop cause you feel someway bout them dudes...

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The fact u had nikkas dumbin DOWN not so long ago thinking that was the way to go....seeing dudes like Wale with actual concepts,kendrick who's a spitter with substance,j cole,drake who are taking themselves serious as artist and trying to get better lyrically at the forefront having success,I'm just sayin its a step in the right direction versus the wrong direction:manny:

I actually like Kendrick more than I did last yr when I really thought that nikka and gkmc wuz overated:heh:...any pac,snoop,kurup comparisons yes are retarded

yup. Now, you got these lyrical dudes outselling the likes of Future, Waka, and French and they don't even have to dominate the clubs nowadays.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You murked the Kevin Hart portion, but nothing you said convinced me of Kdot. What you left out is Kendrick actually has a Classic(GKMC) or at least something so memorable, that kids in future gonna rediscover that shyt. Kevin Hart :comeon:
if i thought it was that good or impactful,i'd included it

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Fam... you really goin on a 7 page rant to persuade people Kendrick is wack ?

you think your opinion is that important bro ?

Aint nobody gonna go ''oh that nikkas thread is right, well all kendricks music to the trash bin'' ol crab in a bucket ass nikka..

People like both of em, people hate both of them.. Who cares, find something better to do bro..

7 Billion people on planet earth, the world is NOT going to stop cause you feel someway bout them dudes...
and i'm not gonna stop cause you feel your way

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
A large part of what makes albums classics are the context of their time period. We have no idea about how the album will be recognized years from now, but GKMC does have many of the traits of a classic album. Mainly, critical acclaim/huge accolades when it came out, sales (if I'm not mistaken, the only rap record to sell more than GKMC in 2012 was Nicki Minaj's album - that says a lot), and the foundation for him to become a star after it dropped. Plus, I think the influence of the album is already taking its toll, because many albums that have dropped since then that likely would have been critically praised - Dreams & Nightmares and MCHG, for example - have sort of came and went because fans are expecting more.

I do admit that it didn't have individual songs that were as BIG as some classic albums; ie, doesn't have a Protect Ya Neck or a Juicy. But the album still has made much of the impact that a classic consists of. Plus, as a rapper, Kendrick is well-rounded. Punchlines/wordplay are probably the only weaknesses in his repertoire. He has shyt-talking songs, he has storytelling songs, he can hop on commercial songs and fit in well, his flow is on point, his imagery is strong. Honestly, punchlines aren't even a necessary skill for him. That's like saying Peyton Manning is weak because he isn't a good blocker.

It amazes me that people on here try to say he isn't shyt - like GKMC didn't have one of the strongest full-length narratives on a rap album in years, like he isn't able to insert fully-developed characters in his music, like he isn't able to cover various topics with incredible depth. Just about everyone who blows up big way in hip-hop has a big push behind them in one way or another. But people who aren't talented get huge pushes, too. The defining factor usually talent when it comes to who sticks around. Hasn't been a long time yet, but with Section.80 and GKMC, IMO, Kendrick is showing that he'll stick around. It really feels like people who hate on him at this point are being contrarian; I wonder if they were saying those things when GKMC actually dropped.

I think a better comparison is LeBron James, before he won his first championship. He's definitely putting up MVP numbers, even if he hasn't gotten a ring yet.

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
A large part of what makes albums classics are the context of their time period. We have no idea about how the album will be recognized years from now, but GKMC does have many of the traits of a classic album. Mainly, critical acclaim/huge accolades when it came out, sales (if I'm not mistaken, the only rap record to sell more than GKMC in 2012 was Nicki Minaj's album - that says a lot), and the foundation for him to become a star after it dropped. Plus, I think the influence of the album is already taking its toll, because many albums that have dropped since then that likely would have been critically praised - Dreams & Nightmares and MCHG, for example - have sort of came and went because fans are expecting more.

I do admit that it didn't have individual songs that were as BIG as some classic albums; ie, doesn't have a Protect Ya Neck or a Juicy. But the album still has made much of the impact that a classic consists of. Plus, as a rapper, Kendrick is well-rounded. Punchlines/wordplay are probably the only weaknesses in his repertoire. He has shyt-talking songs, he has storytelling songs, he can hop on commercial songs and fit in well, his flow is on point, his imagery is strong. Honestly, punchlines aren't even a necessary skill for him. That's like saying Peyton Manning is weak because he isn't a good blocker.

It amazes me that people on here try to say he isn't shyt - like GKMC didn't have one of the strongest full-length narratives on a rap album in years, like he isn't able to insert fully-developed characters in his music, like he isn't able to cover various topics with incredible depth. Just about everyone who blows up big way in hip-hop has a big push behind them in one way or another. But people who aren't talented get huge pushes, too. The defining factor usually talent when it comes to who sticks around. Hasn't been a long time yet, but with Section.80 and GKMC, Kendrick is showing that he'll stick around. It really feels like people who do so are being contrarian; I wonder if they were saying those things when GKMC actually dropped.

I think a better comparison is LeBron James, before he won his first championship. He's definitely putting up MVP numbers, even if he hasn't gotten a ring yet.
post a song where he covers a topic with incredible depth and is as powerful as a BRENDA'S GOT A BABY,black girl lost, etc