Kendrick Lamar doing the SuperBowl Halftime show

Nuuko

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay and a team make a shortlist. Submit to the NFL for approval. The NFL approves and sends the list to the host city to ultimately make a selection.

So Jay doesn’t have final say but is part of who makes the shortlist for consideration. Once the artist is selected Jay produces the show and in the case of the Rihanna performance he directed it, which actually won him an Emmy award for Outstanding Directing of Variety Special.

So i’m guestimating that Jay will at the very least serve as a producer for Kendrick Lamar performance, Dave Free will more than likely direct,
Correct, pg lang confirmed as director of the show

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
The Super Bowl is a corporate event. The folks attending don’t give a shyt about Kevin Gates or Big Freedia or the Big 6 Brass Band
The funny thing is the Big 6 Brass Band could actually be on that stage and nobody would have an issue with it. The Superbowl tends to have marching bands all the time so if they were there to do the music for whoever (Kendrick included) then that's par for the course.

But correct. Rap fans always look for concerts as an excuse or a way to put someone on when the Superbowl isn't the venue for that. For an awards show, cool. For a festival, cool. The Superbowl is supposed to be bulletproof in terms of what the world (most of it anyway) is gonna wanna hear. Too many people are praying that Kendrick does a condensed version of the Pop Out or if it was Wayne, a glossier more realized version of what Essence Fest was supposed to be.

I almost can't wait for next year's Superbowl just cuz nobody's gonna pretend Too $hort should be headlining.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
The funny thing is the Big 6 Brass Band could actually be on that stage and nobody would have an issue with it. The Superbowl tends to have marching bands all the time so if they were there to do the music for whoever (Kendrick included) then that's par for the course.

But correct. Rap fans always look for concerts as an excuse or a way to put someone on when the Superbowl isn't the venue for that. For an awards show, cool. For a festival, cool. The Superbowl is supposed to be bulletproof in terms of what the world (most of it anyway) is gonna wanna hear. Too many people are praying that Kendrick does a condensed version of the Pop Out or if it was Wayne, a glossier more realized version of what Essence Fest was supposed to be.

I almost can't wait for next year's Superbowl just cuz nobody's gonna pretend Too $hort should be headlining.
Guarantee you E-40 will be there

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Jay and a team make a shortlist. Submit to the NFL for approval. The NFL approves and sends the list to the host city to ultimately make a selection.

So Jay doesn’t have final say but is part of who makes the shortlist for consideration. Once the artist is selected Jay produces the show and in the case of the Rihanna performance he directed it, which actually won him an Emmy award for Outstanding Directing of Variety Special.

So i’m guestimating that Jay will at the very least serve as a producer for Kendrick Lamar performance, Dave Free will more than likely direct,
In other words, Hov to the Superbowl is 9th Wonder/MC Lyte to Best Rap Album

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Do you think JayZ could have a strong influence on the choice, even to the host city as well?

Obviously the host city decides but that Jay could sway them a bit?

It's possible he could sway them but given the fact he didn't want 50, who performed anyway, should be a big ass clue he doesn't have the pull people are saying he does.

Not only that, this whole "Jay picked Kendrick due to his (Jay's) proxy war with Drake, Wayne was just a casualty of that" angle is :dahell: because they haven't had beef in years. Jay and Drake were just at Michael Rubins party like two months ago.

Fred.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They should go back to pop artists imo. Rap nikkas too corny these days. Too much conflict within the industry. Or get someone like Busta or Missy.

i do think they've done a good job of rotating between rap/pop while still leaning into more culturally relevant acts overall. honestly... i think they could easily cut rap out of that equation (save for legacy acts like dre/eminem) and still deliver the same cultural cache.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Im cool wit Kendrick getting the Bowl Halftime, but it is crazy he got it before Drake if we being real.

I cant see him wanting to ever do it now tho..lol boy this nygga got sonned this year by everybody.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
I'm surprised Jay Z never performed at the Superbowl even though he is in charge now :jbhmm:

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
Dre was the headliner. Wayne would be the headliner.

What do you think a Lil Wayne featuring Drake, Nicki, juvenile and big tymers tour would do, realistically?

There’s no argument that’s valid bro. The only thing we can say is that Wayne is not physically able to perform at the required level due to alleged addictions or he is just too unprofessional to be relied upon.
For a Super Bowl, there's just better options.. The Super Bowl is not a hip hop halftime show..

It's global with hundreds of millions watching with a large segment of the audience but giving a fukk about rap..

And for marketing purposes, Drake would have to be the headliner for that show to work..

This is big business and in 2024, there's no world in which I'm calling Wayne to headline a super bowl show over Kendrick, Drake, and a maybe a few others..

Hell this is the first time a rap act has headlined solo and it took one of the biggest artists ever with a record breaking song out to do it..

We're not talking about Summer Jam, this is the super bowl lol