Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
1). The music sounded better in the context of the theatrics of the listening event than it does as a stand alone album. This is more than likely going to be one of those albums that when he tours live will be an incredible show. But as a straight up and down listening experience there is much to be desired.

2). Kanye shot himself in the foot with having too many songs. The "Part 2" bullshyt to the end the album gives it an unfinished, meandering feeling. TLOP didn't even feel all THAT disjointed in comparison and Kanye released it in a similarly rushed manner. Still it FELT and listened like an album. Donda sounds like a manic playlist.
Even after the album dropped, it was mostly people were praising it. It wasn’t until later that evening and the following day when most of the comments were trashing it and even posting the reviews coming in from white media outlets. Lately, the comments haven’t even been about the album anymore.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
"Instead of focusing on “Donda” as an album, or a playlist version of an album, it’s helpful to think of it more like theater, an iterative affair that evolves a little each time you encounter it. In the last few weeks, it has gone from regional company to Off Broadway to the Great White Way — each stop on that journey matters."

Kanye West’s ‘Donda’ Era, on a Chaotic Stage

This is probably the overall fairest sentiment towards Kanye's mind state when making the album. Performance Art is more important to him than just "merely" making music. I'd argue that Childish Gambino has done a better job mastering that overall philosophy. But Kanye at the very least will always manage to make the journey something fascinating.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
This is the most overly-simplified, reductionist comment in this thread. You think Kanye does the shyt he does for sales???? Have you watched his Joe Rogan interview, or the Zane Lowe interview he did a couple years back? He talks about the idea that he would ever do anything for the money, in summary, he's got so much money why the hell would he do something he doesn't believe in just for some money? What about Kanye's career/life outside of music makes you think he does ANYTHING other than what he feels passionately about? You can hate on him all you want but the guy is driven by any number of things before money, especially when you are talking what, a few million off album sales?

Kanye having people like Manson, DaBaby (and hypothetically Trump) on stage with him is to send a shot at "cancel culture", its a social criticism. The dude has been outspoken against cancel culture for the past few years, if you cant put two and two together than I don't know what to say.

He is using his platform to defy the plague of political correctness and mob mentality that dominates our society. Kanye has always been one to think for himself, the whole Trump thing was a way of saying "who the hell are you to tell me that just because I'm black I should only vote democrat? I'm an INDIVIDUAL, f*** your identity politics!"
What does fame have to do with money :dahell:

Breh he’s been doing this since 2003.

From wearing pink, to walking around with 10 dudes with black suits for 6 months straight, to bagging Amber Rose, being on the cast of Kardashian, to running up at award shows, to trolling on twitter, to running around, to collaborating with all the pop stars and whether the fukk, acting crazy around paparazzi, talking greasy in smack dvd, screaming at Sway, saying Jay and Beyoncé has assassins to kill him

I supremely fukk with Kanye, but that doesn’t mean that I’m foolish enough to play into all of his mad genius fukkery. Some of it is just that.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
That Teyana album was the best R&B album that year. Kanye the GOAT R&B producer (okay, not really but he's up there). That Nas thing was dumb. Ye tried to do that 1 album per week nonsense but there were interesting things that came out of that. I still liked it.

I personally don't mind the album updates after release. He sort of discovered something there. With streaming, the music you put out doesn't need to be the final product. You can still make changes. I remember he updated one of the 808 tracks this way like 5 years after release date. He thinks outside the box. Sometimes for the better sometimes it's for the worse but I like that he goes for it.
good point. if Kanye did more R&B these days i'm sure his rep would be a lot better

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Even after the album dropped, it was mostly people were praising it. It wasn’t until later that evening and the following day when most of the comments were trashing it and even posting the reviews coming in from white media outlets. Lately, the comments haven’t even been about the album anymore.

Not sure what point is being made here. Sounds to me that the people that took the time to give the album a few spins before posting a reactionary opinion to it don't care for the album. I am one of those people. I didn't listen to any of the listening sessions, starting listening to the album Sunday evening, didn't give my reaction to the album until yesterday after multiple listens.

Daps
Love the album, I do agree with the criticism that it’s a little long winded. Other then that, this will hold me over till a Kendrick album drops, hopefully soon.