Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s the case for everyone who moves units,

I wouldn’t put it past Kanye. He’d most likely do anything for fame and sales but that’s cac MTO
This is the most overly-simplified, reductionist comment in this thread. You think Kanye does the shyt he does for sales???? Have you watched his Joe Rogan interview, or the Zane Lowe interview he did a couple years back? He talks about the idea that he would ever do anything for the money, in summary, he's got so much money why the hell would he do something he doesn't believe in just for some money? What about Kanye's career/life outside of music makes you think he does ANYTHING other than what he feels passionately about? You can hate on him all you want but the guy is driven by any number of things before money, especially when you are talking what, a few million off album sales?

Kanye having people like Manson, DaBaby (and hypothetically Trump) on stage with him is to send a shot at "cancel culture", its a social criticism. The dude has been outspoken against cancel culture for the past few years, if you cant put two and two together than I don't know what to say.

He is using his platform to defy the plague of political correctness and mob mentality that dominates our society. Kanye has always been one to think for himself, the whole Trump thing was a way of saying "who the hell are you to tell me that just because I'm black I should only vote democrat? I'm an INDIVIDUAL, f*** your identity politics!"

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
That Teyana album was the best R&B album that year. Kanye the GOAT R&B producer (okay, not really but he's up there). That Nas thing was dumb. Ye tried to do that 1 album per week nonsense but there were interesting things that came out of that. I still liked it.

I personally don't mind the album updates after release. He sort of discovered something there. With streaming, the music you put out doesn't need to be the final product. You can still make changes. I remember he updated one of the 808 tracks this way like 5 years after release date. He thinks outside the box. Sometimes for the better sometimes it's for the worse but I like that he goes for it.
It doesn’t matter how good YOU personally think the album is. I thought it was dope as well. He did HER wrong by fukking up her vision and not letting her know it was dropping. Switching beats and putting out shyt she didn’t even personally finish. All of this with ZERO transparency with the artist is a bad look no matter how much of a fan u are and how much u like the product. As far as Nas. Nas went out of his way and flew to Wyoming for dude. Dude has him rap over some bullshyt that wasn’t finished and then put his rhymes on beats he didn’t even rap over. He had only 2 days to record it and the album wasn’t finished or mixed by the time it was supposed to release. He stole the album cover from other artists and stole 2 beats. That’s foul to even put an artist like Nas in that type of position.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
It doesn’t matter how good YOU personally think the album is. I thought it was dope as well. He did HER wrong by fukking up her vision and not letting her know it was dropping. Switching beats and putting out shyt she didn’t even personally finish. All of this with ZERO transparency with the artist is a bad look no matter how much of a fan u are and how much u like the product. As far as Nas. Nas went out of his way and flew to Wyoming for dude. Dude has him rap over some bullshyt that wasn’t finished and then put his rhymes on beats he didn’t even rap over. He had only 2 days to record it and the album wasn’t finished or mixed by the time it was supposed to release. He stole the album cover from other artists and stole 2 beats. That’s foul to even put an artist like Nas in that type of position.

I hear ya. As a listener, I only care about the final product. I didn't know that they had issues until now but :yeshrug:.
I get that Ye probably went about it wrong but if you know actual successful busy people, they don't have time and just move with or without you pushing out deliveries. Ye promised an album a week and he crushed a bunch of eggs along the way to serve omelettes. That's harsh but he had to do what he had to do to get it out there. I saw it all as part of a larger performance art.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I hear ya. As a listener, I only care about the final product. I didn't know that they had issues until now but :yeshrug:.
I get that Ye probably went about it wrong but if you know actual successful busy people, they don't have time and just move with or without you pushing out deliveries. Ye promised an album a week and he crushed a bunch of eggs along the way to serve omelettes. That's harsh but he had to do what he had to do to get it out there. I saw it all as part of a larger performance art.
Bruh. U can’t do what u wanna do regardless of how it effects people. That’s not how the world works. Lol

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I said this some pages back, but it’s just weird how the energy shifted in this thread from the time of the last listening event (when I first posted in this thread) to now. There’s was mostly praise then and when the album dropped. Now most of the comments are saying it’s mediocre/wack. Furthermore, I still don’t know why people who don’t even like Kanye click on the thread just to say how they’re not listening to it. I’ve never heard a Drake album in my life (not my thing), and you won’t find me in any of Drake’s album threads.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I said this some pages back, but it’s just weird how the energy shifted in this thread from the time of the last listening event (when I first posted in this thread) to now. There’s was mostly praise then and when the album dropped. Now most of the comments are saying it’s mediocre/wack. Furthermore, I still don’t know why people who don’t even like Kanye click on the thread just to say how they’re not listening to it. I’ve never heard a Drake album in my life (not my thing), and you won’t find me in any of Drake’s album threads.

1). The music sounded better in the context of the theatrics of the listening event than it does as a stand alone album. This is more than likely going to be one of those albums that when he tours live will be an incredible show. But as a straight up and down listening experience there is much to be desired.

2). Kanye shot himself in the foot with having too many songs. The "Part 2" bullshyt to the end the album gives it an unfinished, meandering feeling. TLOP didn't even feel all THAT disjointed in comparison and Kanye released it in a similarly rushed manner. Still it FELT and listened like an album. Donda sounds like a manic playlist.