Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
You're moving goalposts now. If you pull up those TMZ threads and the slavery shyt, I was saying he was fukking up while that was happening. I chalked that up as him literally having a mental breakdown episode in front of us. Others were saying it was all and act, and I'm like... clearly this nikka is mentally ill.

And no, when it comes to art, genius isn't right or "genius" all the time. That's the most ridiculous claim I've ever heard of, especially when the term, "Ahead of it's time" exists.

Not moving goalposts at all, if we're gonna talk about his marketing we gotta look at the good and the bad, not just the good.

As for the genius convo, we just have different ideas on genius then. The idea of any person being a genius is a myth to me - when you call someone a genius, you are putting them on a level above everyone else which holds us all back - but Kanye first and foremost. It's this genius talk that fed Kanye's delusions and narcissism about himself and led to a lot of his late-era career of sloppy, self-indulgent albums and numerous moments of looking like an idiot. Now don't get me wrong, people can have genius ideas, create genius art/inventions, etc. (I like "brilliant ideas/brilliant art" better, but we'll rock with genius for the sake of the convo) but when you put one person above everyone else by calling them a genius it tells people not to work hard. Cuz they'll always have in their head "But it doesn't matter if I work hard cuz some genius will just come along and do it better than me" which is debilitating to society IMO.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not moving goalposts at all, if we're gonna talk about his marketing we gotta look at the good and the bad, not just the good.
Yeah man, lets talk about the good and the bad. The rants and episodes on TMZ and the MAGA hat don't outweigh this...
Kanye West is now reportedly worth $6.6 billion thanks to his Yeezy brand's apparel and footwear deals, making him the richest Black American in history

:mjlol:
C'mon breh, that news dropped this year btw, years AFTER the fukkery we're talking about.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
the songs from the listening sessions have curses from the guests as well as kanye using the N word multiple times.
"officially released"
Anything on streaming services doesn't tho, which is intentional by him.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
TLOP was a funny one with me. I really loved like half of it when it dropped and not the other half. But it's aged well for me and I dig it a lot.

Real Friends, 30 Hours, No More Parties, St. Pablo, Famous, and Wolves all get burn from me.
TLOP was his last truly great solo album imo

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Yeah man, lets talk about the good and the bad. The rants and episodes on TMZ and the MAGA hat don't outweigh this...
Kanye West is now reportedly worth $6.6 billion thanks to his Yeezy brand's apparel and footwear deals, making him the richest Black American in history

:mjlol:
C'mon breh, that news dropped this year btw, years AFTER the fukkery we're talking about.

Look, I'm willing to call him a lot of things - wildly successful, highly creative, a hip-hop legend, an icon, influential, artistically brilliant in the past, etc. - but a genius is a step too far.

Actually the only thing that I think really makes Kanye a genius is convincing a bunch of people to call him a genius. That actually might really make him a genius lol.

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
He stood on his late mother’s porch with Manson, sang with him, openly mocking those women who were brave enough to come forward. Critics often have to remind themselves to review the music, not to get caught up in the hyperbole or controversy surrounding the artist. But by involving Manson, West has made this impossible. Donda leaves a sour taste that no number of good beats, gospel choirs or church organs will cleanse. Zero stars.”

Marilyn Manson overshadows everything about Kanye West’s Donda – review

They BIG MAD about him fukking with Marilyn Manson. That was a dumb ass decision…

This is the first ZERO STAR review they’ve given in 5 years:damn:

If this is how we are going to play I want these publication to go back and review and re-review all these albums from a list of about 150 artists and bands I can think of off the top of my head and do the same thing to them. Show me that you really have integrity

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
DONDA WEST IN HEAVEN
pray-lord.gif

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland

As for the genius convo, we just have different ideas on genius then. The idea of any person being a genius is a myth to me - when you call someone a genius, you are putting them on a level above everyone else which holds us all back - but Kanye first and foremost. It's this genius talk that fed Kanye's delusions and narcissism about himself and led to a lot of his late-era career of sloppy, self-indulgent albums and numerous moments of looking like an idiot. Now don't get me wrong, people can have genius ideas, create genius art/inventions, etc. (I like "brilliant ideas/brilliant art" better, but we'll rock with genius for the sake of the convo) but when you put one person above everyone else by calling them a genius it tells people not to work hard. Cuz they'll always have in their head "But it doesn't matter if I work hard cuz some genius will just come along and do it better than me" which is debilitating to society IMO.

Do you have this stance whenever they call Eminem a genius?