Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I feel like Kanye stans call him a genius just because he calls himself a genius lol. And he only started calling himself a genius after the press started calling him a genius. Correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't calling himself a genius around The College Dropout - he was just a dope ass artist letting his work speak for itself. This "Kanye is a genius" narrative is such an echo chamber lol. Why don't you hear this shyt with other artists? Even the greatest rappers to ever live, like Nas, Pac and Jay, I never hear this genius talk. I've heard they are legends, icons, released masterpieces, but only Kanye gets this genius reverence. Why is that?

I blame Jay for calling this dude a genius of The Black Album, shyt went to Ye's head and he never looked back. Although I get it, if Jay-Z called me a genius it would prolly go to my head too.

Maybe this is a convo for another time but the idea of the genius is kind of a myth anyway. Are there brilliant people out there capable of creating genius art, genius ideas, genius inventions, etc.? Yes, of course - we see it all around us. But for someone to be a full-stop genius, literally every thought they have to be a brilliant, world-changing idea, which is impossible. So if Kanye was a genius he isn't anymore because he hasn't really put out a completely brilliant album since MBDTF.
Kanye just sold out football arenas for a listening party.

Regardless of how you feel about the music, he is a marketing genius, and if you deny that, you're ignorant. Look at how much hype he generates around everything he touches, stemming from music to fashion.

Look at what Gap's stock price did after the Ye collaboration was announced. You nikkas be trying way too hard to sound out of touch as fukk

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Simple..Kanye is great at creating controversy, marketing, fashion and makes timeless music.

He transcends what a "rapper" is..Hes litterally a brand.

How is that not "genius"?

Have you seen his sneaker sketches and designs he creates for items?

This album is garbage but the narrative that Kanye isnt genius is just hate

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:I can't tell if you are fukking with me or not.

"This album is some hot trash bullshyt but this dude is still a genius!" :mindblown:

And yeah I've seen the Yeezys that look like Asian dumplings lol. Genius!

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
A lot of hip-hop artists got multiple classics. Why does this genius shyt only come up with Kanye? Cuz he told y'all he was a genius lol.
Jumpin into yall convo, I think there’s multiple geniuses in the genre, Ye is one of em

but Ye’s genius goes beyond music, shyt he’s done in fashion really crazy as a black man. They don’t wanna let you in, and he’s killing it

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I didn't even know you could share a from youtube here and not have it embedded. Did you purposely un-embed it just to eat up more of my time?
:dead:

I mean I like new Kanye, so I don't really get it. :yeshrug: I liked TLOP, Daytona, Kids See Ghosts, and I like about half of Donda. I'm happy with that. I do like old Kanye too. But new Kanye is fine also.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I have no problem with your point now, and I don't even disagree with it man. But your initial comparison to Musk and Jobs was not well explained at all and is still not the best analogy.
That analogy is trash I don’t care how anyone explains it. Shouldn’t even be comparing music artists to cats like that.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man fukk outta here. Lol.
You just sound like a hater. I'm not even a huge Kanye fan but can atleast acknowledge the dude is a damn genius. His production alone says it all. When you factor in multiple classic albums it becomes obvious dude is just different. There's a reason he has a cult following and it's because his work stands out that much. He's one of the greatest producers of all time and he happens to have multiple classics under his belt. Dude is clearly one of the most talented rap artist of all time and it's not up for debate like I said.

Organic Trees

Go Cavs! #LetEmKnow
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland born & raised

Regardless of how you feel about the music, he is a marketing genius, and if you deny that, you're ignorant. Look at how much hype he generates around everything he touches, stemming from music to fashion.

Look at what Gap's stock price did after the Ye collaboration was announced. You nikkas be trying way too hard to sound out of touch as fukk
It’s personal for many when it comes to him.

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
I didn't even know you could share a from youtube here and not have it embedded. Did you purposely un-embed it just to eat up more of my time?
:dead:

I mean I like new Kanye, so I don't really get it. :yeshrug: I liked TLOP, Daytona, Kids See Ghosts, and I like about half of Donda. I'm happy with that. I do like old Kanye too. But new Kanye is fine also.

Look how weak your argument has got.

So, we agree...Kanye is a genius, right?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You just sound like a hater. I'm not even a huge Kanye fan but can atleast acknowledge the dude is a damn genius. His production alone says it all. When you factor in multiple classic albums it becomes obvious dude is just different. There's a reason he has a cult following and it's because his work stands out that much. He's one of the greatest producers of all time and he happens to have multiple classics under his belt. Dude is clearly one of the most talented rap artist of all time and it's not up for debate like I said.
Yea I’m a hater. fukk ALL the way outta here fam I know too much music to let somebody pull this bullshyt with me. Lol. If u think that mentally ill nikka is a genius than do u bruh.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of hip-hop artists got multiple classics. Why does this genius shyt only come up with Kanye? Cuz he told y'all he was a genius lol.
Because kanye produces his own shyt with his own vision. That's the difference. He crafts his own sounds and produces his own shyt. Most rappers aren't doing that and when they do (cole, krit) it's not touching the quality of kanye shyt. That's the difference.

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
Yea I’m a hater. fukk ALL the way outta here fam I know too much music to let somebody pull this bullshyt with me. Lol. If u think that mentally ill nikka is a genius than do u bruh.

Wow...relax..

Seems like all the people that want to say that Kanye isnt a Genius are emotionally vested in him and are heart broken by him somehow..

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps

He knows how to get people talking and get attention on him, I'll give him that. But is getting all that attention through his marketing all positive though? Look at his TMZ appearance, was that genius marketing? Was all his Trump shyt genius marketing? No. No these were fukking trainwrecks for him. Linking up with Marilyn Manson seems to be another trainwreck that is gonna get him zero star reviews. For a person to be a genius, they gotta be a genius all the time IMO. We've seen Kanye do brilliant shyt for sure - but genius puts him on a pedestal above everybody else, like he's some kind of superhuman, and I'm sorry but I'm not seeing it.