Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
That's a different argument than the one I replied to though. Like @spliz said, it's a false equivalence.

Also it'a not true that he was never a rapper or full time producer. I sat with him in a studio in 2002 while he wrote his own verses and hooks. He may have had help early in his career, and I know Rhymefest wrote Jesus Walks and Evidence produced Last Call, etc. There were definitely instances like these, but he took his craft very seriously in terms of making sure that a lot of what people heard was by his own hand.

Thanks for proving my point..

He created an iconic sound, vibe of his own establishing his brand.

Just like Jobs and Musk had an early vision and created brands.

Kanye is a genius for what he was able to create and accomplish.

Im seriously not understanding why you are trying to discredit the "genius" shyt that he has done.

Seems like you are emotionally vested in the fact that you miss the "old Kanye".....

Didnt Kanye make a song for people like you on TLOP?

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
I feel like Kanye stans call him a genius just because he calls himself a genius lol. And he only started calling himself a genius after the press started calling him a genius. Correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't calling himself a genius around The College Dropout - he was just a dope ass artist letting his work speak for itself. This "Kanye is a genius" narrative is such an echo chamber lol. Why don't you hear this shyt with other artists? Even the greatest rappers to ever live, like Nas, Pac and Jay, I never hear this genius talk. I've heard they are legends, icons, released masterpieces, but only Kanye gets this genius reverence. Why is that?

I blame Jay for calling this dude a genius of The Black Album, shyt went to Ye's head and he never looked back. Although I get it, if Jay-Z called me a genius it would prolly go to my head too.

Maybe this is a convo for another time but the idea of the genius is kind of a myth anyway. Are there brilliant people out there capable of creating genius art, genius ideas, genius inventions, etc.? Yes, of course - we see it all around us. But for someone to be a full-stop genius, literally every thought they have would have to be a brilliant, revolutionary, world-changing idea, which is impossible. So if Kanye was a genius he isn't anymore because he hasn't really put out a completely brilliant album since MBDTF.

Last edited:

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s literally IMPOSSIBLE for them nikkas to really do what they do on a large scale by themselves. Like. Son no. It’s so many variables. The shyt they are doing requires ALOT of moving parts out of their solo grasp especially when they getting to the point of providing and distributing. Kanye. Is an artist. And don’t talk about that never said he was trying to be this or that cause at one point that nikka was trying to run and want people to say he on Jay and Wayne level rap wise. Knowing he ain’t been writing his shyt like that since the beginning. Kanye is enlisting 20 people to do a beat that 1 person can make and make better. Lol. That’s not genius. Kanye enlisting 20 people to write a rhyme that one person can make and make better. That’s not a genius. It’s not ironic that when dude had a focused team and he was locking himself down making beats and being hands on the product turned out better. This HIP HOP brodie. Ya man started believing his own hype and people need to stop calling this muthafukka a genius and call a spade a spade unless u ain’t gonna get no quality shyt from him ever again. What is he a genius at? His sequencing is trash. His compositions skills are all over the place. He don’t even get his shyt mixed and mastered right. What is he a genius at? Lol
Bruh stop. Kanye is the clearest example of a genius we've seen in modern arts in a while. It's not even up for debate. Like are you serious right now? He's released multiple classics and is accomplished as a producer and artist. Doesn't matter if he's sitting down and crafting beats or not...his vision is what makes him.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Thanks for proving my point..

He created an iconic sound, vibe of his own establishing his brand.

Just like Jobs and Musk had an early vision and created brands.

Kanye is a genius for what he was able to create and accomplish.

Im seriously not understanding why you are trying to discredit the "genius" shyt that he has done.

Seems like you are emotionally vested in the fact that you miss the "old Kanye".....

Didnt Kanye make a song for people like you on TLOP?
I have no problem with your point now, and I don't even disagree with it man. But your initial comparison to Musk and Jobs was not well explained at all and is still not the best analogy.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Bruh stop. Kanye is the clearest example of a genius we've seen in modern arts. It's not even up for debate. Like are you serious right now? He's released multiple classics and is accomplished as a producer and artist. Doesn't matter if he's sitting down and crafting beats or not...his vision is what makes him.

A lot of hip-hop artists got multiple classics. Why does this genius shyt only come up with Kanye? Cuz he told y'all he was a genius lol.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Bruh stop. Kanye is the clearest example of a genius we've seen in modern arts in a while. It's not even up for debate. Like are you serious right now? He's released multiple classics and is accomplished as a producer and artist. Doesn't matter if he's sitting down and crafting beats or not...his vision is what makes him.
Man fukk outta here. Lol.

KillbertArenas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
PG - Maryland
I feel like Kanye stans call him a genius just because he calls himself a genius lol. And he only started calling himself a genius after the press started calling him a genius. Correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't calling himself a genius around The College Dropout - he was just a dope ass artist letting his work speak for itself. This "Kanye is a genius" narrative is such an echo chamber lol. Why don't you hear this shyt with other artists? Even the greatest rappers to ever live, like Nas, Pac and Jay, I never hear this genius talk. I've heard they are legends, icons, released masterpieces, but only Kanye gets this genius reverence. Why is that?

I blame Jay for calling this dude a genius of The Black Album, shyt went to Ye's head and he never looked back. Although I get it, if Jay-Z called me a genius it would prolly go to my head too.

Maybe this is a convo for another time but the idea of the genius is kind of a myth anyway. Are there brilliant people out there capable of creating genius art, genius ideas, genius inventions, etc.? Yes, of course - we see it all around us. But for someone to be a full-stop genius, literally every thought they have to be a brilliant, world-changing idea, which is impossible. So if Kanye was a genius he isn't anymore because he hasn't really put out a completely brilliant album since MBDTF.

Simple..Kanye is great at creating controversy, marketing, fashion and makes timeless music.

He transcends what a "rapper" is..Hes litterally a brand.

How is that not "genius"?

Have you seen his sneaker sketches and designs he creates for items?

This album is garbage but the narrative that Kanye isnt genius is just hate

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
the relatable easily understandable ye is gone for good

but for me this resonated on a personal level

it sounds like what it sounds like when you are in the inner.world praying for your life

everything is very musical in that state

"come to life" sounds like an experience i had where my mother/father just had to hold me & pray with everything they had

this is everything ye's mother/father/family invested in him

this is how he is fighting to conquer his inner.world

i get it

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
A lot of hip-hop artists got multiple classics. Why does this genius shyt only come up with Kanye? Cuz he told y'all he was a genius lol.
You can absolutely speak stuff into existence. Edit: Also, him being a producer helps.

Also, I think Kanye was a genius, and maybe still is. But I also think for supremely creative types, they do have a prime window like athletes do. For the most part. It's not a 1 to 1 comparison, and it's much easier to make great art later into your career than to have top notch athletic performance later in your career. But I do think people should be more realistic about what they can expect from supremely creative individuals after they've reached double digit years of dropping nothing but amazing work.

People can't do that forever. Even the best ones. It's not a realistic expectation.

If Kanye only dropped average music for the rest of his career, he's still one of the all time greats in any genre.

• Dap
Reactions: ADP