Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
It’s literally IMPOSSIBLE for them nikkas to really do what they do on a large scale by themselves. Like. Son no. It’s so many variables. The shyt they are doing requires ALOT of moving parts out of their solo grasp especially when they getting to the point of providing and distributing. Kanye. Is an artist. And don’t talk about that never said he was trying to be this or that cause at one point that nikka was trying to run and want people to say he on Jay and Wayne level rap wise. Knowing he ain’t been writing his shyt like that since the beginning. Kanye is enlisting 20 people to do a beat that 1 person can make and make better. Lol. That’s not genius. Kanye enlisting 20 people to write a rhyme that one person can make and make better. That’s not a genius. It’s not ironic that when dude had a focused team and he was locking himself down making beats and being hands on the product turned out better. This HIP HOP brodie. Ya man started believing his own hype and people need to stop calling this muthafukka a genius and call a spade a spade unless u ain’t gonna get no quality shyt from him ever again. What is he a genius at? His sequencing is trash. His compositions skills are all over the place. He don’t even get his shyt mixed and mastered right. What is he a genius at? Lol

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Kanye was never a "rapper" or full-time producer...He always sought assistance and help..

He is a genius entertainer..nothing more...

He created a vibe and sound of his own that defines his brand..Same with Apple and Tesla
That's a different argument than the one I replied to though. Like @spliz said, it's a false equivalence.

Also it'a not true that he was never a rapper or full time producer. I sat with him in a studio in 2002 while he wrote his own verses and hooks. He may have had help early in his career, and I know Rhymefest wrote Jesus Walks and Evidence produced Last Call, etc. There were definitely instances like these, but he took his craft very seriously in terms of making sure that a lot of what people heard was by his own hand.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
That's a different argument than the one I replied to though. Like @spliz said, it's a false equivalence.

Also it'a not true that he was never a rapper or full time producer. I sat with him in a studio in 2002 while he wrote his own verses and hooks. He may have had help early in his career, and I know Rhymefest wrote Jesus Walks and Evidence produced Last Call, etc. There were definitely instances like these, but he took his craft very seriously in terms of making sure that a lot of what people heard was by his own hand.
Exactly. Product was FAR better when he locked himself down. Made beats and was hands on. I never looked at him as the best rapper but he def was a better artist.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
shyt was a chore to get through
Yes it would’ve been better if it was shorter but it really was hard to get through and all of the gospel songs mixed and make it kind of confusing for me but I do like a couple songs by his flow is so off nowadays cramps too many words into one sentence on some Eminem type shyt

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Exactly. Product was FAR better when he locked himself down. Made beats and was hands on. I never looked at him as the best rapper but he def was a better artist.
No doubt. He's got 5 of the greatest albums in the history of the art. I never cared that he had help here and there because he was still throwing so much of himself into the music and he was still giving you his all.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
"Kanye is the living embodiment of the phrase “people aren’t just one thing.” He’s the devil on the shoulder who encourages saying whatever you want “just to see how it feels” in one moment, but the Super Christian making gospel music and refusing to curse in the name of Jesus in the next. He’s the man who proclaimed live on national TV that “George Bush doesn’t care about Black people,” only to become a Donald Trump supporter and his eventual political opponent. Kanye married and is now perhaps getting divorced from the most famous person on the planet. He’s so Chicago and so Atlanta and so Hollywood at the same time. He sucks, but he’s also awesome. Kanye is simply too interesting to ignore, and that’s how it’ll always be."

The Kanye West ‘Donda’ Exit Survey

This was more of a conversation than a review but overall I felt it was fair.