Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
"On his 2004 studio debut, The College Dropout, West was, at times, an anti-consumerist who joked about our obsession with material things and brand affinity. Years later, he’s come full circle, a venture capitalist trying to talk to God through gold ceilings. On most of his albums he has used a brain trust of guest stars to have a conversation with contemporary culture, but he was never outclassed by them as he is here. At the heart of Donda’s crowdsourced music is a diminished figure, one at odds with the witty rulebreaker of the past."

Kanye West: Donda review – misfiring lyricism from a diminished figure

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
the problem is the people who likes it always take it other the top. We can all agree that it's not a exceptionnal piece of work, so people sayin "this is a masterpiece" "it's the best album of the last 10 years" "this is michael jackson level right here", that tend to bother us a hip hop listeners. If it was just people sayin I actually like the album and keep it at that, there would be no problem
Lmao@Michael Jackson level. This shyt won’t have a single track get heavy radio play. Not even remotely close to that sort of impact. It’s 2021 & he’s going to get the views and internet play but nobody is going to be spinning these songs for the radio.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
He stood on his late mother’s porch with Manson, sang with him, openly mocking those women who were brave enough to come forward. Critics often have to remind themselves to review the music, not to get caught up in the hyperbole or controversy surrounding the artist. But by involving Manson, West has made this impossible. Donda leaves a sour taste that no number of good beats, gospel choirs or church organs will cleanse. Zero stars.”

Marilyn Manson overshadows everything about Kanye West’s Donda – review

They BIG MAD about him fukking with Marilyn Manson. That was a dumb ass decision…

This is the first ZERO STAR review they’ve given in 5 years:damn:

That's an incredibly unfair review because it has more to do with their opinion on someone who collaborated with him than the actual music. This is one of the reasons why I say journalism is dead.

Dolo

Superstar
Daps
Same cracker that gave it 0 stars got a Patti Smith quote in her Twitter bio :mjlol::mjpls:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
I'll be honest with you, I had no real interest in listening to the album but him dropping it on a Sunday made me go, why not ?

this does feel like his most focused album since Yeezus.
the sounds never veer all over the place like TLOP and despite its length its cohesive effort.

my god, Jay Electronica went crazy. its like he couldn't wait to get it out, that verse just spilled right out of him.

Jail
Off The Grid
Hurricane
Believe What I Say
Remote Control
Moon
Keep My Spirit Alive
Pure Souls
Ok Ok Pt. 2
Junya Pt. 2
Jesus Lord Pt. 2

24 and Off The Grid might be my favorites.

I listened to the album Trent Reznor produced for Halsey right after this and it made me think that if Kanye was ever to make a classic now, Trent would be that guy to work on it with him.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That's an incredibly unfair review because it has more to do with their opinion on someone who collaborated with him than the actual music. This is one of the reasons why I say journalism is dead.

Its almost on the level of the Rolling Stone review of King's Disease last year when the writer obviously had an agenda against Nas, calling the album the most misogynistic of the year:why:

I'm semi shocked that reviewers are really ripping into him. It felt like during the last two listening events the media was frothing at the mouth to hail the return of Kanye. That Marilyn Manson shyt really rubbed people the wrong way. My issue with Manson is that whatever statement Kanye THOUGHT he was making was bullshyt. Manson added literally nothing to the album nor the conversation surrounding the album except controversy. At the LEAST with including Da Baby, you got a verse that could be dissected and debated within the bigger context of Hip Hop's relationship with homophobia. But Manson is so far removed from Hip Hop, and his allegations so especially heinous, that on an album supposedly dedicated to his deceased mother, his inclusion feels like an act of a childish rebel without a cause.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Its almost on the level of the Rolling Stone review of King's Disease last year when the writer obviously had an agenda against Nas, calling the album the most misogynistic of the year:why:

I'm semi shocked that reviewers are really ripping into him. It felt like during the last two listening events the media was frothing at the mouth to hail the return of Kanye. That Marilyn Manson shyt really rubbed people the wrong way. My issue with Manson is that whatever statement Kanye THOUGHT he was making was bullshyt. Manson added literally nothing to the album nor the conversation surrounding the album except controversy. At the LEAST with including Da Baby, you got a verse that could be dissected and debated within the bigger context of Hip Hop's relationship with homophobia. But Manson is so far removed from Hip Hop, and his allegations so especially heinous, that on an album supposedly dedicated to his deceased mother, his inclusion feels like an act of a childish rebel without a cause.

I was thinking about the same review, and let's be real adding Da Baby doesn't help but at least he fits. I'm sure Ye was going for the forgiveness angle but he was a little to random with it.

Boolean

APIDTA
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY ENTERTAINMENT
He stood on his late mother’s porch with Manson, sang with him, openly mocking those women who were brave enough to come forward. Critics often have to remind themselves to review the music, not to get caught up in the hyperbole or controversy surrounding the artist. But by involving Manson, West has made this impossible. Donda leaves a sour taste that no number of good beats, gospel choirs or church organs will cleanse. Zero stars.”

Marilyn Manson overshadows everything about Kanye West’s Donda – review

They BIG MAD about him fukking with Marilyn Manson. That was a dumb ass decision…

This is the first ZERO STAR review they’ve given in 5 years:damn:

we don’t give a fukk about what this goofy bytch got to say :dead:

we gonna be okay :mjcry: