Just Starting Watching 'The Wire' And...

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
It's boring me to sleep. I'm through the first 6 episodes and it's not immediately catching my attention like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos did. They show the Police too much and the shyt is super predictable and boring. It's supposed to be one of the best series ever and I really wanna give it a chance. I know everyone has seen it, so tell me. Does it start to pick up, or is it like this the entire series?? No trolls please. Looking for serious answers of people who have seen the series..

I thought I was tripping. we are in the minority of those that think the show is super overrated

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
I love the wire but the first two seasons are like half:ooh: and half:ld:.....like if you consider the wire as a WHOLE they are fine but by themselves they don't really hold up like the other seasons do

Season 3 and 4 was the GOAT
Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely slower the first time you watch. But once you have seen how everything plays out it's pretty great to go back and watch.

Also eventually the show is going to get really dated. Thats just what happens. :yeshrug: But all the shows OP mentioned are better BECAUSE of the wire. They all learned from it.

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
That was one of the best things about the show. It's supposed to show the similarity between the institutions of the city. My favourite example of that is when some cop is getting destroyed by Rawls at the Comstat meeting for having bad stats, the next scene it jumps to Marlo interrogating Fruit about the declining sales on his corner :wow:
Exactly. The subtlety is amazing. Tearing down the towers was a 9/11 metaphor :wow:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Alot of cats ain't watch it while it was on, now they wanna binge watch 5 seasons worth of television, you asking for a bad time. The Wire was GOAT levels of writing and story telling. 05'-07' at my old job was daily Wire discussions and breakdowns. I miss the old crew. :wow:

yup, plus the attention spans for most people have gotten shorter. Nobody wants a slow burn anymore with world building and character development. Plus the show is dated too.

nikkas be wanting Spartacus type season finales for the opening episodes to shows nowadays. :mjlol: