Just Starting Watching 'The Wire' And...

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I know that its blasphemous to speak out against the Wire- but I think the show was HIGHLY overrated. Good? Absolutely. Cinematic masterpiece? Naw.

In fact- I am convinced half of the reason the show became so popular is because it taught white people some new lingo:

"Hey Tyler, my IPhone broke so I had to buy a BURNER in the meantime:smugdraper:"

:snoop:

Quite honestly, I thought the show focused way too much on the Cops, and I hate cop shows.
Thank you ... show was written by 98.9 percent white people and the white viewers felt like they were put on to some shyt :mjpls:

Can’t tell you how many times I was asked by a white person “do you watch the Wire man?”

I’m like , “Nah.” :hhh:

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
Season 2 was pretty good imo. Shows a different angle to the corners but amps it up to show the real power players.

If we look at each season as a look at a failing city institution they all pull together.

How are drugs getting in and who's controlling it and the one who has the connect has all the leverage even without the prime territory.

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
I agree with OP. I just watched it for the first time, finished it last week actually, and while good, its definitely overrated. I think its because I missed it when it came out. It seems too dated now. Some of the shyt that happens on the show would never go down now. Its almost comical. Folks would have been dead, cops included, maybe cause I live in Chicago... Great acting tho.

I also think cacs hyped it because they never had an inside look at hood life. They're fascinated more than anything.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It's boring me to sleep. I'm through the first 6 episodes and it's not immediately catching my attention like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos did. They show the Police too much and the shyt is super predictable and boring. It's supposed to be one of the best series ever and I really wanna give it a chance. I know everyone has seen it, so tell me. Does it start to pick up, or is it like this the entire series?? No trolls please. Looking for serious answers of people who have seen the series..
You’re not the only one. Around episode 6 or earlier, I stopped.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Although, the wire has its share of boring moments and dry spots, it still progressed into an all time great series.

If you don't like the wire by the 6th episode, then it's prolly not for you. :manny:

Season 2 is definitely a slow burn with some boring lows, but it got some high highs as well.

One thing I disliked about the show was how it kept randomly switching to different factions in the storytelling (one minute they in the hood and then all of a sudden they in the mayor office etc totally changing the vibe set with the previous scene....
I guess they had to do it in order to tell the whole city's perspective since the show had several main characters. I just think that could have been smoother.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
It's boring me to sleep. I'm through the first 6 episodes and it's not immediately catching my attention like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos did. They show the Police too much and the shyt is super predictable and boring. It's supposed to be one of the best series ever and I really wanna give it a chance. I know everyone has seen it, so tell me. Does it start to pick up, or is it like this the entire series?? No trolls please. Looking for serious answers of people who have seen the series..

If season 1 doesn't grab you then you might as well skip season 2 cuz that's even more of a slow burn. Season 3 is the goat but you'll miss too much context from the previous seasons.

Just watch season 4 as that's the most casual friendly, entertaining season. If you can't fukk with that then this show ain't for you. :manny:

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
Yeah I watched the wife a couple times. Wasn’t for me :yeshrug:. Characters and plot wasn’t that compelling for me to have zeroed in focus on it. S3-4 are good though

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone

first season is alright

2nd season is garbage

3rd season is dope

4th season is probably the most classic single season of a show you'll ever watch in your lifetime, up there with Game of Thrones and Westworld

5th season is just as garbage as 2nd season but it gives u some closure which is a positive

When comparing it to the other HBO greats, its only better than Oz.

Westworld >>> Game of Thrones >> Sopranos >>> The Wire >>>> OZ = Boardwalk Empire

Definitely a decent show worth watching, but yeah it's overrated. Breaking Bad is ahead of it imo (but it does indeed do some things better than Breaking Bad, its a bit more complex, the 4th season alone imo is better than every season of Breaking Bad but that alone doesnt make it a better show)

Last edited:

DatLBCGuy562

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ESLBC/21st & Locust
first season is alright

2nd season is garbage

3rd season is dope

4th season is probably the most classic single season of a show you'll ever watch in your lifetime, up there with Game of Thrones and Westworld

5th season is just as garbage as 2nd season but it gives u some closer which is a positive

When comparing it to the other HBO greats, its only better than Oz.

Westworld >>> Game of Thrones >> Sopranos >>> The Wire >>>> OZ = Boardwalk Empire

Definitely a decent show worth watching, but yeah it's overrated. Breaking Bad is ahead of it imo
Thank you for the insight breh. I’m gonna power through it. May I ask. What is Westworld about? Is it worth a download and a watch?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk empire are good tho :mjpls: :mjpls:

It was a chore to get through the first 5 episodes of the Sopranos. Then it picked up. They do that for a reason. Especially the characters that will be there for the long haul. Sopranos is a classic just like the wire.

I didn’t start watching the wire until season 3. Then went back to watch the first 2.

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
Thank you for the insight breh. I’m gonna power through it. May I ask. What is Westworld about? Is it worth a download and a watch?
Nothing is worth a download in 2018

stream everything and save ur HDD space

and to quickly summarize the premise with no spoilers

Westworld is basically a theme park designed to look like the wild west from the 1800s and its populated with life like androids (Human robots) dressed and behaving like people did from that era (think Jurassic Park, but with Robots from the Wild West)

Rich people pay thousands of dollars to visit the park and go on missions, adventures, kill the androids and have sex/rape with them (basically its a real life video game for them but with no consequences for their actions, u can do whatever u want)

Long story short, these Human Robots who are mistreated slowly start to "wake up" and become "conscious" one by one, and that's where the story gets interesting.

That's all i can say without spoiling anymore, just know that it's considered a "thinking man/woman's show" Well thought out and forces u to sit up in ur seat and pay attention to every little detail cause you'll know you'll need it later on (which the same can also be said about The Wire and Thrones, but I'm just personally enjoying this more than those two, but Thrones is right up there with it though, as is The Wire at its best moments)

The 2nd season is even more deep than the first, so much so that it had some people ppl (on this site also) were complaining saying it was pretentious that it was too much for their tiny brains

(but i loved it, cant wait til season 3)

HBO recently responded to the criticism and said kick rocks, this sh1t ain't for casuals, Nickelodeon is that way

:mjlol:

HBO Boss Responds To ‘Westworld’ Backlash: ‘It’s Not For Casual Viewers’ – TCA

Last edited: