Just started Boxing...Tips and advice?

PJTech

Pro
Daps
No, I don't even watch that stuff :snoop:

Well two people off the top of my head, somluck khamsing may be up your alley since he is evasive but knows where to land kicks. He never had a major championship in muay thai because they knew he'd win so bad for betting :wow: he is the first thai fighter to win a gold medal in boxing

Saenchai is another one, I'd like to say evasive thai fighters tend to be much more relaxed and play around more to fool people.

Buakaw is a given because he's shown everywhere he is a more solid but aggressive fighter opting to make sure he can take the shot or slightly evade and punish you.

For glory I'd say look up bazooka Joe he's very explosive but he makes sure he finds an opening being more defensive and shelling where needed.

I'll add some more if you want I'm just on my phone atm....

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
@patscorpio @krackdagawd @SkiHatDaGawd @LauderdaleBoss @Yuzo

I used to box for a year when I was 15 then had to give it up cause my mom was tired of taking me across town every day:francis:.....but that experience helped my hand game tremendously. was able to spar with a lot of talented guys. i'm really trying to get back on the grind though. do you guys think only doing mitt work for now would be a good way to get my mechanics back on point?.....thinkin of buyin some mitts and gloves and doin some workouts with the homies. do you guys have some good videos for working the mitts?

also could you guys link me to some quality mitts/gloves/wraps?

Last edited:

Super Future Luther King Jr.

You Deserve It
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rose Town
i just asked because i wanted to understand what kind of temperament he has and how he thinks about things. i want to understand what kind of man he wants to be. fighters represent these things to us when they fight and this is what brings us to boxing. its a calling and only we can hear it. thats the soul of a fighter. i want to know what kind of soul he has. most young fighters come to a gym the trainers just teach them to fight in the same generic style they teach everybody there. they get discouraged because a lot of times, maybe most of the time, thats not who they really are, thats not who they want to be. maybe they want to punch hard and they get disheartened because the trainer is teaching everybody how to arm punch because he doesn't actually understand how punching mechanics really work in boxing and then when a kid asks why they can't hit hard he says its because punching hard is some kind of boxing magic and they weren't born with it. the truth is that guy doesn't understand how boxing works and he is using the status he has as a trainer to make the kid think he knows what he is talking about so he won't ask too many questions. the kid hits the bags and he is at the gym every day throwing arm punches, he knows the punches are very weak, and thats not who he is, thats not who he came there to be. he stops coming to the gym. thats bad for the kid, its bad for the gym, and its bad for boxing because somebody it was calling to, and it doesn't call to a lot, never realized they had a soul of a fighter. they never realized it because the trainer killed it. but he was supposed to grow it and make it come out. so thats just why i asked that.

james-brown-crying-o.gif

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Breh go here http://www.titleboxing.com/
Get a pair of training gloves 14oz n up depending on your weight i'd go 16 (200+) or 18 (225) and these http://store.titleboxing.com/title-aerovent-xtreme-hand-wraps.html and learn to wrap your hands it can extend your boxing life for a while

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal

I used to box for a year when I was 15 then had to give it up cause my mom was tired of taking me across town every day:francis:.....but that experience helped my hand game tremendously. was able to spar with a lot of talented guys. i'm really trying to get back on the grind though. do you guys think only doing mitt work for now would be a good way to get my mechanics back on point?.....thinkin of buyin some mitts and gloves and doin some workouts with the homies. do you guys have some good videos for working the mitts?

My bad breh I didn't get this tag, doing something is always better than nothing even if it's mitts. :manny:

The guys at my gym use the everlast MT coach mitts and the mx mitts. as far as wraps use title Mexican 180 wraps. Glove wise I use the cheap everlast 16 oz on the heavy bag and the 14oz MX to spar, I have hand problems though so you might be able to go smaller. I've been looking to buy new gloves and Skihat recommended Grants, so i'll be checking those out this week.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

Apologies....

I'm late as fukk with this. For some reason I never got the tag.

If you have the opportunity to do the mitts, go for it. That shyt is good for your hand eye coordination, as well as cardio.

Make sure your homies have some boxing experience or if they don't at least show them the basics, therefore everyone can get the most out of doing it. Practice makes perfect though, but you should be able to at least start off with the basic jab and right cross routine and eventually add in hooks, uppercuts, smashes etc...

I used to love working the mitts, but there's not too many cats down here that can do it southpaw for me :mjcry:

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

Add in some Shadow boxing breh

Im sure the homies holding the mitts for you won't be moving around much...you don't wanna get used to standing still n throwing punches

Shadow boxing you can work on foot work, bounching around in n out, defense moves, as well as throwing punches

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
My bad breh I didn't get this tag, doing something is always better than nothing even if it's mitts. :manny:

The guys at my gym use the everlast MT coach mitts and the mx mitts. as far as wraps use title Mexican 180 wraps. Glove wise I use the cheap everlast 16 oz on the heavy bag and the 14oz MX to spar, I have hand problems though so you might be able to go smaller. I've been looking to buy new gloves and Skihat recommended Grants, so i'll be checking those out this week.

Apologies....

I'm late as fukk with this. For some reason I never got the tag.

If you have the opportunity to do the mitts, go for it. That shyt is good for your hand eye coordination, as well as cardio.

Make sure your homies have some boxing experience or if they don't at least show them the basics, therefore everyone can get the most out of doing it. Practice makes perfect though, but you should be able to at least start off with the basic jab and right cross routine and eventually add in hooks, uppercuts, smashes etc...

I used to love working the mitts, but there's not too many cats down here that can do it southpaw for me :mjcry:
dont even trip, tags never work for me either. but yea i'ma start this up. prolly goin with those MX gloves too. 14 oz cause I got wrist problems. good looks