Just started Boxing...Tips and advice?

PJTech

Pro
Daps
Boxing fundamentals

Technical strategy and ring tactics

Some sites I go to for refreshing my basics and things to practice alone or with a partner

For sparring, try not to get caught up trying to turn it into an actual fight. It never helps and sometimes causes more people to not want to spar again

You're going to have to openly communicate with them what level you are and what you're trying to work on, more often than not your partner will be happy to help you.

You may also have to consider talking to your coach if its okay to spar or work on mitts with him

Holding focus mitts for people:

Think of it as a game of Pat-a-cake, your just feeding them the mitts not stopping them.

Also just go slow, nothing wrong with going about it step by step before speeding up

Also for the website expert boxing, you can actually contact Johnny via email. He's pretty damn fast at responding

Hope this helps

The Knee Grow

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Addison rd Metro
Make sure you get your road work in. Learn technique very important. Shadow box with full extension slowly. Shadow box in front of mirror 1,2,6, 3,4,5,1 combo. repeat combo continually focusing on proper technique as you get better and more conditioned throw the combo faster and faster. Add you get better start pivoting after ever time you finish the combo on the left uppercut. This also helps teaching throwing punches off of punches

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Everyone said pretty much that needed to be said. Stick to your basics. Don't try to do to much. Also don't mirror anything you see(dropping hands ).

When you hit the bag. You need to do at least 3-4 rounds just with jabs. Jab to head, jab to the body. After that a 2 rounds of right hands. Then you work the 1-2s. After start your 1-2-3(jab-right hand-hook). And since you are just starting out. Only combos you should doing on the bag is 1,1-2-3 or double jab 1-2-3.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Jump a lot of rope...it'll help a lot with your footwork...you'll be less awkward

How I teach my son N how I was taught was get by a mirror...get in your boxing stance...jab N move forward ...step N jab...step N jab....do that bout 8765578 times

Then after a while add the right hand after N do that bout 4678655 times

You shouldn't be anywhere near a ring or trying to throw hooks or uppercuts until you got your 1-2 decent

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
A lot of gems were already dropped in this thread by the fellow Ring fam, so I'll touch on some other shyt. Some of it might not be some beginner shyt, but you'll need to know it anyway.

1. Whenever you do get the opportunity to spar (please don't ask or volunteer, let the coach suggest it.) Keep in mind that even though you're just sparring and working on shyt, still try to actually win the rounds/session. That doesn't mean go balls to the fukking wall. That just means to focus on your ring generalship and how you dictate things during the rounds. For example, If you're focusing on defense, make sure you jab and turn your opponent enough to thwart their offense. Don't just stand their with your guard up blocking punches. Make them work for it.

2. Boxing is like learning a 2nd language. It's easier to learn if you experience it and embrace it as much as you can. That means, watching boxing on tv and being open to opinions and thoughts from those more experienced than you. When I boxed, there used to be plenty of cats in the gym that didn't fukk with boxing outside of the gym. Their learning would start once they walked into the gym and would end once they walked out. You only sabotage you're ceiling when you do that. Learn as much as possible, even if it doesn't apply to you at that moment.

3. Whenever you're practicing your jabs or shadow boxing, do it within a circle. Basically box and move within a circle. Get used to making circular motions when you box therefore turning opponents and dodging punches will come more naturally. The smaller circles you make the better. This way you'll always be in range to counter and circling doesn't look as bad as just flat out moving all over the place for no reason.

4. Understand what your weaknesses are. Nobody is perfect. Know what you fukk up on and try to fix it off rip. Bad habits are harder to break once you're used to them. You got top level world class boxers that still make 1st day novice mistakes. That shyt is not a good look.

5. Understand your strengths and try to make them even better. Don't settle on just having a good left hook. Make that into a great left hook. You should be able to pull off your money punch in all types of different situations. Don't be one of those guys that can only use their special move when everything is going good. Be able to make things work, when shyt ain't going good. That means you'll need to develop different ways to implement your money punch. You might have to throw it after a particular punch sequence or defensive move. Be creative.

Hope this helps. :salute:

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Ok guys found this local place I'm thinking about training at this summer...
Thing is I'm small as chit atm(like 5'9'' 145) and just started lifting regularly
Should I wait and get my weight/cardio up for the next 6-12 months first?
How will weight training/sprints effect boxing progress and vice versa?
Or do they go hand in hand?