Just started Boxing...Tips and advice?

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Damn there's some really good stuff in here :blessed: the Coli came through for a nikka

I felt better going into training today, I realized the key thing I was missing was confidence. Like most of you said, repetition is key. I'm just going to keep checking my form in the mirror and shadowbox at home so I can walk into the class with more confidence

When I said "sparring" its what the instructor calls controlled sparring. Like all of the moves are half speed and you are supposed to focus more on your form than on speed.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
So I joined a boxing gym like a month ago and I'm going to start being consistent and actually get into it. I got a little discouraged at first because I have 0 experience and I suck. My punches are awkward and I couldn't properly put together a combination. I honestly didn't even know what a "5" and a "6" was :snoop:

Can Coli give me any good advice for an absolute beginner?

Any good youtube vids, articles, or links that I can use to study and get better? The only part of boxing I like right now is the conditioning part, because I can handle that. It's just the sparring that sucks because I have no idea what I'm doing, I can't even hold the pads right for my partner :snoop:

Help a breh out :damn:

who are your favorite fighters

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
who are your favorite fighters

1423857496_BARBA5.gif

:wow:

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Damn there's some really good stuff in here :blessed: the Coli came through for a nikka

I felt better going into training today, I realized the key thing I was missing was confidence. Like most of you said, repetition is key. I'm just going to keep checking my form in the mirror and shadowbox at home so I can walk into the class with more confidence

When I said "sparring" its what the instructor calls controlled sparring. Like all of the moves are half speed and you are supposed to focus more on your form than on speed.
I'm not big on that. Unless you working with a pro. And that's at least after 3 months of training. A pro that can work, will help you. You get in their with a nikka like you or don't know how to work you nikkas can get hurt. Not saying you can't hold your own. It's just that sparring it's totally different than a pick up game of basketball per say.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Ok guys found this local place I'm thinking about training at this summer...
Thing is I'm small as chit atm(like 5'9'' 145) and just started lifting regularly
Should I wait and get my weight/cardio up for the next 6-12 months first?
How will weight training/sprints effect boxing progress and vice versa?
Or do they go hand in hand?
Just to have an idea what does your weight lifting routine look like breh? How long and often are you sprinting?

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Just to have an idea what does your weight lifting routine look like breh? How long and often are you sprinting?
Try to sprint at least 3 times a week can range from 50-200m usually 70-100 though If I can find a hill
Lift around 5 days a week 2 of those days are bodyweight stuff only though)
Main lifts are bench, squat, deadlift and ohp

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Ali
Money May
Sugar ray leonard

I wish I could bob and weave like Ali and Money may :to:

you can. theres no magic in boxing. many trainers are going to try to make you fight a way that you may not want to fight. they are going to try to make you fight in a way that may not make a lot of sense or seem right to you and you train and train every day at your gym but you don't really understand why you are fighting this way and you go home and go on youtube and see sugar ray robinson doing everything your trainer says is wrong and knocking everyone out and you start to wonder who makes more sense sugar ray robinson or your trainer. you are going to ask your trainer why sugar ray can do things he says is wrong and the answer you are going to get is that sugar ray has some kind of boxing magic that you don't have. thats the wrong answer. your trainer can teach you what he knows but he can't do your thinking for you. nobody can think for you in boxing and the last guy at your gym that tried to count on your trainer to do his thinking for him never made it. do your own thinking.

the fighters that you want to fight like had great jabs. here are some things you want to know about the jab.

throw a lot of jabs and you're going to create a lot of slipping and a lot of countering on your jab. this is what you want your jab to do. you want your jab to do this because for every punch there is a counter, and because a counter is a punch too, for every counter there is a counter. there are only a few different ways to counter a jab and any time you throw a jab you are reducing the things your opponent can try to do to you in the ring to only a few different things thereby controlling what he is going to try to do to you. throw a jab and you reduce the things your opponent can try to do to you. throw more than a jab and you create more things your opponent can try to do to you.

when you throw a jab, and you are creating counters on it, try to understand what part of your punching phase the counter you are creating is starting on. the guy trying to counter your jab is using this part of your punching phase as a cue to start his counter. get in front of a mirror and throw your jab at it. when you jab try to memorize the way your punching phase appears as its starting and ending from the legs to the hips to the chest and the shoulder and as the arm starts extending and as it starts retracting back to your body. you have to read the way your opponent is reacting and moving against every part of your punching phase to know what part of your punching phase he is using as a cue to start his counter. when you are shadowboxing don't just swing your arms always try to remember the the way your punching phases appear to your opponent for every punch you throw.

heres one of the ways to counter a jab in boxing

v4ZI8DB.gif

buddy mcgirt knocks out joe gatti with a counter right hand over the top of the jab

this is a counter that you are going to see a lot in boxing. mcgirt slips a jab outside, so that it passes through the space that he has next to his left ear and over his left shoulder, and throws a right hand over the top of the jab as its retracting back to the body.

heres how you can create this counter and counter it

throw a jab and read what part of your punching phase your opponent is starting to slip the jab outside. generally this is going to start at the chest and shoulder part of your punching phase. as your arm starts fully extending you are going to start feeling your opponent moving his head down and away from it so that your jab starts passing into the space that he has next to his left ear and over his left shoulder during this part of your punching phase. when your arm is fully extended and your jab has entered through his slip space next to his left ear and over his left shoulder, you are going to start feeling his body starting to come back over on the end of your jab with the counter right hand. this is the part of your punching phase that your opponent is using as a cue to start to come over the top of your jab with the counter right hand and therefore is the part of your punching phase that you have to show to your opponent to create this counter. when your arm is fully extended, and you start feeling your opponent coming back over the top of it with the counter right hand that you have created, as your jab starts retracting out of that space and back to your body, throw a quick straight right hand so that as your jab is retracting your right hand is extending to the same space.

that was how hassan n'dam knocked down curtis stevens

BMQiCt8.gif

and that that was how shane mosley knocked out manuel gomez

fIewLFJ.gif

the right hand is a unique punch in boxing because its the only punch that causes the head to naturally slip when you throw it meaning that it is a punch and defensive move in one. when you are creating the outside slip and counter right hand with your jab always remember that the point in space that your head is on during the part of your punching phase that your opponent is using as a cue to start to counter is the point in space that your head has to move away from as you are throwing your right hand. when you create the outside slip and counter right hand with your jab remember that as you are throwing your right hand your head should always start naturally slipping the counter right hand you created so that it causes it to pass through the space that you have next to your right ear and over your right shoulder.

aqIgJIW.gif

george foreman gets hit with a right hand from evander holyfield because the right hand he throws doesn't cause his head to naturally start slipping the counter right hand that he created with his jab

azPmL3v.gif

and heres a different angle with jose napoles hitting carlos monzon with the same punch because of the same mistake

the right hands that they are throwing are not causing the head to naturally slip the counter right hands they have created because they are throwing arm punches. many fighters throw arm punches but i think arm punching is wrong. here is one of the reasons in boxing why thats true.

when you are at your gym and you are hitting bags and shadowboxing always try to imagine that you are fighting an imaginary opponent and always try to understand how you appear to that opponent. when you are hitting the heavy bag try to imagine punches coming back at you and countering the imaginary punches with your punches. when you shadowbox try to imagine creating counters and then countering the counters you created with your counters.

i know that you just started boxing and a lot of things may seem confusing. i don't know what to say to make everything make sense but pedro martinez was asked by someone about the art and science of pitching and whenever i see a fight i try to think about what he said because it was the best summary of what boxing is that i had ever heard...

Pitching is both art and science and you have to put them together. You have to study a lot. You have to study the movement of your pitches – the distance your pitches move compared to the swing paths of batters. You have to learn to read bat speed against the speed of a fastball. You can tell a slow bat or a long swing, or a short, quick swing. You counter those things. You repeat – you try to be consistent – until they start to figure out what you’re doing. If they don’t, that’s great. Just go through your routine and repeat, repeat, repeat. I wish I could have just thrown fastballs, but that wasn’t the case. I went along with the way the hitters and the game was going. I let the game come to me. I executed whatever I had to execute.

Last edited:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Try to sprint at least 3 times a week can range from 50-200m usually 70-100 though If I can find a hill
Lift around 5 days a week 2 of those days are bodyweight stuff only though)
Main lifts are bench, squat, deadlift and ohp

compounded exercises breh..keep doing those deadlifts and squats..make you more explosive...bodybuilding.com list some exercises that are good for boxing

Weight Training:
Training with weights will increase your strength and muscle size. Boxers need to focus on compound movements such as deadlifts and squats, which virtually work the entire body. Exercises such shoulder presses, pull-ups and crunches are also included in this program.

Exercises:
Barbell Deadlifts
This full body exercise mainly works the traps, quads, glutes, lower back and abs.

Barbell Squats
This exercise works the quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back and abs.

Barbell Bench Press
This exercise works the pecs, along with the front deltoids and triceps.

Dumbbell Shoulder Presses
This exercise works the front and side deltoids.

Dumbbell Shrugs
This exercise works the traps intensely.

Reverse Barbell Curls
This exercise is excellent for strengthening the wrist, which is crucial for a boxer. It works the wrist extensors, brachioradialis, brachialis and biceps.

Pull-ups
This movement works the lats, with assistance from the biceps and brachioradialis.

Crunches
Works the upper abs.

Hanging Leg Raises
Works the lower abs.

Sets:
Keep your sets to 3 for compound and abdominal movements, and 2 for the rest of the exercises. Boxers train with weights to increase their strength and power, so there is no need to train with high volume.

Reps:
For compound exercises, your reps will be 5, and for the rest of the exercises, reps will be 8. However, when you perform crunches and hanging leg raises, perform 25 reps. Use correct form on all exercises to prevent injury.

Rest:
In between sets, you should rest between 1 and 2 minutes to ensure your muscles have recovered.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
you can. theres no magic in boxing. many trainers are going to try to make you fight a way that you may not want to fight. they are going to try to make you fight in a way that may not make a lot of sense or seem right to you and you train and train every day at your gym but you don't really understand why you are fighting this way and you go home and go on youtube and see sugar ray robinson doing everything your trainer says is wrong and knocking everyone out and you start to wonder who makes more sense sugar ray robinson or your trainer. you are going to ask your trainer why sugar ray can do things he says is wrong and the answer you are going to get is that sugar ray has some kind of boxing magic that you don't have. thats the wrong answer. your trainer can teach you what he knows but he can't do your thinking for you. nobody can think for you in boxing and the last guy at your gym that tried to count on your trainer to do his thinking for him never made it. do your own thinking.

the fighters that you want to fight like had great jabs. here are some things you want to know about the jab.

throw a lot of jabs and you're going to create a lot of slipping and a lot of countering on your jab. this is what you want your jab to do. you want your jab to do this because for every punch there is a counter, and because a counter is a punch too, for every counter there is a counter. there are only a few different ways to counter a jab and any time you throw a jab you are reducing the things your opponent can try to do to you in the ring to only a few different things thereby controlling what he is going to try to do to you. throw a jab and you reduce the things your opponent can try to do to you. throw more than a jab and you create more things your opponent can try to do to you.

when you throw a jab, and you are creating counters on it, try to understand what part of your punching phase the counter you are creating is starting on. the guy trying to counter your jab is using this part of your punching phase as a cue to start his counter. get in front of a mirror and throw your jab at it. when you jab try to memorize the way your punching phase appears as its starting and ending from the legs to the hips to the chest and the shoulder and as the arm starts extending and as it starts retracting back to your body. you have to read the way your opponent is reacting and moving against every part of your punching phase to know what part of your punching phase he is using as a cue to start his counter. when you are shadowboxing don't just swing your arms always try to remember the the way your punching phases appear to your opponent for every punch you throw.

heres one of the ways to counter a jab in boxing

v4ZI8DB.gif

buddy mcgirt knocks out joe gatti with a counter right hand over the top of the jab

this is a counter that you are going to see a lot in boxing. mcgirt slips a jab outside, so that it passes through the space that he has next to his left ear and over his left shoulder, and throws a right hand over the top of the jab as its retracting back to the body.

heres how you can create this counter and counter it

throw a jab and read what part of your punching phase your opponent is starting to slip the jab outside. generally this is going to start at the chest and shoulder part of your punching phase. as your arm starts fully extending you are going to start feeling your opponent moving his head down and away from it so that your jab starts passing into the space that he has next to his left ear and over his left shoulder during this part of your punching phase. when your arm is fully extended and your jab has entered through his slip space next to his left ear and over his left shoulder, you are going to start feeling his body starting to come back over on the end of your jab with the counter right hand. this is the part of your punching phase that your opponent is using as a cue to start to come over the top of your jab with the counter right hand and therefore is the part of your punching phase that you have to show to your opponent to create this counter. when your arm is fully extended, and you start feeling your opponent coming back over the top of it with the counter right hand that you have created, as your jab starts retracting out of that space and back to your body, throw a quick straight right hand so that as your jab is retracting your right hand is extending to the same space.

that was how hassan n'dam knocked down curtis stevens

BMQiCt8.gif

and that that was how shane mosley knocked out manuel gomez

fIewLFJ.gif

the right hand is a unique punch in boxing because its the only punch that causes the head to naturally slip when you throw it meaning that it is a punch and defensive move in one. when you are creating the outside slip and counter right hand with your jab always remember that the point in space that your head is on during the part of your punching phase that your opponent is using as a cue to start to counter is the point in space that your head has to move away from as you are throwing your right hand. when you create the outside slip and counter right hand with your jab remember that as you are throwing your right hand your head should always start naturally slipping the counter right hand you created so that it causes it to pass through the space that you have next to your right ear and over your right shoulder.

aqIgJIW.gif

george foreman gets hit with a right hand from evander holyfield because the right hand he throws doesn't cause his head to naturally start slipping the counter right hand that he created with his jab

azPmL3v.gif

and heres a different angle with jose napoles hitting carlos monzon with the same punch because of the same mistake

the right hands that they are throwing are not causing the head to naturally slip the counter right hands they have created because they are throwing arm punches. many fighters throw arm punches but i think arm punching is wrong. here is one of the reasons in boxing why thats true.

when you are at your gym and you are hitting bags and shadowboxing always try to imagine that you are fighting an imaginary opponent and always try to understand how you appear to that opponent. when you are hitting the heavy bag try to imagine punches coming back at you and countering the imaginary punches with your punches. when you shadowbox try to imagine creating counters and then countering the counters you created with your counters.

i know that you just started boxing and a lot of things may seem confusing. i don't know what to say to make everything make sense but pedro martinez was asked by someone about the art and science of pitching and whenever i see a fight i try to think about what he said because it was the best summary of what boxing is that i had ever heard...

Pitching is both art and science and you have to put them together. You have to study a lot. You have to study the movement of your pitches – the distance your pitches move compared to the swing paths of batters. You have to learn to read bat speed against the speed of a fastball. You can tell a slow bat or a long swing, or a short, quick swing. You counter those things. You repeat – you try to be consistent – until they start to figure out what you’re doing. If they don’t, that’s great. Just go through your routine and repeat, repeat, repeat. I wish I could have just thrown fastballs, but that wasn’t the case. I went along with the way the hitters and the game was going. I let the game come to me. I executed whatever I had to execute.

holy shyt :damn:

This nikka came to this conclusion just by asking him who his favorite fighters were :why: :damn:

Breh my favorites fighters are BHop, Ward and Pretty Boy Vasyl what does that say about your boy krack :lupe:

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
i just asked because i wanted to understand what kind of temperament he has and how he thinks about things. i want to understand what kind of man he wants to be. fighters represent these things to us when they fight and this is what brings us to boxing. its a calling and only we can hear it. thats the soul of a fighter. i want to know what kind of soul he has. most young fighters come to a gym the trainers just teach them to fight in the same generic style they teach everybody there. they get discouraged because a lot of times, maybe most of the time, thats not who they really are, thats not who they want to be. maybe they want to punch hard and they get disheartened because the trainer is teaching everybody how to arm punch because he doesn't actually understand how punching mechanics really work in boxing and then when a kid asks why they can't hit hard he says its because punching hard is some kind of boxing magic and they weren't born with it. the truth is that guy doesn't understand how boxing works and he is using the status he has as a trainer to make the kid think he knows what he is talking about so he won't ask too many questions. the kid hits the bags and he is at the gym every day throwing arm punches, he knows the punches are very weak, and thats not who he is, thats not who he came there to be. he stops coming to the gym. thats bad for the kid, its bad for the gym, and its bad for boxing because somebody it was calling to, and it doesn't call to a lot, never realized they had a soul of a fighter. they never realized it because the trainer killed it. but he was supposed to grow it and make it come out. so thats just why i asked that.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
i just asked because i wanted to understand what kind of temperament he has and how he thinks about things. i want to understand what kind of man he wants to be. fighters represent these things to us when they fight and this is what brings us to boxing. its a calling and only we can hear it. thats the soul of a fighter. i want to know what kind of soul he has. most young fighters come to a gym the trainers just teach them to fight in the same generic style they teach everybody there. they get discouraged because a lot of times, maybe most of the time, thats not who they really are, thats not who they want to be. maybe they want to punch hard and they get disheartened because the trainer is teaching everybody how to arm punch because he doesn't actually understand how punching mechanics really work in boxing and then when a kid asks why they can't hit hard he says its because punching hard is some kind of boxing magic and they weren't born with it.

This is dead on, if you remember my first post in that pull counter thread was me thinking I didn't have the reflexes/measurement of distance for it. I thought that shyt was out of my jurisdiction. :francis: The way you broke it down there helped me understand why it wasn't working and what I needed to do to make it work. :salute: