Just saw 12 Years a Slave

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i don't understand how nikkas are hyping up another American slave movie as a must see... seeing my ancestors portrayed as weak and docile step-n-fetch it pussies whom are victimized by cacs over and over again with little to no resistance aint how i'm trying to spend my time.."Roots" and the other slave flicks were enough...personally I think the peckerwoods in the movie insutry only create these slave movie to reminisce on the good ole slavery days and promote white superamacy/black inferiority.

black people whom actually enjoy this bullshyt are the equivalent is self depricating cuckold cacs.

This post couldn't be more wrong IMO. Sometimes I think this attitude is the Black counterpart to white denials of slave history. Pretend wrongly that there have been tons of slave movies, which is not true, that they all portray slaves as docile, and that portraying slavery is some kind of emasculating brainwashing. A lot of people seem to be ashamed of the past to admit that we still haven't fully confronted it yet.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This post couldn't be more wrong IMO. Sometimes I think this attitude is the Black counterpart to white denials of slave history. Pretend wrongly that there have been tons of slave movies, which is not true, that they all portray slaves as docile, and that portraying slavery is some kind of emasculating brainwashing. A lot of people seem to be ashamed of the past to admit that we still haven't fully confronted it yet.

From what I've been reading and hearing 12 years a slave is the first film to get a major release in the U.S. that truly shows what Slavery was like. There's no sugar coating for white folks. In fact it seems as if white folks are being traumatized by this movie.

And you're dead ass right about there not being many major movies about slavery (especially in comparison to films about the jewish holocaust). The few films about slavery that are out there are very much from the white perspective and always make it a point to have a sympathetic white character.

little4209

All Star
Daps
I went to an advanced screening here in Philly, on Tues, it was definitely a good film and I wouldn't be surprised if there was Oscar buzz

little4209

All Star
Daps
This film is based off of a true story...there had to be a white savior, no way could this "slave" have gotten out of slavery on his own or with the help of other black slaves...use your brain

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really.... How many slave movies have their been?..I can really think of 2 to be honest...

There are definitely more than two, but they're few and far between. Most of them sanitize Slavery or make it a point to have it from the perspective of a white character. Funny enough the best ones seem to be made by people outside of the U.S.

Films on the Jewish Holocaust though are damn near a genre unto themselves.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Haven't read the comments in here. But I thought Patsy was a skinny chick. I was in shock for 30 seconds when I saw "that". Literally the :dwillhuh:
face. No way, Patsy is not getting nominated for Best Supporting actress. Film is an instant classic. Though Brad Pitt should be smacked for his narcissism. That was Spike Lee-esque putting himself in there like that. My main gripe though is that this can't be shown in schools, teens. Look, I get why the nudity is in there. But some parents aren't going to take them to see this b/c of that and that's messed up. I wish there was a way to show the hardship and at the same time be able to see it. And finally, I know some of those slave owners, had to act more ignorant then this movie portrayed them. No way were some of them were not country bumpkins.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
does this knock Fruitville out of any Oscar noms? (no pun intended)

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
does this knock Fruitville out of any Oscar noms? (no pun intended)

It shouldn't, but I keep forgetting that Mandela is coming out this year too.

No way do the Oscars give most of their nominations to black men. Tom Hanks is the only white man in a lead role who's got an Oscar buzz going for him this year.

If anybody should be knocked out of the running it SHOULD be Forrest Whittaker, but he made the type of film that white folks love and Jordan is so young they'll use the "He's got time to get more nominations" excuse to possibly exclude him.

12 years a slave is sounding like it's a lock for best picture, director, and screenplay though.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Haven't read the comments in here. But I thought Patsy was a skinny chick. I was in shock for 30 seconds when I saw "that". Literally the :dwillhuh:
face. No way, Patsy is not getting nominated for Best Supporting actress. Film is an instant classic. Though Brad Pitt should be smacked for his narcissism. That was Spike Lee-esque putting himself in there like that. My main gripe though is that this can't be shown in schools, teens. Look, I get why the nudity is in there. But some parents aren't going to take them to see this b/c of that and that's messed up. I wish there was a way to show the hardship and at the same time be able to see it. And finally, I know some of those slave owners, had to act more ignorant then this movie portrayed them. No way were some of them were not country bumpkins.

I don't see why not considering parents made their kids watch Schindler's list and that had nudity.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

What are you talking about Narcissism ? Brad Pitt didn't write nor direct the movie.

And a movie of this magnitude and with this subject matter shouldn't be shown in schools . I would say it's up to black parents to show their children and educate them on African American history.