Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Except the fact Django Unchained wasn't directly ABOUT slavery in a literal sense. It used both the spaghetti western genre and it's setting around slavery to tell a story about a BLACK HERO. If anything, it was an allegory to why black people TODAY aren't and still are living IN a slave mentality. In fact listen to Candie's speech...

What are you talking about?

Before he even wrote the script Tarantino was running around telling everybody that would listen that he was going to make a film about slavery but it was going to be a genre film. He said some shyt about America doesn't want to touch on the topic of slavery because there's so much guilt involved. The Stephen character as when know him doesn't even fukking exist if not for the system of slavery molding him into that person. Django and Hilde's struggle doesn't exist without slavery. So how the fukk in that narrative is the black man the ultimate enemy?

And even if what you said was true (which it isn't) that would prove what I said about the problematic elements of the film. It'd be a white director absolving white Supremacy from it's historic crimes, which is bullshyt and an offense worthy of a beatdown.

Also i'm not sure why you would cite Candie's speech when the entire point of the character was that he's a uncivilised idiot who's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
currently in todays climate...we pretty much are.
Yes, there are plenty of things working against us...but we want to continue to be blind once we are exposed to truth...who's fault is that?

Yeah that's bullshyt.

If you want to say black people could do MORE, fine whatever.

Going as far to say that black folks are their own worst enemy is straight bullshyt. If there was no system in place specifically to oppress black folks and shyt was still they way it is you might have a point, but that's not the case at all.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
black people could do more? we are our own worst enemys?

lol you gotta love eurocentrics

the white man has never taken out the knife he put in the back of the black man

exactly, who's going to take it out? they sure aren't we have to...that's the angle I'm coming from. Things are in place now where we could do significantly better as a people. We just haven't realized who the enemy is and put things in place for us to work together more. Cacs are not going to do these things for us. That's just real

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly, who's going to take it out? they sure aren't we have to...that's the angle I'm coming from. Things are in place now where we could do significantly better as a people. We just haven't realized who the enemy is and put things in place for us to work together more. Cacs are not going to do these things for us. That's just real
you honestly dont think we've tried? you think our TRUE great leaders were assassinated for no good reason

the fight goes on, this empire will fall!

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
you honestly dont think we've tried? you think our TRUE great leaders were assassinated for no good reason

the fight goes on, this empire will fall!

breh I know we've tried. I'm saying we gotta switch the style up, have no more 'leaders' for them to snipe. Just talk amongst ourselves on the humble tip and execute the plans.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
breh I know we've tried. I'm saying we gotta switch the style up, have no more 'leaders' for them to snipe. Just talk amongst ourselves on the humble tip and execute the plans.
that starts with unity and studying our own history

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
that starts with unity and studying our own history

exactly, that's what I'm talking bout... nikkas in general don't even care to know right now.
Like this movie here... it should anger us and make us focus on taking care of self first, instead brehs just won't see it. :snoop:

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly, that's what I'm talking bout... nikkas in general don't even care to know right now.
Like this movie here... it should anger us and make us focus on taking care of self first, instead brehs just won't see it. :snoop:

if you dont study your history you're doomed to repeat it

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But that's the point, isn't it? You don't find something strange about someone using slavery, metaphorically or analogically, to suggest that Black people are their own worst enemies?

But that's the actual point of THAT film. you may not AGREE, but that was the message. The real mastermind was Stephen, everyone in that picture who was WHITE acted bumbling, ignorant, dimwitted, and lost. The real antagonist was the one who 1st knew of the scheme before telling Candie. He was the one with the INTENT to who his own back! This is a CLEAR reflection towards how black people are today. You may not agree with it, but that was the overall message to that film.

Keep in mind, and this is where I believe you are confused at, that film is NOT a study on slavery and SHOULD NOT be analyzed as such. It was, like the film before it, a REVISIONIST FANTASY where instead of black people being the victim, there the ones that come out on top in a period such as chattel slavery.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Again, the entire point. The whole reason behind why Schultz and Candie cancelled each other out. The whole reason the sole hero and the true antagonist was left standing. There only way to succeed is for US to stop sabotaging US. Most of our "leaders" downfall is due to one of their OWN selling them down the river. That's just a fact. It's not to the point that the black man is totally submissive and mentally enslaved when they DON'T HAVE TO BE. It's without question we are the most DIVIDED race within these United States with the most unemployment, the highest school dropout level, with the most populated prisoners, with the most lethal violence put upon each other, yet the highest consumers in spite it we being the lowest in purchasing within our OWN community. The MAJORITY of our woes are SELF-inflicted today, and you going to tell ME that we AREN'T our own worst enemy?? Django Unchained is a reflection of us TODAY.

B-Rock Odrama

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i don't understand how nikkas are hyping up another American slave movie as a must see... seeing my ancestors portrayed as weak and docile step-n-fetch it pussies whom are victimized by cacs over and over again with little to no resistance aint how i'm trying to spend my time.."Roots" and the other slave flicks were enough...personally I think the peckerwoods in the movie insutry only create these slave movie to reminisce on the good ole slavery days and promote white superamacy/black inferiority.

black people whom actually enjoy this bullshyt are the equivalent is self depricating cuckold cacs.

Last edited:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Of course none of the theaters around Kentucky are showing the film :beli: am I just gonna have to wait until it comes out on DVD?