Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:pacspit: white boy

I like to laugh and be entertained when I go to the movies:beli:

Someone told me Schindler's List was a good movie. But I'll never know because I don't want to be all depressed and shyt.

Do you breh. But not all black folks wanna go see a movie where black folks are treated like animals and shyt. No matter how good the acting and directing is and historical significance.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
there wasn't a white savior in django... dr. schutz was killed off for a REASON just so it gives django the undisputed rank of hero. people would have a small mind if you ASSUME that just because schultz bought django his freedom at the beginning of the film that he's a savior. the real recognizes real when you saw how the roles of leader and sidekick dramatically got reverse further onto the film to the point the so-called "savior" almost jeopardized everything and got himself killed.

that film ought to be more APPRECIATIVE, because of the fact it represented a black hero in a world, then as well as NOW cease to exist.

I saw this too but it went over a lot of people's heads. Its also one of the main reasons why white folks didn't like the last part of the film. (they couldn't relate to Django murking everyone)

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I cant stand that shyt, that's why wont see Django, The Help, The Blindside...etc

I've been hearing Brad Pitt's character is the white savior and I wasn't going to see this shyt because
of it, but I dug Chewitel since Talk To Me and I liked some of the things McQueen has said about
the project...he doesn't strike me as a director that's
down for the okey doke. I'm tired of seeing slaves, maids
and butlers on the big screen, but
I'm exicted to see this. I think it'll be an honest and genuine portrayal of that time.
No fake, slapstick bullshyt.
:umad:

#white excellence :lawd:

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
there wasn't a white savior in django... dr. schutz was killed off for a REASON just so it gives django the undisputed rank of hero. people would have a small mind if you ASSUME that just because schultz bought django his freedom at the beginning of the film that he's a savior. the real recognizes real when you saw how the roles of leader and sidekick dramatically got reverse further onto the film to the point the so-called "savior" almost jeopardized everything and got himself killed.

that film ought to be more APPRECIATIVE, because of the fact it represented a black hero in a world, then as well as NOW cease to exist.
But why does Foxx have to wait the whole movie to be undisputed hero? He didnt even get to kill the the bad guy. What part of the game is that? Even Will Smith, who was up for the role saw through that.

My problem with the Shultz character is the same problem with other movies involving race. They arent needed. These characters are in the film to balance out any wrongdoings of other white characters and ease the guilt the white audience might have about the white villian characters actions. White folks wouldnt sit thru a Nat Turner movie without a Shultz. That's why I say, these movies werent made for us.

If you're going to do a slave revolt movie, and an authentic one like Tarantino implying Django was, then do it right without the bullshyt. Denmark Vesey didnt have a white savior, mentor, advisor, counselor.

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't see Chiwetel winning the Oscar. As amazing as he was, he was entirely outshined by Lupita and there won't give the Oscar to both of them.

So I think she will win Best Actress (hopefully she qualifies for that and not Supporting Actress because she anything but a supporting role in that film) and McQueen will hopefully get best director. We still have a ways to go in seeing what the movie's competition will be though.